February 14th, 2009
1 year ago

Sources: Obama to sign stimulus Tuesday in Denver

President Obama will sign the economic stimulus bill Tuesday in Denver, Colorado, two officials said Saturday.

(CNN) - President Obama will sign the economic stimulus bill Tuesday in Denver, Colorado, two senior administration officials confirm to CNN.

Both officials cited a desire to get out of Washington - to go, in the words of one official, “out west in an area hit hard economically, away from the politics of Washington.”

The other official described Denver as “a place that will see the benefits of the bill in hiring workers.”

Obama traveled to areas hit hard by the economic downturn last week, holding town hall meetings in Elkhart, Indiana and Fort Myers, Florida. He met with workers at a Caterpillar plant in Peoria, Illinois on Thursday, after the company announced 22,000 layoffs.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Stimulus
  1. Not a Math whiz but?

Not being a math genius or economic wizard as so many profess to be but ho about doing a bit of simple math? 787 Billion and there are like hmmm according to the last census 286 Million in this country. Lets round it up to 300 million. You want to really stimulate the country, five Every single man, woman and child a million dollars. He will still have 786.5 billion dollars to do as he sees fit, the country will all be millionaires and spending will hit the roof. Whats wrong with this plan? No one will fel like they have to work again for the rest of their lives. Bad? You tell me. It will make a very happy wouple of generations, If the 786.5 is banked and earns interest at the current rate even, we should be able to do the exact same thing in about twenty years. The world will love us because we live so extravagently and all will be well Isn't this where America has always wanted to get to? After all to make everyone in the country a millionaire cost so little compared to almost a trillion dollars. Come on, we are waiting on THAT check. LOL, fat chance though, it is too simple and straight forward.

February 14, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  2. Penn Voter

What a shame. None of these Senators and Congressmen that have approved this bill have really taken the time to read and understand the impact of this bill. For the most part these are the same fools that approved Bush's push for attacking Iraq, without reading the evidence.

They are selling America and selling the future of our children so that they can bring pork back to their friends.

February 14, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Saybah

The press, including CNN, continue to underestimate the president and push the Republican talking points, while the president fans out into the country to hear and see the actual suffering of Americans.

CNN and others are fixated on this premise that the president failed at bipartisanship. Little do they know that people like me, who are unemployed see a total different picture.

CNN is reporting that the states will take their time to use the aid in this stimulus bill. You wonder about their cracker jack reporters, who don't even know that there is an amendment that requires each state to start spending the money within 45 days.

But no, CNN and the media are fixated on whether this president failed. That his plan will not work.

Have we heard them once ask the Repbublicans for a coherent alternative plan? No. Are they going to ask the Republicans if they will accept the money or not? To his credit, the only one I've heard ask that question is Wolf Blitzer. But Wolf and his colleagues are all inthe same boat, fixated with who won or lost today.

Perhaps if any of these people were in dire straits like those of us unemployed without health care, they probably would be asking the right questions.

February 14, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Lochmon

Another "out-of-DC" trip coming soon: Obama plans to announce the details of his program to aid in preventing foreclosures this coming Wednesday in Arizona. That state is supposed to be one of the hardest-hit by the tidal wave of foreclosures; it is also of course the state Senator John McCain is elected from. McCain has in recent days turned from his early stated goal of supporting the president to being a harsh critic. It will be interesting to see how he handles this particular program from the administration, after being unveiled before his own hurting constituents.

February 14, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  5. Steph

never heard such whining, crying, denying as I have heard from the
    Refusapublicans lately. oh wait , I have heard it before.
    Refuse to participate, then cry because thy 'couldn't participate, then do the great don't blame us doublespeak we are so familiar with and so, so tired of.
    we elected Obama . We aren't asking for perfection but we are asking for courage and putting your country before your own political interests.
    Remember that one?
    Obama shows more courage than the whole flock of republicans in the senate or the house... and their robot commentators. Obama should keep taking to the people.

February 14, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. dean dalil

I guess the oven is begining to be too hot for the GOP. As we see obama has won and could be ahead to a new relection in 2012. The republican are running toward the center of germany as history mentioned it when russian were to take over the whole germany if our army did'nt rush to save west germany . The GOP was never concentrated in the stimulis but in the contrary interested to feed the public that Obama is not capable to save them by using propangada rising to diminish the surrounding of PREZ OBAMA . They want to play the Mccain failed game when he suspended his campain by showing that he was wroking on the Morgage Crisis. this is a win for OBama and if he win another legislation or this stimulis appear to be elevating our economy the GOP will be running for cover and will never recover until something really happen . Bottom line, they want Obama to fail by pushing the stimulis in their way to get credit in order to push Palin or Jindal for 2012. They even tries to elect Mr Steeler to lead the party which in other he wont even be serving in the board or maybe not even accepted in their meeting. HYprotical Steeler is a patsy and he dont know it . he thinks they really want him . wake up Brother !!! they are using you . REPUBLICANs are far to accept blacks in their party . but waht do we know . they will sale the mpther's house to get what they want.
    sheers the stimulis and god bless all american without exception .

February 14, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  7. Mike

Have any of you even read the bill. I think something should be done, but building Frisbee golf courses and giving money for obesity and to stop smoking are pet projects and pork, not stimulus. Obama said he was for change and that he didn't want to repeat things that have been done during the Bush administration. If that is the case, and according to you and Obama the republicans are responsible for our debt because of their spending, then CHANGE would be to not spend so much money, not to spend as much as you can as fast as you can. This bill is nothing more than democrats rewarding all their special interest groups while trying to scare the American people into supporting it. The only reason Obama wanted Republican support is so he would have someone to blame when it failed.

February 14, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. annie - Palin 2012

Could someone please tell bo that he won the election so he will stop with the campaigning. Maybe the bill won't be legal if not signed in the white house. That would be too good to be true! Maybe it is because Colorado is one of the states thinking about pulling out of the union. Whatever his stupid reason, I can't take another campaign speech!!

February 14, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. screwbrainz.com

I think the stimulus bill is a great idea. Ole bushie screwed this country so bad we hardly have a choice.

February 14, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Quintin

I appreciate all the heart felt efforts that President obama has demonstrated since taking office. He is doing all he can to difg us out of a very difficult situation. I pray God will lead him to do the right thing for our country and that all Americans be blessed.

February 14, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Lynn

I like hoe the President is getting out of Washington to talk directly to Americans rather than having everything he says filtered through the media and the partisanship of Washington, DC.

February 14, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  12. Caleb R

If this email makes it to a post, let me ask you some questions Ed's Kate, tell me specifially why the Republicans are arrogant for letting their voice be heard regarding this spending bill? Are they not entitled to their own opinions and vote? Also, tell me how this mess we got ourselves into isn't equally upon the shoulders the democrats? There's no evidence that allows the blame to be put solely on republicans for this economic mess. Please Please Please give me an answer.

February 14, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  13. Thomaja

Who got us in this mess? Both parties share in this, as do Americans who thought living beyond their means is a good thing to do. How about asking Barney Frank about forced lending and Fannie Mae & Freddy Mac?

Who has really had time to look at this shopping list you and I and our kids will be paying for? What happened to the 48 hours we were promised to look at this monstrosity? What about our President's pledge to wait for 5 days until he signs a bill? He was the one who demanded 40% tax cuts 60% spending – this bill is 27% tax cuts, the rest spending. And by the way, there is NOTHING in this stimulus for small business – the "Real long term solution to this economy (Obama, January 2009).

How about cutting payroll taxes on small business and personal tax cuts instead of spending for the first year? Then, head up these initiatives. I give this "Stimulus bill" a 10% chance of working.

February 14, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  14. Sam

I pray for this man (President Obama).
    I believed that he is taken the country into a new direction and he never forget his promises in his campaign and in his books which he made to Americans... Either republican, democrat or independent, our generation, generations would never forget the spirit of the moment to reclaim America. God bless America.

February 14, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. Susan Shortill

Kudos to the three Republican Senators who stood up to their own party and voted to get this debacle resolved and back on the road to recovery...I am a Maine Democrat, and you better believe that I vote for Collins and Snow every time they come up for re-election. I can promise you that now that their own ridiculous party is planning on "expending every effort to make sure they don't get elected again," I'll be joining every effort to keep them in Washington. They are two women who vote with their heads and hearts, irrespective of their own party's threats. The economic stimulus plan may or may not work, but Specter, Collins, and Snow are at least willing to try a new direction, rather than letting partisanship grind us all into the ground. When is the rest of the Republican party going to stop being part of the whining and start being part of the solution?

February 14, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  16. Joe

I have decided to foreclose on my house. Not because I can't afford it, but because I feel I deserve to be bailed out just like everyone else who was irresponsible. There was nothing in this stimulus package to protect or reward the people who were keeping it legit and worked hard.

February 14, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Scott

I wish I could share in the optimism of the others who have left comments. I don't think this stimulus bill will stimilate the economy at all...and certainly not this year. I sincerely hope I am proved wrong! The sad thing is that I don't think half the folks of voted yes for this even read it...we deserve better than this. There should have been a 2 week period or so that it could at least be read! There is so much pork in there it is sickening. This is a bill that will effect us for generations to come...so I pray that it does something to help the economy but I have serious doubts that it will!

February 14, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  18. Leslie Griffith

Welcome to Colorado President Obama! We look forward to your administration of hope and change! We are working for change here in our small town of Saguache, Colorado, especially in the area of energy independence by attempting to change the energy requirements for our town by using solar alternatives. Also, so many are stepping up to volunteer in many areas of need!

February 14, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. hdj8501

I am very proud of the job President Obama is doing however I am dumbfounded by the republicans reaction. The very idea that they would oppose the stimulus because if it's successful that means President Obama would be re-elected is an outrage and every American no matter how you voted should be outraged as well!

February 14, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. Main Street America

Did they get a money to build the fence on our southeran boarder???
    That would be stimulus and not pork??
    So it probably won't cut the mustard
    to many Americans want it
    Our lack of boarder control
    is just not intellegant
    but rather stupid
    stupid is as
    stupid does

February 14, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. Betty

This Stimulus Bill is not the answer to the economic crisis. There is to much spending that is not going to stimulate the economy. Why is it Obama did not allow us to look at the bill before they voted on it. It makes you wonder what is really in this crazy bill created by Pelosi.

February 14, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. Colleen

I have been unemployed for 8 months and there are no jobs at all in my industry. It is impossible to career shift when so many other folks are also out of work. I have 8 weeks of unemployment benefits left and President Obama has been true to his word to help us and the economy so far. This stimulus package will extend the unemployment and hopefully jobs will open or and I will not loose my house which is all I have left after loosing my company, my entire retirement nest egg and all of my personal savings. I have watched this happening since April 08, having lost almost everything, I has been at a loss as to how to know what to do next. The hopes of many Americans ride on this new president.

February 14, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. C.S.A republicans

The southern state republicans want president Obama to fail because they are still trying to win the war and bring back slavery via the "Right to Work Act" which really means the right to be a slave to the companies in the south like foreign auto companies and walmart etc.

February 14, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  24. msf

The rep. had 8 yes 8 years and did nothing... Now they cry they did not have enough time to read the bill. Oh well times up, you all blew it in 8 years, go cry in your Washington Beer...

February 14, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  25. iwasindependent

Let the Republicans from now on be known as the GNP- Grand No Party. They are children completely uninterested in governing our republic. Is the POTUS the only adult in D.C.?

February 14, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |