MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) - Republican Norm Coleman's attorneys Monday sent a letter to the three judges overseeing the election trial asking them to reconsider their game-changing ruling from Friday that put significant limits on the types of rejected absentee ballots they want examined.
The judges on Friday outlined about a dozen categories of ballots that should not be counted because they said those categories of ballots were not legally cast under Minnesota law. Those included ballots in which signatures didn't match, those submitted by non-registered voters or those inside a return envelope not signed by the voter.
But Coleman, who is seeking to add more rejected ballots to the recount of his November 4 race with Democrat Al Franken for a U.S. Senate seat, argued that not including all of about 4,800 ballots he wants re-examined was a matter of equal protection.
In their letter sent to the court Monday, Coleman's team is arguing that "likely thousands" of the ballots that had been sifted through during the recount process could have fallen under these now-taboo categories.
"Without a remedy, we will be faced with a widespread equal protection problem that would not only violate the law, but create Constitutional legal issues that would only delay this process further," Coleman attorney Ben Ginsberg said.
The court also ruled that absentee ballots dropped off on election day and absentee ballot applications that were not signed would not be reconsidered.
After these new guidelines defining legitimate ballots, Coleman's attorneys estimated that around 3,300 ballots might be eligible for re-examination.
There is no word on when the court could issue another order on this, if they decide to at all.
The state's hand recount completed in early January and gave Democrat Al Franken a lead of 225 votes. The trial moved into its fourth week of proceedings on Monday.