February 17th, 2009

McCain blacklists The View?

The view co-hosts grilled McCain in September.
The view co-hosts grilled McCain in September.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain just may have blacklisted the hit talk-show The View after a heated, somewhat confrontational, appearance on the program last September.

According to Barbara Walters, the show's creator and co-host, McCain told her at a recent Washington event he won't be appearing on the daily gabfest "any time soon."

"He had been on The View and was not very happy," Walters told a gathering at Syracuse University, according to Portfolio.com. "And when we walked out and I saw him I said, 'Senator, so nice to see you. I hope you'll come on The View again.' And he looked at me and said, 'Not anytime soon.'”

Appearing on the program at the height of his campaign for the White House, McCain was aggressively pressed on Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's qualifications to be vice president, as well as negative campaign ads that several independent fact-checks had called downright misleading.

Walters specifically challenged Palin's reformist credentials, noting McCain has served in Washington for more than two decades and asking repeatedly, "Who's she going to reform, you?"

The Arizona senator is not the only member of the family who may have sour feelings toward the show. McCain's wife Cindy, after a contentious fall appearance of her own, declared that the co-hosts "picked our bones clean."

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. Humored In Texas

McCain doesn't like hard questions. McCain chose a fool for a running mate. He thought he should have had soft toss questions like Bush had to "endure."

Surprise, John!!!

February 17, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Brad of IL.

Bunch of old washed up has been. John McCain should tell these ugly women too hang up there show. Thanks John for showing how racist these people really are.

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. Dan

Hey Liz, for a man that was running for president he should be able to handle the pressure. I'm glad the people spoke and voted Obama and not McCain and his half wit Palin... If you believed in McCain then you're a half wit yourself.

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. MJ Indy

I wasn't watching "The View," however, I will definitely watch from now on. I won't be watching McCain's favoirite station, FIXED NEWS, anytime soon.

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Ted

Poor John McCain there with a bevy of beauties.

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. J

"If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen"

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  7. Sleepless in Colorado

Yes they did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. Pat

The View is totally Democratic, including Barbara Walters and excluding Elizabeth and anything about Republicans is always treated badly.
    I cannot believe how Elizabeth has been able to remain on the program.
    And she is really to be admired.

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  9. Rose Black

McCain and his wife, Cindy, couldn't stand the scrutiny and the trust made them look like fools! If you can't stand the scrutiny, you shouldn't be in politics. It amazes me how people want to pretend that he and Sarah Palin are so moral. McCain cheated on his invalid wife and married a drug addict; while Palin has committed an abuse of power while in office on more than one occasion. I am thankful that they lost the election. After Bush, this country couldn't take "Dumb & Dumber" being in the White House!!

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Used to vote Republican

All fair questions. McCain picked a VP candidate who was not qualified to be in office. And certainly, his campaign was aggressively negative when his opponent ( Obama) ran a much more refined campaign. Why would the View want him on again?

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. DeLong

I personally think the view should be cancelled. It is just a group of loud mouth very opinionated, understanding it's the "view" but they especially Joy, OMG what a loud mouth....Please shut her up, I can't believe she's a comedian, surely not funny...

I agree with the Senator gabfest....that's all they do, turn to NBC Kathy Lee is surely not downgrading and doesn't seem to talk politics like the view, it's disgusting...

blah blah and more blah for you JOY..

February 17, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  12. Alexander

The view is downright disrespectful. I cant understand why anyone who has differing views would go on that show, they act like babies and fail to use any mature interviewing tactics.

February 17, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

POOR BABY.... ya he would been a great president. He can't even handle an interview by a bunch of old women!

I saw the interview. McCain was smug and smirky and his wife was pissy from the getgo.

GLAD YOU LOST.

February 17, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. raagos

scared again gop need babystters

February 17, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. Getting Worse

They're even further left than Oprah. I haven't watched either of them in years and I will *never* watch either of those shows again.

What a beautiful way to push a far left liberal socialist agenda than on television in the guise of a "talk show".

February 17, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. Patty in the CA mountains

Like it's their fault he's stupid....

February 17, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Debbie

How could they ask him questions about his pick for vice president? What does she have to do with anything? They should have asked him about the weather!

February 17, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  18. Bud Burgoon-Clark

The McCains are bitter because he lost the election. They both should retire from public life.

February 17, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. Brett

After seeing the show I really don't blame him. But you have to have kudos to the View for asking the questions that many of us were thinking, such as how in the world could Sarah Palin be qualified.

Of course, republicans who believe that any republican in office can do no wrong always have to whine. Shows you real quick who out there don't act their age.

February 17, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  20. Anne Miller

Who cares if he's not on the show, he's old news anyways

February 17, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. Hoffman

I believe all of the hosts on this show are talented. I have seen parts of several shows. There does not seem to be much there which is helpful in advancing civilization. Nonetheless, I wish each of the hosts well and continued success. If I hear they have elevated their performance, I will watch.

February 17, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  22. Junni

Sour grapes.

I don't want to see him on The View anyway.

February 17, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  23. Polly

I think he should go back on and debate them. So should Palin.

February 17, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  24. Madame

Barbara Walters is far from being Washed-Up. You sound like a former Co-host, I wonder which one ....Please John McCain is no gentleman, not now, not ever.

February 17, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |