February 17th, 2009

McCain blacklists The View?

The view co-hosts grilled McCain in September.
The view co-hosts grilled McCain in September.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain just may have blacklisted the hit talk-show The View after a heated, somewhat confrontational, appearance on the program last September.

According to Barbara Walters, the show's creator and co-host, McCain told her at a recent Washington event he won't be appearing on the daily gabfest "any time soon."

"He had been on The View and was not very happy," Walters told a gathering at Syracuse University, according to Portfolio.com. "And when we walked out and I saw him I said, 'Senator, so nice to see you. I hope you'll come on The View again.' And he looked at me and said, 'Not anytime soon.'”

Appearing on the program at the height of his campaign for the White House, McCain was aggressively pressed on Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's qualifications to be vice president, as well as negative campaign ads that several independent fact-checks had called downright misleading.

Walters specifically challenged Palin's reformist credentials, noting McCain has served in Washington for more than two decades and asking repeatedly, "Who's she going to reform, you?"

The Arizona senator is not the only member of the family who may have sour feelings toward the show. McCain's wife Cindy, after a contentious fall appearance of her own, declared that the co-hosts "picked our bones clean."

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. Susan

Can you blame him? The ladies treated him like trash when he was on but sucked up to Obama like he's a God. Besides the show stinks.

February 17, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. rainlee

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

February 17, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. Jon

What did Barbara Walters expect? You attack anyone... Democrat or Republican like that... and you think they wouldn't have any harsh feelings? Hey, come on my show so I can stab you in the back again... with a smile on my face of course.

February 17, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  4. Jeff

McCain is pathetic and an example of what 27 years in Congress does to a person's pride and ego: A little bit of criticism and honest skepticism, and the old man get's hot under the collar and feels put upon. The guy was and has never been a leader or model of anything other than how to schmooze and play the media.

February 17, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  5. Denise

I'm sure The View will receive higher rating not having him on the show. Too many of the Republicans are bitter now. Forget about Country First...Pride First; then my interests; and somewhere around 31st in the list is bipartisanship. Too bad - so sad! I know you won't post this, but it is the truth.

February 17, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  6. Codey

Woe is McCain. I think Walters went for the throat because nobody else could/would. He was sitting on that couch, and had to answer the questions.

Someone called him out on mangling the truth.. a politician being held accountable?! Oh heavens forbid!

Rock on Barb, and the rest at the View.. you handled this interview just like you should have.

February 17, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. Frank

My my temper temper

February 17, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. Beverly from NC

McCain is still the sour out-of-touch old bad-tempered man he was back during his dishonorable campaign.

He is out telling lies about bipartisanship and about the contents of the stimulus package. With McCain, truth is optional.

Amazing how much McCain opposed the stimulus package when his own state of Arizonia is #2 as the most in debt state and the #2 in having the worst housing market in the nation. He voted against the people of his own state who are in desperate straits.

Of course, McCain doesn't even know that. He has a rich wife who pays all his bills and funds his opulent lifestyle. Remember, he has 7 houses and 5 NON American cars.

That McCain – he sure is Country First!
    HA-HA-HA.

McCain has always been "McCain first". Remember Arizona, he is up for reelection next year. It's time to get rid of this man of the PAST. He will never be part of restoring this nation because he does not have a clue the nation is even in trouble.

Vote McCain out in 2010 – he is too old and his judgment is less and less sound.

February 17, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  9. Jon

I would never what "The View", I can't stand either Barbara Walters or her right-wing extremist fascist antithesis the blonde woman Elizabeth KnowsNothing.

But on the other hadn, I wouldn't watch any program that interviews John McInsane, not even Saturday Night LIve. The senile senior senator from the AriZone is washed up, over the hill, gone bonkers...etc., and I wish he'd just ride over the sunset and disappear like his fellow dinosaurs.

February 17, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  10. AB

McCain is just being himself – a cantankerous old fool.

February 17, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  11. Sandy

The View was way too prejudicial in the appearances of McCain and Obama. There should be some civility and respect given to guests and there was little given in the interview with the McCain's – and I am not a McCain supporter. – while they just gushed over the Obama's. I just believe that this little group has got overzealous. I do not watch them – only the antics that get reported other places. They could be a good forum but not acting like they have on numerous occasions. It is sas that American journalism is dropping to this attack level.

February 17, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  12. lanaigirl

It's a really good thing McCain was not elected, if he is so thin skinned that he cannot handle questions on a talk show. What would he have done with world leaders? Gotten mad, and said he didn't want to "play" anymore? I mean, really.

February 17, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  13. Mel

Politics are about debating different sides of issues and anyone involved should be able to discuss why they think their views are right and listen to those who have a differing view. I think John McCain is a good man that wanted to be President so bad he forgot who he was... and that cost him the election. I would have liked to see a debate with the REAL John McCain and Barack Obama... I think that would have been a political highlight for both Republicans and Democrats!

February 17, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  14. JJ in FL

obviously most of the women on the view have a liberal outlook on things– so what? they asked honest questions. politicians can't expect to have every media appearance "in the bag" when they get interviewed. obama got grilled by bill o'reilly– but he held his own (imho). if you can't handle a bunch of women on the view, jm, how would you have been able to handle REAL confrontation– from north korea, iran, etc.?

February 17, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  15. S.S., MD

McCain and Cindy made a choice to appear on "The View", so what is this hateful statement by Liz, abt. Ms. Waters. She's a brillant host, and she is well respected. As for McCain, is he a gentleman when he and Cindy, were on stage with a woman exposing herself at a campaign event, ' 08.

February 17, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  16. Katie

They treated him like crap and I didn't think that was fair.... and Im a Democrat and thought it wasn't right.

February 17, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  17. fed up with the political shows being put on by the GOP

Liz, you're joking right? Thye had every right to question him. He just wasn't tough enough to take it. The show is really a noise fest rather than a show. He has a right to refuse, and I could care less.He is just doing poitical things now, to get attention and make the president look bad. give pres obama a chance and stop posturing!!

February 17, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  18. Lance in PA

This is NOTHING. Obama is going to pay GM and Chrysler 20 billion dollars to lay off 46,000 workers. He is going to send MORE troops to the Middle East.

Change you can believe in!!!

February 17, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  19. Daniel, Atlanta, GA

Had McCain, Palin, or any GOPer won the presidential election, I was prepared to move out of the country. The View should be honored that McShame has blacklisted the show; its a real badge of honor!!

February 17, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  20. M.H.

McCrypt can't hold his own with anyone with a brain, so he pouts. Look who he chose for his V.P. candidate, and look who blasted him in the debates .... and is sitting in the big house now. McCain needs to cash in his chips, and go watch tumbleweeds tumble in the desert.

February 17, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. California Gold

I would presonally feel uncomfortable as the guest on that type of forum because I enjoy the one-on-one interview, but I thought Senator McCain did quite well, as did Mrs. McCain, Mrs. Obama and most others. Senator McCain must have had a problem were the type of questions from women who did or did not support his view. That's why they call it THE VIEW. Didn't he understand that?????

February 17, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  22. Dylan from MN

At that point in the campaign, every McCain ad was ridiculous, misleading and untrue. For someone who spoke out against negative campaigning in 2000, ran the ugliest campaign in recent memory. I lost almost all my respect for McCain because of it, he deserved to get grilled.

February 17, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  23. Jim D, IL

Whiner. What a cowardly, vindictive, angry old man.

February 17, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. Ex-Republican

Senator McCain: the man who committed treason while serving in uniform, the man who dumped and cheated on his wife, The man who consistently voted against better treatment of our soldiers and veterans. Gee, why would any one not like this guy?

February 17, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. Ellie

This is just too funny. If I was Johnny Boy I wouldn't want it known that I got a "beat down" by 3-4 women on The View. HA! HA! HA! HA! Whew...... this is hilarious.

I KNOW the women on The View are cracking up every time they see this fool, I know I would be on the floor hooting and hollering.

This just proves that John McCain is nothing but a trash talking SISSY.

February 17, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |