February 17th, 2009

Stimulus: Now for the hard part

Obama will sign the stimulus bill into law Tuesday.
Obama will sign the stimulus bill into law Tuesday.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - President Obama on Tuesday will sign the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law. But he's far from being able to declare "Mission Accomplished."

Even though debate over the legislation was fraught with partisan fighting and what some characterize as strategic missteps by the nascent administration, getting the law passed was the easy part.

Far more difficult will be gauging whether the legislation's trademark initiatives - which include improving physical infrastructure, investing in energy projects and providing financial relief for families by way of tax cuts and increased government benefits - are really doing the trick.

Full story

Filed under: stimulus plan
  1. RJ

This isn't the 1930's
    Construction jobs aren't going to pull America out of a recession.
    And unless E-Verify is made permanent, most of those jobs will go to illegals. Tell me I'm wrong. I dare any of you.

February 17, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. Give me a break!

I've got my sleeves rolled up. How about the rest of you? What? You don't want to do anything but sit on your negative pitty-pot and do nothing to help your country? Then MOVE! Not one person got us into this mess, and not one is going to get us out. At least there's a plan...where was the Republican solution? Oh yes, tax cuts...for their wealthy friends (who own mansions that they're trying to dump). That's a much, much better plan for middle and lower income families. How silly of me...

Obama Victim...you're only a victim of your own ignorance. And I'm a Republican before you start spewing typical liberal lies.

February 17, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Michael J,

If this bill doesn't work...his presidency is over.

February 17, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. arithmetic is liberal

All right, enough CRAP, Obama Victim

I am officially calling you out!!

What SPECIFICALLY has Obama done to you to turn you into a "victim"?

Are you a bailed out Wall Street CEO whose pay was cut to $500K?
    Are you a member of the former administration who lost their job?
    Are you a sparrow that got sucked through an Air Force One engine?

THEN YOU'RE NOT A VICTIM OF ANYTHING!!!

Go take some Pepto-Bismol if the thought of having a Democratic president is just too much for your delicate constitution to bear. Other than that, suck it up, man up, and deal with the fact that your regional cult party isn't in power!!

I've been WATCHING YOU for months, and you have no insight, no solutions, no original thought, and all you do is spew bile. You spew so much crap the back of your teeth must be brown. As if this will make any impact at all. For God sake, I'm probably just giving you exactly what you want...

February 17, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. C.S.A republicans

@Obama Victim.The only victim was your poor mother.

February 17, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. Fan of Common Sense

WRECKLESS AND TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE!! I can't believe the American people are allowing their country to be sold out from underneath them like this.........to the Chinese.

February 17, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. ladymack

Obama Victim February 17th, 2009 2:26 pm ET

not a chance…………..only three years and 11 months to go

-----------------------------

Can you leave the Country now and come back in three years and 11 months; or better yet can you come back in seven yrs and 11 months, because HE WILL BE OUR PRESIDENT FOR 2 TERMS!

February 17, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool

Censored again by CNN, thank-you Sir may I have another?

February 17, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. jes

I am not in 100% support of the stimulus but I still do not understand why no Republicans have taken one iota of responsibility for the situation our country is in now. The years of business first, less regulation, greed, wars that never needed to be started, along with one eye closed on the shady dealings of financial "advisors" contributed greatly to our current situation and I have not heard one person who is not an Obama supporter admit to that. It is impossible to correct mistakes and move past them unless you can take responsibility for your actions. At least Obama is saying the buck stops here and is listening to the people instead of saying "so what" which is exactly what Bush and Cheney did.

February 17, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. Peggy

Obama Victim
    You have to be some kind of a nut who do not understand anything, but hate. Who the hell card what you think.
    You rather suffer and see the American people go under every day, instead of being supportive of a Black President, to see this thing through, you and the hard core Republicans are noting but a lot of dog phoo.

You need to go under a rock and stay put.

February 17, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  11. hadelaide

All the pundits and analysts trying to second guess this man have been proven wrong so far. Just like the negative reports from the spies who were sent out to view the land, Joshua (a young man) stood up to lead the way. Pres. Obama, our prayers are with you as you continue to deal with the herculean tasks facing this nation.

February 17, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. Ryan

Seven years and 11 months to go you mean Obama Victim. The Dems are actually trying to do something and letting people see what it is. I am sure George W and Dick are your heroes so wouldn't you feel more comfortable on Hannity or Limbaugh's site? No way this country will let the Republicans at the helm again anytime soon. They had their chance. Look where we are at.

Goofy!

February 17, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. William

I sincerely hope the so called stimulus package has a positive effect. I do not see where it creates or saves many jobs and from my perspective there is way too much spending on "pork" for lack of a better term. If for some reason it does not work, or makes matters worse, then at least the Democrats own it and can begin to accept responsibility for their own actions. I prefer capitalism over socilaism, call me crazy!

February 17, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. NY republican

"Mission Acomplished" – the Dow-Jones is now down another 271 points!

February 17, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Angie in Pa

Obama Victim
    Maybe more like 8 years to go!

February 17, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. Sam Sixpack

Sure he can claim "Mission Accomplished." Your money is now speeding on its way to his rich friends. What else is left to be done?

Of course, lots of money will be spent “studying” the poor and funding bureaucracies to "help the poor." Nonetheless, the poor will still, as always, pay far more than they will ever receive. Then again, who cares?

Meet the new boss – same as the old boss.

February 17, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Sam Sixpack

Sure President Obama can claim "Mission Accomplished." Your money is now speeding on its way to his rich friends. What else is left to be done?

Meet the new boss – same as the old boss.

February 17, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  18. Gerri Adams

WHERE IS THE CHANGE ?

February 17, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. Dave

I'm so glad he finally signed it. I worried the whole weekend that the economy would collapse while Barack flew home to Chicago for Valentine's Day and President's Day.

I should take comfort that he has his priorities straight and wouldn' t let the greatest financial crisis since the Great Depression ruin his dinner plans or his pick-up basketball game. On a postive note, based on the reviews of Table Fifty-Two where they dined, he did inject $200-$400 into the Chicago economy for the meal. It makes my outing to Lonestar with my family look unpatriotic by comparision.

February 17, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Anonymous

If we can stand 3 years, 11 mos. more, which I doubt at the rate he's spending! Look at the showy so-and-so! Typical! All flash, flitting around in Air Force One, his "new ride" he's so proud of and is showing it off. He should be absolutely ashamed after signing away our tax money but, obviously, he's not. Fall, fools, fall!

February 17, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Matthew, Detroit

LadyMack....

Favorite song for $500 Alex...

I am Dreaming.

You are the winner.

February 17, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Griff

Barack Obama will Fail. Barack Obama will go down as the Worst President of the USA.... Barack Obama the Dreamer...

February 17, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. MSNBC News

Give it up CNN, you WILL NOT print more "Obama Lover" stories than us no matter how hard you try!

February 17, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. RJ

Come on CNN... post ALL the comments or none of them. Your selection is obvious and very one sided at times.

This isn't the 1930's
    Construction jobs aren't going to pull America out of a recession.

February 17, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. Jeff- Texas

What about oil exploration??? You people soon forget the $4.00 gas prices. All this money invested for green energy. Remember what your great one said "I am glad the prices went up, just not this quick" Be ready to pay another $4.00 for gas in the next 4 months. You think the recession is bad now? wait a few more months. Not one thing about becoming oil independent. He is an idiot!!!!

February 17, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |