February 18th, 2009

Palin told to pay back taxes

Palin received per diem payments even though she was staying in her own home.
Palin received per diem payments even though she was staying in her own home.

(CNN) – Alaska officials have told Gov. Sarah Palin she must pay back taxes on the thousands of dollars she received in state per diem funds while living at her home in Wasilla.

The Washington Post first reported last September that Palin had billed the state for nearly $17,000 worth of meals and other living expenses while staying in her own home during the first 19 months of her administration, even though the official governor’s residence is in Juneau.

The news clouded Palin’s self-styled image as a small government reformer, just weeks after she was tapped as John McCain’s running mate. At the time, Palin’s office said the governor was entitled to the payments.

Alaska administration commissioner Annette Kreitzner told the Anchorage Daily News on Tuesday that the governor’s office had asked the office to review the tax treatment of the per diem payments after questions about the funds were raised.

Kreitzner told the paper that following the review, the per diem payments will be treated as income and that a revised W-2 statement will be sent to the governor.

Palin’s office would not say how much she owes in back taxes, or if she would continue to receive the payments.

UPDATE: Palin spokesman Bill McAllister tells CNN that Palin "will abide by all IRS regulations and rulings and will pay what she owes. That number, though, is not a matter of public record."

Post updated 3:02 p.m. EST

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Aaron

I wonder if she and Joe the Plumber go to the same accountant.

February 18, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. John Patterson

It does say a revised W2. So I would say its the states book keeping. If my W2 did not reflect part of my earnings I wouldn't pay on it either. Guess when its politics people get horns and don't read well!

February 18, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. Chris

I actually really do despise her BUT the article is not about pathetic Palin not paying her taxes. If you read it correctly, it is saying that she had additional income and now she has to pay taxes on that additional income. Since the additional income was "earned" last year, I assume that is what is considered back taxes.

February 18, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. nolaf

“The amount of taxes owed is a private matter,” Palin spokeswoman Sharon Leighow told the paper.

How could that possibly be correct? The per diems came from taxpayers' money. How could the amount owed be private information???

As the right has howled about Geithner and Daschle, where does Palin fit into their argument?

February 18, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. Debbie

Why don't we start a list of who *does* pay taxes in Washington.

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  6. Rumsfeld

You've been told Sarah. So much for attempting to appear more noble. You're just a domineering hick who thinks your opinions and perspectives should be adopted by the rest of us. Get off my bus!

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  7. Snake eyes

HA HA HA HA!!!!

LAUGHING MY ARSE OFF!!!!

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  8. VB Lincoln Park NJ

Predictable:

You have hit the nail right on the head!!!

Faux Noise is just that! No wonder their ratings are slipping like you know what thru a goose!

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. donna

@Sophia the amount of skeletons in the Dems closet pales in comparison to those of the ReTHUGlican party...we have a life...and getting defensive over this story is not a good way for you to spend yours...

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. ray

hypocrites, hahahah the republicans , the party of values. i hope and pray that all republicans could vanish and let this country be a better place.

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Ren from Baltimore

Gov Palin, you should have been paying these taxes annually. Your accountant should have caught it, or certainly you as chief financial officer of the state of Alaska.

Just pay it and comment no further; if asked later, say it's all taken care of-next question? It's not as if it has run on for years and years.

February 18, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. Film Professor

"My country tis of thee
    From my front porch I can see
    Russia and stuff" (Saturday Night Live)

Hey Palin, you hypocrite. Take the boat over to Russia permanently, and take your crazy family with you. But please pay your taxes before you go.

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. just Joe

Nan February 18th, 2009 12:31 pm ET

"Why isn't this story posted ALL OVER fox noise.com today??? Any takers on this question???"

Because Fox is not a news channel, it's a Republican PR/entertainment outlet.
    _______________________________

And CNN isn't biased??

I will say this...at least Jack Cafferty actually had some scrutiny for the stimulus package. I assumed he would defend it as hard as he pushed for Obama.

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. Danielle

Good! It's about time that she pay back that money to Alaska that she ripped them off for! I'm so tired of politicians thinking they are above the laws of our great land. It's money I'm sure Alaskans need at this time with our economy doing so horribly. I'm from California and it's really bad here,cause the morons can't agree on fixing the budget crisis.

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. Chris - Denver

OK. Let's not tolerate any more sanctimony from Republicans regarding tax problems of Obama's cabinet picks. This makes tax problems for both of their candidates on the presidential ticket. Where is Limbaugh and Fake News harping on this?

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  16. Nifty 60 female in Colorado

Thsi is really TRUE.....years ago the IRS billed me for 15 cents and I had to put a 25 cents stamp on that envelope. I think we as a nation should put our foot down on politicians and let them know that we no longer tolerate their dishonesty. We the people out nnumber them. Apaartheid eventually came to an end in South Africa because the people out numbered the government. I don't know this is any longer the best country in the world. Our freedoms are slowly taken away, anyone can listen in on you, jobs going to other countries and what is left is that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  17. UN predictable

"Why isn't this story posted ALL OVER fox noise.com today???" Yeah you NEVER see anything bad about Sarah Palin in the news!, /sarcasm

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. Kerrigan W

I think since the politicians dont pay their taxes, im going to stop paying mine!!! Oh wait I cant it comes out of my check every time I get paid!!

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. Ben

How "mavericky" of her....

February 18, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. Miss Lead

It seems that trailer park trash also are tax cheaters.

February 18, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. destined

I guess the readers here overlooked the fact that Palin's office issued a statement that they initiated the investigation so that they could do the right thing here. Geesh!!!

February 18, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Seth

Perhaps Obama will be looking at her for a cabinet position now?

February 18, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. rich

The issue here is NOT back taxes. Typically per-diem is not taxable income and since that is now changing for her, I can't get upset about back taxes. What I can get upset about is the poor judgement and GREED she has shown by charging the state for the convenience of living at home while in office. Jon Steward once called the Palins GRIFTERS in a comedy skit. He was right.

February 18, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. tom

Any one who understands per diem knows that it is an allowance given to off set cost of lodging, incidentals and meals while working away from home. Surely Palin had to question whether getting paid while at home was an abuse of per diem rules. Why is it so difficult for our so called leaders to stay out of trouble with what many of us consider no-brainer issues?

February 18, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  25. bsmith171

how about GEITHNER paying his penalties?

February 18, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |