February 18th, 2009

President thanks online followers for stimulus push

President Obama sent an e-mail to his online backers thanking them for their support of his stimulus plan.

(CNN) – President Obama sent an e-mail to his online backers thanking them for their pushing for his stimulus plan, his first e-mail to supporters since his inauguration.

”You organized thousands of house meetings. You shared your ideas and personal stories. And you informed your friends and neighbors about the need for immediate action. You continue to be a powerful voice for change throughout the country,” the president wrote in the e-mail to his internet followers. “This is a historic step - the first of many as we work together to climb out of this crisis - and I want to thank you for your resolve and your support.”

Organizing for America — now an arm of the Democratic National Committee — called on the president’s supporters to hold house parties and distribute state-by-state aid breakdowns earlier this month to help boost public support for the plan as Congress weighed the package.

The president also highlighted Recovery.gov, his new website aimed at tracking dollars spent and jobs created by the bill. Visitors to the site are able to weigh in with comments and questions regarding the allocation of funds distributed by the bill, and submit their own economic hardship stories.

Filed under: President Obama • stimulus plan
  1. Laverne

@ Mike: I take it you did not vote for Obama?? He has been president for less than a month and has gotten more accomplished when it comes to the economy and other things than Bush did in his entire presidency. He is a great president and you along with all the others who continue to disrespect the president when soon be left looking as stupid as you look now!

February 18, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. Shari, NY

Come on Sue! It is not the price of the suit but the contour of the body that makes you look like the bomb. In other words, some people can wear a $20 dress and look far better than one in a $200 get up. Thanks for the comic relief.

February 18, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. DB

Lisa in AZ, love it! Yes, I would walk to DC to support this president and what he is trying to do for the American people - all the American people, even those who oppose him. This is not someone to underestimate - despite carrying the weight of so many things on his shoulders, he will prevail.

February 18, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. cheryl brooks

Keep up the good work Mr.President U're doing an outstanding job. We're behind you 100% percent. Whenever you need our support just bring it to the streets. Bush got tons of money to fight an illegal war, you didn't hear a peep. Bush said go shopping travel this is why they hate us... Bla Bla Bla. Now from all this shopping and buying and getting loans and too many credit cards somehow I believe all this was a set up. How is it that one guy only makes $7K a year or about that much, he got a loan for about $300K??? Everyone needs to be investigated....GO TO THE SOURCE.

February 18, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  5. Luke

Venia –
    like most on the left, once things don't work out your way you forget facts and try to rewrite history.
    TARP originally FAILED because of the Republican opposition (those "obstructionists" right?). Go back and read the news. Back then, we saw the same sorry old story we saw for the spendulus bill. Democrats crying about Republicans hating America because they wanted SOMEONE to try reading a massive spending bill before just blowing a trillion dollars.

Democrats rallied and forced TARP down our throats in the end anyway. And now that it turned out to be unpopular, the left has this crazy idea that TARP was a Republican idea and the Democrats hated it all along.

The same thing might have happened with the porkulus bill, but the Republicans were smarter this time around and voted almost unanimously against it. It will be harder for you to make up history this time around.

February 18, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. WhoCares?

I am so impressed that he hasn't already forgotten about the people that got him elected.

He goes to the people to talk about policies and to sign policies. He takes question from normal people of all political views in order to explain the issues more clear to them.

He allows the people to share in the long road of recovery.

He makes us part of the process.

I was very nervous that once he got elected he would turn into a Washington-Only politican and forget about how he got elected.

But when I hear him say that he NEEDS to go out and talk to the people it really brings me hope he is all that I hoped he would be.

February 18, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  7. Cheryl

So Sue, you don't even want the president to buy his own clothes with his own money? Such comments make bloggers like you seem hate-filled and irrational. As if you're on a vicious campaign against Obama because he is a) not Republican or b) not white or c)both

February 18, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. Ann

big joke

February 18, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. Staunch Democrat

Please.

Per your last statement " A big thanks to the 'party that won'. Reveals your party affiliation, so stop trying to pretend that you were an Obama supporter "organizing house meetings" in your neighborhood.

You fool no one.

The President received 53% of the vote and the stimulus reflects that. Therefore you and your party lost again...sit back and stop sulking.
    __________________________________________________

This is CHANGE February 18th, 2009 1:59 pm ET

Mr. President, we DID organize house meetings in my neighborhood of 80 home owners. NONE of us are in default, ALL of us are living within our means. Every one of us.

A big thanks to the 'party that won'.

February 18, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. DG

OMG. President Obama thanked some of us American citizens for our help. That's a far cry from that guy who just left Washington. All he ever did was tell us how lazy we were and how we didn't want to work. He said that was why he had to open the gates to all the Mexicans. So if that's all you losers can find to whine about today just go right ahead and whine. I, for one, supported President Obama and will continue to do so. I was thrilled this morning to open my email and have a thank you note from the President of our great country. Why don't all you losers leave America? Remember the saying "LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT THIS MEANS YOU."

February 18, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. NY republican

@Venia – once again the "bank bailout" was passed by a DEMOCRAT majority !!!!!!!! Most of the "rethuglicans" voted against that, too. Do you and those like you have such short memories or is it just easier to blame it on Repubplicans instead of those that actually passed the thing?

February 18, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. Frank Callahan

Obama thanks all the college students who don't pay taxes for all the support. These students are so foolish as to think this will not effect their futures, too.

February 18, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. NY republican

Hey – Staunch Democrat – In answer to your question last night. My house was paid for shortly after Fannie and Freddie was passed (Clinton). It was recently appraised at 115,000 (bought at 30,000). My stocks were sold when the Dow slipped to 10,000 (bought the last time they were in the 7000's). Apparently all those economics courses I took paid off , literally!!! Maybe you should take a few and learn how it all works.

February 18, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. ron

so, all you online supporters read and understand the bill? just like obama? oh, wait... he didn't read it either...he was just the spokesman though, so it doesn't matter, right?

February 18, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. NY republican

Hey – Staunch Democrat – So glad you're here today – In answer to your question last night. My house was paid for shortly after Fannie and Freddie was passed (Clinton). It was recently appraised at 115,000 (bought at 30,000). My stocks were sold when the Dow slipped to 10,000 (bought the last time they were in the 7000's). Apparently all those economics courses I took paid off , literally!!! Maybe you should take a few and learn how it all works.

February 18, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Truth Hurts

The conservatives are whining and crying but they have not brought anything worthwhile to the table!! Considering that Obama inherited this mess, whatever he does good will help!!

February 18, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. NY republican

Staunch Democrat – I'm trying to answer your question but there "must be a problem" at CNN, it won't get through.
    Anyway the short of it is I made a bunch of $$$$ because I bought when I should have and sold when I should have. The market (stock or real estate) is not rocket science.

February 18, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. america first

we love you President Obama.

February 18, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Steve (the real one)

That metallic sound is the robots who are reponding with a thank you when all they did was call the dems to vote for this junk! Lisa in AZ is gonna do the "robot "all the way from AZ to DC, Simmy has in great wisdom declared Obama the best ever after less than 1 month. It is pathethic! Not a one of you had a congressional vote! So what exactly did you do? You all rmind me of the "Stepford Wives".

February 18, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. barack obama is still just B.O.

BO is quickly becoming the joke about the office. Quite an accomplishment for only 1 month.

And for those of you thanking the president, are you the ones getting the bailout money? If not, I apologize for not knowing you were stupid.

February 18, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. American45

Has anyone bothered to read the stimulus plan – it is a joke. Libs need a "nanny" to guide them, give them whatever they want – Obama wants to be king, so you all fit right in. Read the stimulus plan – I have never seen so much garbage added to something in my life. I for one don't care about green cars, rats in California, or the highway between Las Vegas and LA. How is that going to fix our problems.

February 18, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  22. Texas Teacher

hey, so far.. he has kept his promises. After 8 years of Bush/Cheney it is refreshing! He inherited this mess.... he did NOT make it..... give it a break!

February 18, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Linda from Minnesota

I am worried for our nation but not because of President Obama or the stimulus package.

If you read the blogs on this post, they are filled with hate. People calling people liberal scum, retards, etc. What has happened to decency towards each other. I am a liberal, I have a job, pay my taxes, own my own home. I don't agree with Bush or many republicans in general but I don't think they are scum.

I am liberal but work for a living. I don't mind paying more so children have health insurance, so that no American has to sleep in the street and no American should have to go hungry.

Give this president a chance – he is trying to save this country but I am starting to think we need to save ourselves from ourselves. Its just plain sad and depressing. Not so sure we are the United States of America anymore.

February 18, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  24. cmoore

Non Supporters are also meeting and discussing how the American people are getting the shaft and many voters whom voted for him are listening,

February 18, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  25. Charlie in Maine

You are more than welcome MR. President.

February 18, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |