February 19th, 2009

Canada hearts Obama

(CNN) – President Obama arrived in this snowy capital city for his first foreign trip greeted by 17 Canadian mounties – and thousands of ordinary fans chanting a familiar campaign theme.

Chants of “Yes we can! Yes we can!” could be heard as thousands of Canadians lined the streets to greet Obama’s motorcade. One hand-made sign simply said, “After God, It’s Obama.”

The President seemed to bask in the adulation as he arrived at the Parliament building for a working lunch with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

After walking into Parliament, Obama coaxed Harper to come outside the building so the beaming President could wave to the adoring crowd – a sharp contrast from the hostile anti-war protests that used to greet former President Bush’s trips north.

One U.S. embassy official on the ground here passed along a bit of insight that may help explain the diplomatic love for Obama. The official confided that thousands of Canadians crossed the border into America last year to volunteer for the Democrat’s presidential campaign in border states.

But the lovefest will not last long. Obama will be staying on the ground here for just a few hours, not even long enough to have dinner and that was by design.

Two officials familiar with the planning for the trip tell CNN the President did not want a lavish dinner during his first foreign visit – not the right image while America is suffering through a recession.

Filed under: Canada • President Obama
  1. Obama for Prime Minister

I got chills this morning watching Barack be greeted by our Governor General Michaelle Jean at the tarmac in Ottawa. He's the son of an African immigrant and she's a Haitian born refugee. They are both the first black people to hold their jobs.

I know that it's important not to be blinded by the optics of race, when there are serious issues at stake re:Afghanistan and the economy, however, as a political scientist who is so used to watching older white men respresent the powers that be, I was in awe.

I am of Indian descent amd used to dark skin being devalued, so this was really moving for me. I can't imagine the significance this has for black children in North America and the families that are raising them.

February 19, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. Rula

This was probably a good and logical place to begin, but our neighbor immediately to our south really does require some attention asap.

February 19, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. pv, VT

I'm proud that Obama is our president, and proud of the way he represents the USA.

February 19, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Chris from Va. Beach

Obama is the world's president. He instills new hope and prosperity for all the world as well as democracy for all nations. He is willing to meet and negotiate with all heads of state which have never been thought of until his presidency. I applaud Brack Obama. Yes We Can..

February 19, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Phil

Respect. Our prez is cool & intelligent. Where r all the republican haters? Ur hated the same way ur president was.

February 19, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. walleye

Our neighbors up North are more savvy than we give them credit for. If the Republicans down here had half the brains of the Canadians, this country would be a lot better for it. Instead what we have is a bunch of redneck evangelical bigots who dont know how to respect (what time will prove to be) among the greatest presidents this country ever had.

February 19, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. Grandsons2

I love my President!

February 19, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. Obama 2.0

Cannada will become the 51st state!

February 19, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. BW

Thank goodness the Canadians love him! Oh, by the way, the Iranians love him...and the Iraquis...and the Venezuelans. The problem he has is that no one "fears" him. Like it or not you Liberal misfits, you better learn quickly that we need Obama to show strength. No one likes war...and I hate the fact that I have family fighting in Iraq right now. But if you think for a second that a soft and sensitive Barry Obama is going to work, prepare yourself for a terrorist to come to a city near you!

February 19, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. BW

February 19, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Orlando Omoruyi

As an America, it gives me a greate joy to see my President being received positively in Canada. To me, that makes me feel like am accepted all over the world.

February 19, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Dave B

The Adoring Crowd?

Are you talking about the spineless Presidential Press Corps?

This country is sliding down the chute at warp speed, this president is spending us into oblivion, the Attorney General is calling an entire race a bunch of cowards, and you come up with....

Canada Hearts Obama?

What a waste of bandwith.

February 19, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. You know the Republican party is toxic when ... Palin bails on NRCC & CPAC

Wow! What a nice change of pace to see that our nation's leader is genuinely welcomed instead of quietly distained.

February 19, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  14. dumbocrat alert

canada, you'll have to wait four years and than you can have him.

February 19, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  15. Angie in Pa

Dont Be Jealous Haters Because Other Countries Hated Bush! They had good Reason, Im proud that My country Is Gaining Respect again!

February 19, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. gt

LOOKS LIKE THE CROWD HAS CABIN FEVER...... GIVE ME A BREAK

February 19, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. SUZY

The Republicans won't like this one bit....ha ha ha!!

February 19, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Jeanette Scott

Thank God for him. And we wish him well. This country will turn around.

February 19, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. BW

america first

Please, "america first", move to Canada. I have never seen a more disgusting group of so-called Americans like yourself and your liberal friends...and the way you treated our previous President. You have no idea what respect and "support" even means. But now, we are all supposed to bow down in reverence every time Obama talks. What a joke!

February 19, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. How to create Peace in the Middle East: Tax Cuts!!!!!

Uh oh, time for the rabble rousers to yell "Socialism!!!!!!!"

Rabble......Rabble Rabble!

February 19, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. Maggie from Virginia

BW, why do you feel people need to live in fear? That's the GOP way... I will take respect over fear any day. Obama is respected around world.

February 19, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. lol

he has to do damage control, since he started his buy american, he offended them since 70 % of their exports come into the USA.

February 19, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Marc

BW, I DON'T hate to break it to you but..., GWBush tactis DID NOT worked.
    Iran is stronger than ever, Bin Laden is still out there, Timothy McLeary is a HERO and ROLE fMODEL or many whack jobs in the country (so yes there ARE domestic terrorists in the US), our political stance on the world got prejudiced after the non-existant WMDs and what happened in Abu Ghraib...
    So... there is people out there ouuta get us and our way of life, no matter what the president acts. But the very least, GWBush teached him how NOT to act.

February 19, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. Island girl

When you give love – you get love! The Americas (Trinis, Bajans, Jamdowners, and the rest of the warm islanders) await you with OPEN ARMS for the Americas Summit.

February 19, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  25. Veronica

BW

I dont want my president "feared" I want my President respected and liked around the world.

You make me proud Mr President!

February 19, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |