February 20th, 2009

Clinton’s cat 'Socks' dies

Bill Clinton enjoys pet cat Socks in this 1993 file photo.
Bill Clinton enjoys pet cat Socks in this 1993 file photo.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Socks, who reigned as first cat in former President Clinton’s White House, was put to sleep on Friday morning.

After suffering from mouth cancer, Socks was euthanized at Three Notch Veterinary Clinic in Hollywood, Maryland. Betty Currie, Clinton’s former personal secretary, had been taking care of the cat since her boss left the White House.

Socks was born in 1989 and would have turned 20 this spring.

Currie told the Southern Maryland News that Socks hadn’t eaten for two days and that she thought his condition was deteriorating. Socks was under the care of Dr. David Langford at the clinic.

"Socks brought much happiness to Chelsea and us over the years, and enjoyment to kids and cat lovers everywhere," the Clintons said in a statement. "We're grateful for those memories, and we especially want to thank our good friend, Betty Currie, for taking such loving care of Socks for so many years."

Socks had to share the stage as first pet in the White House after the Clintons adopted Buddy, a Labrador retriever.

An 11-year-old Chelsea Clinton adopted Socks in 1991 after she saw the stray kitten at her piano teacher’s home in Little Rock, Arkansas. The cat moved into the governor’s mansion with the family and later to the White House.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. flybyshoeing

CNN, are you serious with this? The Robert Gibbs story open for comments for about 38 minutes and this one for 1 1/2 hrs so far. Your website is pathetic sometimes.

February 20, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  2. Maggie

I SYMPATIZE WITH B CLINTON AS I TOO LOST MY BLACK TOM CAT THIS PAST YEA.R. HE WAS 21 YEARS OLD., WE MISS HIM SO MYCH. HE RODE CURLED AROUND MY NECK WHEN HE WAS NOT IN HIS HARNESS.

February 20, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. cheryl brooks from cali

I'm so sorry for them, it's sad to loose your pets after all their just like childred.... I'm pretty sure she brought them a lot of joy!!!!!!

February 20, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  4. Maggie

Sad About Socks,: TOO BAD YOU WERE NOT NEAR WHERE THOSE WOLVES LIVED UP IN ALASKA. MAYBE YOU COUL;D HAVE BUILT THEM A NICE CAVE AND LIVED WITH THEM.

February 20, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. Shamoan

Poor Socks,
    Had to see everything Bill created destroyed by a Bush not much smarter than yourself. Rest in peace. At least you weren't responsible for thousands of innocent deaths.

February 20, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  6. Maureen

Awww. Sympathies to Mrs. Currie and the Clintons. Have fun in Kitty Heaven, Socks. You were a handsome boy.

February 20, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  7. Max

Lost in Texas FOREVER:

Your post was the first negative, partian post written on this article. What does this say about you?

February 20, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

My sympathies for this very big loss. I have had to do this as well and I know firsthand the agony it is, but it is the kindest thing for any beloved pet to not suffer. My Mom's cat was about the same age when she went to the Rainbow Bridge (Yes, do google his wonderful site) and I had a Chihuahua who died of cancer as well, so I understand the pain

My best wishes at this difficult time.

February 20, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  9. stillsupportspresident

Someone's pet died. Any pet owner is sad about that. Can someone explain to me how Obama or Palin has anything to do with this? Some people are so stupid that it is actually profound.

February 20, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  10. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Mike – Houston February 20th, 2009 7:36 pm ET

They put Socks to sleep so he wouldn't have to suffer though the Obama administration!!!!!
    --------------------

How unkind and uncalled for is that statement. Very cruel
    What a thoughtless comment. I hope you can't sleep well!!!

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything

February 20, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. Sheri

IGNORANT

February 20, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  12. Chris in Va.

@ Mike – Houston......You really should check to see if the Repugs slipped some money into the stimulus for their supporters to buy a life.

Maybe you could be bi-partisan and share yours with Sad About Socks.

February 20, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  13. Anna, ATL

How disingenuine some of you are!

If your pet isn't like a member of family, you shouldn't have one.
    Which is fine, but don't insult the rest of us.

Cats and dogs (and other creatures) can bring companionship, amusement, a sense of security, loyalty, or even eyesight, and the loss of these friends is always very painful.

Socks was one special, lucky kitty.
    Oh, and it wouldnt be like me not to remind everyone to
    SPAY AND NEUTER your best friends, please!

February 20, 2009 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  14. Proud to be an American

that cat was really cute. he lived a good long life.

February 20, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  15. EC

Sad, just sad. I know they were very fond of Socks.

February 20, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  16. Beverly Williams

Over the rainbow bridge . . . RIP dear Socks. You'll never have to worry about hair balls again. Say hello to my "kids" that are there: Snicklefritz, Oberon, Bleys, Tichauka, Magi, Sam and Suki.

February 20, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. SD

Hey Mike I've looked at some of your other comments in other tickers and I've got a pretty good idea what kind of person you are. You're no fan of Obama, I get that. And you're also an ignorant, ego-centric, insensitive person who likes to talk before he thinks.

This news article had NOTHING to do with Obama.

Some of us relate to Socks the cat on a very personal level. (see my previous post) Let's keep the insensitivity back in Alaska, which is where you belong.

"FEB 7, 2009 – Palin pushes Obama on oil pipeline"

February 20, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. Teresa

Poor Socks. But he had a very long interesting life. R.I.P.

February 20, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  19. lyn

tells ya something, that the Clintons didn't even keep Socks !

February 20, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  20. Max in Arkansas

I know my condolences require careful moderation...why don't you post my comments, CNN?

February 20, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. Baron, NY

@Mike- Houston

If I lived in a state that gave the country the 7th worst president of all time, I wouldn't talk about the Obama Administration, especially when Barack has to clean up the mess that GW left behind.

February 20, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  22. mrsb

I so miss the Clinton years. We had a thriving economy, a surplus in the budget, world peace – it is hard to believe now how good those years were. I largely blame the right wing of the Republican party for the economic and political disasters that have followed. May Socks rest in peace.

February 20, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  23. Keith

Really??? Is this news? For those who use this to comment on anything other than the story, get a grip

February 20, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  24. Christine

"james February 20th, 2009 6:30 pm ET why is this newsworthy?"
    Of course it newsworthy.....this is CNN.....Clinton News Network

February 20, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. 2 BLIND MICE!!!

@Mike – Houston February 20th, 2009 7:36 pm ET
    @Ray Fisher February 20th, 2009 7:29 pm ET
    Poor Socks the most honorable Clinton.
    **** Are you guys Related ?.... or just 2 A$$ Holes