February 20th, 2009

FLOTUS thanks DOT for 'keeping America moving'

(CNN) – Michelle Obama continued her listening tour Friday, stopping at the Department of Transportation "simply to say thank you" to government employees and to push the president's $787 billion dollar stimulus plan. The DOT visit is the first lady's fifth and latest stop in her series of visits to government agencies.

The first lady, touting the stimulus bill as, “the largest investment in our nations' infrastructure since the interstate highways were created,” claimed the plan would “repair and re-build highways, expand access to public transportation which we all need, invest in high-speed railways which we all need, and improve our nations' airports.”

Mrs. Obama also told employees that not a day goes by that the work of the DOT "doesn't touch the lives of every single person in America."

"We rely on the airlines, the trains, the buses that are under your supervision to reach loved ones and to conduct business in distant places all over this country because of your work," the first lady said. "We can buy the products that make life comfortable and conduct the commerce that's the engine of our economy."

“Just know that we value you, America values you, and together we can get this country moving again," Obama said in closing. "We're going to need one another."

1. bsmith171

the stimulus is a kickback program for political supporters.

February 20, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. PC, Memphis

You go girl!!!

February 20, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. daniel cabrera

I am a simple man, and all I see is that WE, the people were cheated, our trust and money continues to be abused and the perpetrators still at large.
    I do not have any confidence on this CORRUPTED PRESENT ADMINISTRATION WHICH IS PERPETUATING THIS ASSAULT AND MOVING THIS GREAT NATION TO OBLIVION.

sleep well,
    Daniel Cabrera
    Merrillville, Indiana

February 20, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  4. Tina, NC

Before the haters start salivating and spewing garbage I want to say that I love the First Lady!

She's a beautiful and great role model!

February 20, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. Voter

All these visits by Michelle Obama, always in a new outfit, are for what? Does anyone hanker wistfully for a special on-the-scene thank-you from a person for whom they have done nothing?

Maybe. Michelle's been in DC for 15 minutes. Does she think everything career workers have done for years was in anticipation of her arrival? I guess so, she does seem to want to thank them, each and every one.

I think it's about the clothes, myself. Attention from the chattering class is just an extra perk.

February 20, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. arithmetic is liberal

daniel cabrera –

Seriously, man, the meds are not just for when you're feeling down. They don't work like that.

February 20, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. arithmetic is liberal

bsmith171:

proof?

February 20, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Mike - Houston

Yes, everytime I need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles I am so thankful for government involvement. I can't wait for the efficiency of the DMV to extend into building roads, health care, energy infrastructure, etc.

Want to see where Obama's change is headed: look at Hugo Chavez.

February 20, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. Snake eyes

DID A LITTLE GOODWILL GESTURE EVER HURT ANYONE??

NO, EXCEPT YOU HATERS ON THIS BOARD. YOU PEOPLE ARE BIGGER BABIES THAN MY SPOILED CATS.

February 20, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. No Incumbents 2010

OIL keeps America moving. DRILL BABY DRILL!

February 20, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. boered1

FLOTUS!?! Are you kidding?!?

you are 100% CORRECT bsmith171 the stimulus IS A KICKBACK FOR POLITICAL SUPPORTERS. I agree wtih you completely especially since the majority of President Obama's supporters were people like me who gave him <$200!!! Or in words you might be able to understand THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY!!!

As for your comments Daniel this present administration sis simply trying to correct the problems created by the administrations of the last 40 years.. in other words the republicans remember they have controlled the whitehouse 28 out of 40 years and Congress 24 out of 40 years so the REPUBLICANS are responsible for this mess (or I suppose you COULD claim that the democrats are more effective leaders since that is the only way that the party NOT in power the majority of the time could be responsible for the direction of the country your choice)

As for this article I LOVE Ms. Obama, she is intelligent, well mannered and down to earth a true leader!

February 20, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Get a life idiots- or some zanax

February 20, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Shari, NY

I have a humble suggestion. Can we upgrade Amtrak to first world status? Such improvement would create jobs while this venture is undertaken and in the end travel by rail would be faster and hopefully more efficient. Tourism would boom I believe, and air quality would be better thanks to this mode of transport.

February 20, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. SlimSista

@Daniel...then what did you think of Bush for the last 8 years that got this country where it is now? Was Bush a good president sprewing lies, corruption, and perpertrating an assault and moving our great nation to oblivion? PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK.....YOU ARE A HATER!!

February 20, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. Once you vote Black

The GOP is impotent. But Obama, well you know Once you vote Black you dont go back.

February 20, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Anthony R. Seta

I really like Michelle Obama. I also love the acronym "FLOTUS". That's great.

The FLOTUS has some truly admirable qualities. She's intelligent, kind and thoughtful. She truly cares for others. I think that Barack really scored a winner with this girl. These visits to the various agencies are important. Our government agencies are important to the well-being of our nation and the general quality of our lives. I can only smile knowing that we have such an awesome POTUS and FLOTUS.

February 20, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. annie - Palin 2012

what a joke

February 20, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. Matthew, Detroit

WHO CARES ABOUT MICHELLE?

Barack is talking NATIONALIZING BANKS.

California Congresswoman is talking Nationalizing OIL COMPANIES.

They want to start taxing the miles you drive in addition to gas.

This is socialism and FAR right wing tree huggers. The far right is bad. The far left is bad. SOCIALISM is on the way. We are screwed.

February 20, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  19. ConsiderThis, FL

FINALLY, someone saying something POSITIVE!

February 20, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. yuri

We, the citizens, sincerely hope and pray that any effort to explain the expanded expenditure on the stimulus plan be met with constructive curiosity rather than with combatively conservative columnists. Crisp and terse words will do wonders in these days of immense impatience of the critics.

February 20, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Who the he__ does she think she is? Good grief. She's the last person I would want to see!

February 20, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. Hmmm

Sad to say I live near Daniel Cabrera–Lake County, and Indiana went blue so he is just a sore loser.

I voted for change and that means I didn't vote for the dying breed of Republicans that were put forth.

OBAMA 2012!

February 20, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

Pathetic. How long will the world see this poor lady pick up after her husbands socks. I mean, isn't that the President's job? The Obama's are everywhere. I understand what it is like to be ambitious but this kind of like identity crisis. Of course Americans values progress but they don't need suckers to tell them how much they need Americans to know them. Sick.

February 20, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. Once you vote Black

Notice how much taller she is then anyone else on the stage. Do you see how long her fingers are? Note how her hips are as wide as the podium. Look at that forehead. To me thats a lady.

February 20, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Larry

arithmetic is liberal February 20th, 2009 5:18 pm ET

bsmith171:

proof?

How about 4 Billion for ACORN?

February 20, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |