February 20th, 2009

Kennedy’s wife makes fundraising appeal

Victoria Kennedy is out with a fundraising letter.
Victoria Kennedy is out with a fundraising letter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Edward Kennedy’s wife asked supporters Friday to contribute to his political action committee – a donation she claims would help the Massachusetts Democrat in his quest to establish health care for “all Americans.”

Universal health care is a signature issue for Kennedy, who is battling brain cancer and on Monday will turn 77.

“He believes that every American has the right to decent, quality, affordable health care, and fighting for that right is the cause of his life,” Victoria Reggie Kennedy writes in the e-mail sent by her husband’s Committee for a Democratic Majority.

She does not mention the senator’s struggle with cancer, but notes that “Messages of support from friends like you - combined with the spirit of hope and possibility in Washington - energize and inspire him.”

Victoria Reggie Kennedy also asks supporters to sign and write a note to the senator on an electronic birthday card.

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Sniffit

Careful GOPers...your comments that sound like you're off your meds only make the case for universal health care all the stronger. :-)

February 20, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. Sniffit

@ LIP

Do some research regarding the efficacy and efficiency of the health care systems that rank tops in Europe...then come back here and tell us you still believe what you're parroting. I'll give you your first fact to work with to get you started: the US does NOT have the best health care system in the world...not in percentage of the population served NOR in quality of treatment received on average.

February 20, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Janet

Wait !! Obama Admin. will spend 30 Billions for Health Care System.
    I hope so it'll work for Americans who doesn't have medical insurance
    soon. If it doen't work out soon, Obama would have a big big trouble.

February 20, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. Felonious Monk

How drunk was she when she married Teddy boy? How drunk was he?
    The fact that a Kennedy remains in office displays a level of corruption and a lack of level headed thinking on the part of those who voted for him.
    I say we should at least give some other family a chance at creating a corrupt political dynasty. After all, this is America, land of the free.

February 20, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Bob in Pa

If our health care is so bad... Move !
    I constantly see people from other countries coming here to have what we term routine procedures performed because they can't find the same care in their country.

February 20, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Bob in Pa

She forgot to add, that in donating to the PAC (which she runs or will control soon) you will vbe ensuring her a salary and lifestyle for the many many many years that she will outlive Ted by.

February 20, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Texas Teacher

We need universal health care! WAKE UP! Who does NOT want universal health care? THE AMA, THE PHARMEC. INDUSTRY, THE INSURANCE COMPANIES.... ON AND ON! Of course they do NOT want universal health care! THAT WOULD CUT THEIR MONESTORous PROFITS OUT!

Come on People! THINK for yourselves!

February 20, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

THE KENNEDY FAMILY HAVE GIVEN SO MUCH TO OUR COUNTRY AND IN RETURN ASK US FOR SO LITTLE. SOME OF US NEED TO LEARN TO GIVE A LITTLE RESPECT.

February 20, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. A CANUCK

I'm a Canadian senior.....even my prescrptions are paid for. If I need to be in hospital......all I pay for Is a telephone and TV service. I don't know what you Americans are afraid of !!!!!

February 20, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. Texas Teacher

Oh, Shut Up, LIP... this is all you can think of with all the polical topics that are available! You are either a Bimbo... or Cindy McCain!

February 20, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. J.P.

Look Sweetheart, you're pretty, you're a trophy wife of a rich old wrinkled dude, I get it. Stick to discussing the things you know: Bentleys, manicures and where you "summer." Other than those topics, please stuff a sock in it, for you clearly know nothing of American History or of our founding documents.

The United States Constitution guarantees no one the "right" to ANYTHING, other than life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

What are the next "presents" on Santa Socialists' lists? The "right" to cable TV and to sing the blues?

February 20, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. EddiP

Wow – screw Teddie. I want the choice I have now!!! My company failed to pay its health insurance – even though they promised – so now I cannot get coverage for a pre-existing condition at any price! So, should I go to Ken's town, Gene's town, or southerncousin's town with my child whom I cannot get healthcare coverage for. Gene – I can go to your town, go to the emergency room, and get my son cared for without paying up front. They will then turn my bill (actually sell it) to a collections agent. I can then either give up my home, car, etc or dodge them and have you pay.

Ya know, forget it. Anyone with sick children and no health insurance, lets just kill the kids, right? Woud that make you happy, Ken? Only rich people's kids can live? Of course, its my fault my employer didn't pay the health coverage they claimed to be paying; its my fault new health coverage is 3x my unemployment. So, when my child is dying, do you want him in your driveway Ken? Or on your front door Gene? Or your back yard southerncousin?

On the last day, Jesus will say to those on His right hand, "Come, enter the Kingdom. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was sick and you visited me." Then Jesus will turn to those on His left hand and say, "Depart from me because I was hungry and you did not feed me, I was thirsty and you did not give me to drink, I was sick and you did not visit me." These will ask Him, "When did we see You hungry, or thirsty or sick and did not come to Your help?" And Jesus will answer them, "Whatever you neglected to do unto one of these least of these, you neglected to do unto Me!",

Wow, good thing we live in a secular state where all that Bible garbage is ignored and forgotten.

February 20, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. Rafael VA

Here you go Ted i send you $100 dollars so you can give it to the guy next to me who got greedy and bought three houses to sell and now is being forclosed on all three houses because he was iresponssible! Anyone needs another reason why term limits should be mandatory???

February 20, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. No Incumbents 2010

Before we give anymore handouts. How many Americans that can afford heathcare do not have healthcare?
    We have become a nation of whiners. When did we stop being productive and start becoming entitlement whores?
    Don't you people get it? It's like a government addiction. They give you what you want and handout more and more in an effort to have you rely on them. They convince you, that you are nothing more than a victim and it's not your fault, you're a victim of poverty, of racism, of this that and the other thing. This generation and mine have lost what the great WWII generation had. Tenacity! They got up every morning and worked. If the going got tough, they got a second job. They did not ask for anything and they did not expect anything, they earned what they got! American Pride where has it gone.
    The constitution gives you the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Pursuit means you have to get out of bed and get out of the house and pursue. Liberty is what you have no problem giving up for hand outs from Uncle Sugar.

February 20, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  15. barack obama is still just BO

If you know anything about universal health care then you would not support it. It leads to a lessor quality of care, less advancement in treatment, harder to get appointments or see a doctor, etc.

All sounds good but I've lived in England and it is a joke.

February 20, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. No Incumbents 2010

@Gene
    They may be happy with their healthcare- ask them about TAXES!

February 20, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. boered1

i find it amazing that a plan that calls on big business to step up to the plate and ensure health care for their employees, a plan that requires small businesses, with help from the federal governemtn, to cover their employees for health coverage, a plan that saays if you are unemployed the governemtn will step up to help you with health coverage, a plan ythat demands that ALL CHILDREN are covered by health coverage, is somehow "socilist or socialized medicine" The government, Under President Obama's plan is NOt taking over health coverage, they are simply REQUIRING it to be provided by employers and requiring the health care system to stop looking at the bottom line and start looking at the patient again. I know a terrible thing for hospital managers tonot get wealthy on the sick but I think we can handle that as a country don't you?

But then that would mean that people would have to LOOK at the health care plan President Obama supported during the campaign instead of looking to rush and the liar hillary to read it for you and tell you what to think and that is not likely to happen is it?

idiots

February 20, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. yuri

There go the lion and the lioness. Universal health care may not be universally welcomed by one and all. Critics, who loathe socialized health provision, will balk and bellow at this proposal like there is no tomorrow. That's a path to be treaded with tender steps and attentive listening to the critics' point s of views.

February 20, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  19. Once you vote Black

Nothing is forever, except for LIP service about why we cannot do something. Universal Healthcare can save a lot of lives and if done well will work. But like it or not its where we are headed. Just wait until the GOP voters realize that to do anything else will leave their loved ones with out insurance.

February 20, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. jennifer in houston

Lip... you are obviously a sad person with a very sick mind. Before you start talking about other people or nations you should get your facts right. You are wrong, but then most people who think like you are wrong. There is less homelessnes and povery in Britain. Also you should go there you would get the psycho help you need.

February 20, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  21. Ally

You have to admire Ted Kennedy. He's made mistakes but nothing like most Republicans have. GOD BLESS YOU TED!

February 20, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. annie - Palin 2012

Why is he soliciting money – though the stinkulus package took us from the cradle to the grave.

February 20, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  23. Matthew, Detroit

CHRIS MATTHEW HARDBALL said that TEDDY never wanted to be president.

What a joke. Chris Matthews has NO objectivity. His little niece just thought she deserved a Senate seat because of her last name.

Ted Kennedy thought he deserved a senate seat.
    The guy wanted the power. He is a joke.

Chris Matthews is the NEW Bafoon of CABLE. Everyone should watch MSNBC to see how left wing they are. They make CNN look like Right wing zealots.

February 20, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  24. Jadie

Ted Kennedy is still working to better our healthcare system......where and what are the Republicans doing? (Nothing). Ted Kennedy is a big asset to our country. Thanks Ted.

February 20, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  25. Matthew, Detroit

CHRIS MATTHEWS said that Ted never wanted to be President.

He also said that he felt bad about Chapaquidick....

What a joke. The guy let his pregnant girlfriend drown in a lake and he had no problem with it. The guy drove home and went to bed.

The babble on MSNBC is amazing. They shovel it pretty deep. Great to hear the extreme left wing subjective side of politics pitch their arguments.

February 20, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |