February 21st, 2009

British PM to make 'working visit' to White House

WASHINGTON (CNN) - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown will be visiting President Barack Obama next month, the White House said on Saturday.

Brown - who will be visiting the White House on March 3 - will be discussing several issues with Obama, including Afghanistan, the global financial crisis, an April economic summit in London, and the 60th anniversary NATO summit.

"The United States and the United Kingdom share a special partnership, and the President looks forward to working closely with the Prime Minister to
address common global challenges," the White House said.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Butch Dillon

I would not propose anything to harm the relationship that the US and Britain share, but a rhetorical change needs to occur. These "special relationships" are fictitious and idiotically anachronistic, and need to be dispelled. The existence of the US does not depend upon any specialness between the two nations, nor does the existence of Great Britain. If indeed "special international relationships" are mandatory, then let's find nations, or groups of nations, that yield quantifiable benefits for the US.

February 21, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. ib

All you global warming freaks go to http://www.petitionproject.org and see what over 31,000 scientists think about it. Better still go to http://www.youtube.com/user/GlobalWarmngFraud and get the real reason for it. I'm sure I'll be crucified by the global warming people but even the founder of the weather channel says it is the biggest scam ever put over on the american people. I'm old enough to know what mother nature can do in the 60's these same people said we were going into an ice age.

February 21, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. Janey

I wonder if they will be discussing how BO unceremoniously dumped the bust of Winston Churchill and sent it back to England ? It was an honor to the US as he is a hero in England. BO obviously could not stand the thought of England honoring GWB like that. Great way to treat one of our most loyal allies.

February 21, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Obambi

Butch Dillon–you sound like a socialist idiot.

February 21, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. Meka

Prime Minister Gordon, understands that WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER . . .

MAYBE THE 30% OF AMERICAN'S THAT HAVE A DIFFERENT TAKE ON "CHANGE", NEEDS TO TAKE A CLUE FROM THE WORLD AT-LARGE!

February 21, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. cnnnewser

Cool!
    We welcome Great Britian with open arms.

February 21, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Proud American

Dear God I hope he's not looking for money. We're out.

February 21, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Martin Carter

I agree with you Butch, both the US and the UK could both survive without the "special relationship" – the US is powerful enough to be alone and the UK can simply integrate further into the EU. However, what the US needs to remember (I'm British btw) is that we are the only country that has really stood by the US when the rest of the world has turned its back on it. I hope Obama's administration and the US knows that.

February 21, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  9. J UAN CARLOS

OUT,,,,,,,,,,OF,,,,,,,,,,,,AFGHANISTAN,,,,,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,,,,,,IRAQ,,,,,,,,,,,,NOW

February 21, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. Rick Roberts

You know, I was just thinking, our President has been in office for 5 weeks this Tuesday. It seems like he has been there longer but the truth is, it's only 5 weeks.
    My point is this. I hear people, including the GOP, or should I say especially the GOP, bashing him. For God's sake, he has done more in 5 weeks then Bush did in 8 years. Of course Bush did get us into Iraq, which did a lot for us in a bad way. Let's give our President a break.
    I am an Independent and I can tell you this. I will NEVER vote for a Republican again unless they change BIG TIME. I know the GOP stands for the Grand Old Party but times have changed. If they want a chance to be heard the they need to become the GNP. That's right, the GRAND NEW PARTY.
    I am one person that believes in term limits for Congress. Two six year terms and you're out of there. Some of these folks have been there sooooo long, they forgot what the real world is all about. By the way, I'm 71 years old, so I'm not some kid telling the old guys to get out of the way. I think they really believe that the way they live is the way the rest of us live. Guess what?? We don't!!!
    Now with regard to Great Britain. I think Obama needs to meet everyone person to person. We have a great opportunity to let the world know that we have a new President and a new mind set. I believe our President will impress all our allies, as well as our adversaries and they will know that we are back on track as the LEADER of the world.

February 21, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Mississippi Mike

This is our most popular ally, if Obama doesn't send Brown home with a big smile on his face we are going to be in big trouble.

February 21, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. Jeff

I'm from the UK and can say that President Obama is extremely popular here. Both of our major political parties have copied his ideas and are trying to pass them off as their own. Wish we had someone of that calibre to run our country. Hope Brown keeps his eyes and ears open.

February 21, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Griff............... on The Truth...

So now your after the 'Crown Jewels", to pay your Bills: Mr Obama.

February 21, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Survivor

@Butch Dillon February 21st, 2009 3:12 pm ET DUH! We wouldn't be much without everyone else....of course everyone looks after "self" – I suppose that is what we like to call Human Nature – too bad we can't change it to Human NURTURE!

February 21, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. Jim

Gordon Brown destroyed the UK. It is possibly the only country worse off than the US. I just moved back to the US from the UK and wish a special distance with the UK prime minister. Bring back Tony!

February 21, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. Jean

I think the world has been so corrupted by the u.s republican party. I usually watch British parliament and I can tell you I feel like what is going on In America is what is going on in Britain....

February 21, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Willy Brown

He's coming to show #44 how to do the job he has no clue with.

February 21, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  18. Mike - Houston

Someone please remind Obama that we are not at war with the British, so there is no need for him to surrender to them.

February 21, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. arithmetic is liberal

Please tell me how a 220 ppm increase in CO2 and a 3 degree rise in average ocean temp doesn't constitue global warming.

And "global warming" doesn't just mean that it's getting hotter, it means weather patterns are getting more chaotic and violent. Case in point: earlier tornado and hurricane seasons, severe winter weather, severe droughts and heat waves...

Since Obama was elected, the fossil fuel industries have been cranking out the propaganda, because they're scared and know things will change.

So you're darn right. You ARE getting shouted down by a "global warming freak" as you so succinctly put it because you are armed with nothing but easily debunked LIES.

February 21, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |