February 22nd, 2009

Media critic blasts Chris Matthews' 'man crush' on Obama

CNN

Goldberg takes issue with media coverage of President Obama.

(CNN) - It has become one of MSNBC host Chris Matthew's most infamous lines of the 2008 presidential election:

"I felt this thrill going up my leg," Matthews said the night Obama resoundingly defeated rival Hillary Clinton in the Virginia and Maryland Democratic primaries.

And former CBS News Correspondent Bernard Goldberg, who has long alleged liberal bias in the media, highlighted that line as indicative of the media's "slobbering" press coverage of candidate Obama during his campaign for the White House.

"That's not commentary, that's a man-crush," Goldberg declared on CNN's Reliable Sources Sunday.

Goldberg, the author of the new book “A Slobbering Love Affair,” credits the media coverage of the 2008 presidential election for ultimately resulting in Barack Obama's victory.

He specifically faulted coverage of the prolonged Democratic primary campaign, during which two historic candidates contentiously squared off.

"I think in elite liberal circles, certainly inside the media, race trumps gender, and that's why they slobbered over Barack Obama, and took Hillary Clinton to the back room and beat her with a rubber hose,” Goldberg said.

Goldberg also faulted political journalists for not digging up controversial sermons of the president's longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, until Obama had already effectively captured his party's nomination.

"These tapes were available, you didn't have to be Woodward or Bernstein to dig them up," Goldberg said. "If those tapes had come out six months earlier, certainly a year earlier, I don't think Barack Obama would have been the nominee.

"I think Hillary Clinton would have been. And I think she would have been the president today," he continued. "And in that sense, she's the biggest loser in all of this."

1. cmoore

Maybe he is gay.

February 22, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Algernon

The point is not to be "hard" or "soft" on our leaders, but to be truthful as best we can, to look at facts and data and arrive at sensible conclusions.

February 22, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Linda

Absloutely correct. I cannot perfect upon these words.

February 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Only in America

Infamous? Why is it infamous CNN? Apparently Chris was not the only one in the world.

Bernard Goldberg is looking for attention and is probably broke.

Now, let's get to the news

February 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. Foster

I followed closely and was/is a Clinton supporter. Every day I cringed at the biased media coverage of Obama over Clinton. It was sickening. I have no ill will nor do I dislike Obama. I just preferred Clinton. I still voted Obama when the final ballot was drawn and have no issues with the process. I DO have issues with the media. What happened to objective journalism? Was that all make believe? Did it EVER exist?

February 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  6. republicans hate america

what would you call hannity, limbaugh, and o'rillies love fest for Bush then oh yeah fair and balanced or something like that.

February 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Rob

Just because Goldberg has something to say doesn't mean he is actually right. What a whiner.

February 22, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. Stop Your Whining

This is a story why?

February 22, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  9. Texas Teacher

well, all msnbc does is balance the media love affair with the Republicans... that is all we can hear.... McCain says... even his daughter says..... I am sick of it.... the GOP gets more press than Obama!

February 22, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. muffy

Anyone who would believe anything written by this Goldberg clown needs help. He is such a loser, oh he likes Hillary, if she won he would have liked Obama.

February 22, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. The Truth

Matthews sums up everything that is wrong with the media today. He is a complete fool.

February 22, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. BRY

WE ALL DESERVED WHAT THE MAJORITY VOTED FOR. CAUSE AND EFFECT!

February 22, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. LuLuMaxx123

I think the real question should be is IS THE MEDIA TRYING TO UNDERMIND OBAMA AND THE ECONOMIC RECOVERY OF THE COUNTRY?

Does the media want the economy to tank? Why not aid in the demise of the country for the ULTIMATE reality show.

February 22, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. grown up

good for chris! he has excellent taste in men.

February 22, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  15. Noelle, Atlanta, GA

Chris Matthews is a terrible example of how the media covers politics. He develops random crushes on all sorts of people (men and women) and allows those preferences to infiltrate his reporting. He's made himself into a political punchline.

In truth, media coverage of all the major candidates during the election cycle was incredibly uneven. They reacted harshly to all sorts of silly things and let the important things slide. Par for the course these days, it's sad to say.

February 22, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Why is Hillary the biggest loser, wouldn't that be the American people are the biggest loser's for not getting the best candidate into office?

February 22, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Jake

Seriously CNN?

Sounds like Mr. Goldberg needs a nice tall cup of ST_U.

February 22, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. nate

Goldberg your words of hate make me ashamed for our people. Stay out of my temple.

February 22, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. turtlehead

Chris cant see the forest for the trees.Hes so caught up in the partisanship he cant see whos really running the show.The money changers run both parties.

February 22, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. Brad

How dare the media sit there and tell me that I made my choice because of the media! You ingrates think that I, and the American people, are so stupid, that we just chose Obama because of the slanted media coverage?
    It has nothing to do with the War in Iraq, Afghanistan, Hurricane Katrina, and the countless scandals by the Republican Party.
    If you make excuses, you'll never fix your problem.

February 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  21. Ben

The media is not too soft on anyone. They spend their days and nights looking for the most depressing news in the world. The media is probably the worst invention that we the people voted as a right. How do we benefit from hearing every little piece of dirt on the president and his cabinet when there is no immediate fix to any problem? Leave the president alone and let him run our country without worrying if the media is gonna get their hands on his traffick ticket he got back in 1993.

February 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  22. mike hunt

get over it, already. sheesh!

February 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  23. Lori

Why doesn't this idiot blast Fox News for their bias for Palin, McCain, Bush, etc.? Give me a break!

As for Hillary: As the Republican Christians would say 'if God wanted Hillary to win, she would have won.' As a white woman, I would have still voted for Pres Obama if I had known about Rev Wright's sermons because that is NOT President Obama's views. PRES OBAMA IS HALF WHITE!!! I guess that means Obama hates his mother, grandmother, grandfather, himself, right? Get a life, Goldberg!

Hillary has plenty of time to run in 2016 when she will go up against the incompetent Sarah Palin (and the media didn't tell me that Palin is an idiot... We all figured that out ourselves).

February 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  24. BEC

He should know a man crush – he's in bed with Rush Limnuts and is just trying to sell his book. Same with Coulter.

I wouldn't buy one of their books for 25cents at Good Will!

February 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Annie

Remember when Sarah Palin gave her speech at the convention? Rich Lowry wrote a piece where he said the exact same thing, I felt a thrill, I sat up in my chair. Blah, blah, blah. Nobody called his motives into question.

February 22, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |