February 22nd, 2009

Media critic blasts Chris Matthews' 'man crush' on Obama

CNN

Goldberg takes issue with media coverage of President Obama.

(CNN) - It has become one of MSNBC host Chris Matthew's most infamous lines of the 2008 presidential election:

"I felt this thrill going up my leg," Matthews said the night Obama resoundingly defeated rival Hillary Clinton in the Virginia and Maryland Democratic primaries.

And former CBS News Correspondent Bernard Goldberg, who has long alleged liberal bias in the media, highlighted that line as indicative of the media's "slobbering" press coverage of candidate Obama during his campaign for the White House.

"That's not commentary, that's a man-crush," Goldberg declared on CNN's Reliable Sources Sunday.

Goldberg, the author of the new book “A Slobbering Love Affair,” credits the media coverage of the 2008 presidential election for ultimately resulting in Barack Obama's victory.

He specifically faulted coverage of the prolonged Democratic primary campaign, during which two historic candidates contentiously squared off.

"I think in elite liberal circles, certainly inside the media, race trumps gender, and that's why they slobbered over Barack Obama, and took Hillary Clinton to the back room and beat her with a rubber hose,” Goldberg said.

Goldberg also faulted political journalists for not digging up controversial sermons of the president's longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, until Obama had already effectively captured his party's nomination.

"These tapes were available, you didn't have to be Woodward or Bernstein to dig them up," Goldberg said. "If those tapes had come out six months earlier, certainly a year earlier, I don't think Barack Obama would have been the nominee.

"I think Hillary Clinton would have been. And I think she would have been the president today," he continued. "And in that sense, she's the biggest loser in all of this."

1. dan

Goldberg is a whiny sour grapes baby. Par for the course with his crowd....

February 22, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. savy

When are these right-wing talking heads going to realize that the vast majority of Americans are on to them and their spin lies?

Obama won because WE, THE PEOPLE, made that decision.

February 22, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. thumper

Yes it was very disgusting to watch the coverage of so called unbiased media. Credibility by the media has been lost forever, there is nothing believable coming out of their mouth.

February 22, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Truth Bomb Thrower

If it wasn't for the RIDICULOUS bias in the media, a lightweight marxist like Obama would have never stood a chance of getting elected. But the media is only half to blame. The rest of the blame must go to the unthinking, unquestioning, gullible American public. (52% of it anyway.) It is the public that allows the media to get away with NOT doing its job. It simply consumes whatever is set before it......like a mindless little child in a school cafeteria.

February 22, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. Mario in Texas

If race trumps gender, then Jesse Jackson and Alan Keyes would have been president long ago.

February 22, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. Chris K

The Republican Party offered no candidates worth slobbering over. Who's fault is that?

February 22, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  7. B

The election and primaries have been over for months. The GOP, sadly..painfully, still don't get it. And now, while most are working to fix the myriad national woes, the GOP still chooses to ignore the the wound, and look for the knife that caused it. If there's anything that the media are guilty of, it's giving to much credence to the rants and whinings of the adolescent GOP.

February 22, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Tracy

I really love the conservatives who are more interested in The president failing than the U.S. succeeding.Don't we have some important issues that we need to take care of? Or is this whole "keeping the country afloat" thing just getting in the way of your lib bashing?

February 22, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. Staunch Democrat

THE FACT THAT GOLBERG WOULD HAVE TO WRITE A BOOK ABOUT PRESIDENT OBAMA, INSTEAD OF HOW MCCAIN COULD HAVE WON, SHOWS:

1. GOLDBERG TRYING TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF PRESIDENT OBAMA

2. GOLDBERG JEALOUS OF OBAMA FOR BEATING THE CLINTON MACHINE, REPUBLICAN MACHINE AND A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF THE WORLD'S ADULATIONS AND NOT BUSH!

3. GOLDBERG JEALOUS OF THE CROWDS PRESIDENT OBAMA DRAWS NEAR AND FAR

JEALOUS-JEALOUS-JEALOUS-JEALOUS-JEALOUS-JEALOUS

February 22, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. heartlight3

Gary – How can you criticize Obama for going to watch his daughter in a basketball game when the country is in trouble? Didn't George Bush spend a third of his presidency on vacation while the country disintegrated?

February 22, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. Mark

This is one of those issues that is so obvious it doesn't really bare commenting on. "Perceived bias." You have to be joking.

And for everyone holding up Fox as an example of conservative bias–wake up and smell the coffee. Murdoch founded the network due to the fact that, as a businessman, he saw such a glaringly under-served demographic: With nearly every other network and news outlet having a liberal bias, there was a big gaping hole for one with a conservative lean.

Fox was formed as a REACTION to overwhelming liberal bias in the news media. One reason it's ratings are so high, if not the primary reason, is because it stands alone as the network with a conservative slant, whereas liberals have the other dozen or so channels to choose from.

February 22, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Cynthia in Michigan

Anyone who thinks any cable "news" program is unbiased is out of their mind. I watch MSNBC because I loooove Keith Olberman's and Rachel Maddow's totally subjective programming. It's total entertainment. If I want objective news, I watch BBC or PBS.

February 22, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. windu

The right will accept any reason for the American people's selection of Obama, no matter how implausible the proposed reason, as long as the reason has nothing to do with the rejection of the Republican party and right wing ideology.

February 22, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. Loren

I will put my faith in no man. Right and wrong decisions are not right or wrong based on a poll of how many people think they are right or wrong or how many like you or have a crush on the person that they perceive you to be. Our decisions will be weighed and judged by our maker, for he see far more than the minute segment of time that we do.

February 22, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. had enough

of course the media was in love with Obama look what the allturnitive
    was....and where we had been for the last 8 years .
    it was like breathing new life into cadaver ..and they loved it

February 22, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. Chris K

The Republican Party offered no candidates worth slobbering over. Whose fault is that?

February 22, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Obama

Yeah, Obama won more electoral votes. All of his supporters are the ones receiving handouts. Hopefully, they'll all starve when there are no handouts to give.

February 22, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. DP

Based on all of the liberal comments, I must be one heck of a liar because I dare to voice my opinion and concerns. I do not like the direction our country is going. The party of the ACLU and the Unions is trampling over everything they preach such as the Fairness Doctrine and eCheck. If we cannot have free speach to voice our opposition to reckless spending, then we might as well tear up the Bill of Rights. I did not support bailing out the banks under Bush. I do not agree with this stimulus plan. I am sure going to make my voice heard when it comes to bailing out irresponsible home owners. Sorry you cannot pay your mortgage, but I should not have money taken out of my paycheck to help you when I can barely pay my own bills. We have the greatest country in the world built by past generations based on hard work and it is being destroyed by this entitlement mentallity. If you are too proud to work at McDonalds then so be it. Have fun living on the street.

February 22, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Matt, Ohio

To JimDoyle: Where are you getting your numbers from buddy? More liberals in the US now? Sorry, but you can't just make stuff up and act like you're so high and mighty. I just spent an hour trying to verify that and I hate to tell ya, you're sadly mistaken.

Do some research before you post on here, you just make yourself look stupid.

February 22, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. kate

The liberal media completely turned me off as a Democrat
    especially those idiots that call themselves journalists at MSNBC.
    I was disgusted with the way Hillary Clinton was treated.
    I voted for McCain /Palin and was proven right

The Obama administration, with the signing of this stimulus, has put an enormous tax burden on my children and my grandchildren.
    I will vote, as many others will in 2010, just like in 1994, we will throw the Demonrats out.

February 22, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. LMC in Seattle

As if FOX News wasn't biased! Personally, I think most media have tried to stay pretty objective, with the exception of FOX news.

February 22, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  22. JAMES

this goldberg is retarted

February 22, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

This is ilk that got Obama into the White House. Fanfare, groupie mentality, sexualization of the candidate. All the while, venom spewing out of Matthews mouth, like some sort of alien slime, against Hillary Clinton. And this guy is given a microphone and airways. Women need to smartin up – the one who owns the golden goose, gets to play – women need to start owning these media conglomerates and sweep these temples to male dominance clean.

February 22, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  24. Rangerdan

Lee, get over it. We have had to sit and listen to FAUX News slobber all over GW for eight years now when there is a Dem in suddenly the Media are biased toward the Dems. I will say that MSNBC had become the Dems, FAUX news. FAUX news has been as much if even more biased toward Conservatives for over eight years. Can you even name one Liberal FAUX News show, Nope ya can't cause they don't have one. Can you name one serious Liberal pundit put on FAUX News, oh and Hannity's whipping boy Combs doesn't count because nobody knew who he was before FAUX News hired him and those that don't watch FAUX News still don't know who he is. Even MSNBC gives two hours to former Republican Representative Joe Scarborough. CNN has conservatives Like Lou Dobbs and General David Grange that either have their own shows or are regular contributors to other shows. FAUX News carries nothing but Conservative biased news and for any Republican to scream media bias is an absolute joke. The problem is as with the GW administration, conservatives cannot stand to be critiqued and if someone does critique them they are un-American. Well I am a three time Iraq veteran and I am more American than anyone on FAUX News and I am here to critique them. Get over it!!!!!!!!

February 22, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. Greg, San Francisco, CA

I wonder if Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Rick Santelli, Joe Scarborough, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Brent Bozell, Michelle Malkin, etc. and the rest of the Liberal media agree with Bernie?

February 22, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |