February 22nd, 2009

Media critic blasts Chris Matthews' 'man crush' on Obama

CNN

Goldberg takes issue with media coverage of President Obama.

(CNN) - It has become one of MSNBC host Chris Matthew's most infamous lines of the 2008 presidential election:

"I felt this thrill going up my leg," Matthews said the night Obama resoundingly defeated rival Hillary Clinton in the Virginia and Maryland Democratic primaries.

And former CBS News Correspondent Bernard Goldberg, who has long alleged liberal bias in the media, highlighted that line as indicative of the media's "slobbering" press coverage of candidate Obama during his campaign for the White House.

"That's not commentary, that's a man-crush," Goldberg declared on CNN's Reliable Sources Sunday.

He specifically faulted coverage of the prolonged Democratic primary campaign, during which two historic candidates contentiously squared off.

"I think in elite liberal circles, certainly inside the media, race trumps gender, and that's why they slobbered over Barack Obama, and took Hillary Clinton to the back room and beat her with a rubber hose,” Goldberg said.

Goldberg also faulted political journalists for not digging up controversial sermons of the president's longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, until Obama had already effectively captured his party's nomination.

"These tapes were available, you didn't have to be Woodward or Bernstein to dig them up," Goldberg said. "If those tapes had come out six months earlier, certainly a year earlier, I don't think Barack Obama would have been the nominee.

"I think Hillary Clinton would have been. And I think she would have been the president today," he continued. "And in that sense, she's the biggest loser in all of this."

1. Matt in Iowa

What about John McCains pick of Sara Palin as a running mate? Or Phil Graham, the man responsible for most of the de-regulation in Washington and the former head of his campaign calling Americans "a nation of whiners?" It sounds to me like someone isn't including all of the factors here and leaning on the old bs I have been hearing for weeks, that the media has a love affair with Obama b/c he is black.

Far from it I think, the reason that people are drawn to him is because he is charismatic and well spoken, something we have gone w/o for 8 years. We're going to have to change Clinton's nickname to just Willy b/c he isn't nearly as slick as Obama.

February 22, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. SueWKline

I agree that Hillary should have been President! However, now we have Obama, either by hook or by crook, so let's get on with it. We need to get some problems solved. As for Chris Matthews, he really is a sleaze. Formerly he was a pretty good announcer and/or host ,whatever his job title is. I watched his show faithfully. Now I can't stand him, nor Olberman either for that matter. I don't watch MS anymore. The whole crew of hosts dissed Hillary every chance they got.I hop they all have happy day dreams of strolling hand and hand down the lane with Mr. Obama

February 22, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. Gary

Bernie, You are great. I like your way where you tell the facts and the truth. Barack Obama is basically not qualified to be our President. It is the biggest disaster of the 21st Century. Now he is in the White House and he does not know what to do. Imagine going for basketball games while the country it in trouble right now. These liberals will sell themselves for anything including Chris Mathews who is a moron.

February 22, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Quick question: what is so terrible about the quote from Matthews? It is rather commonplace for a commentator to state that a moment is "powerful" or "sobering" or "determined." Is that crossing a line that none of you have bothered to define? Instead of relying on "of course the media is biased" arguments without taking the time to put any sort of argument together, why don't you elevate the level of discourse and point out why the comment's from Matthews are so negative. Was it his use of "thrill" or "leg" that somehow tips the scales? Please compare and contrast your answer with past media coverage of Bush's moments addressing 9/11.

February 22, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Denial......denial......denial. Poor Republican's. They STILL don't get it.

February 22, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  6. michael petro

We should all behind our preaident "isn't he"? Here is the problem the right cannot accept him so they will try to disrupt everything he does. I do believe they know they are hurting the people by doing this bit they do not care about the people at least people who do not share their ideology. I hope people recognize this and understand why the right is wrong for America. I hope the GOP fades into oblivion.

February 22, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. The Truth

HA! What flavor was that Kool-Aid

"Obama has been treated WORSE by the mainstream media than any other candidate/president in recent history."

February 22, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  8. Franky

"More than $800 billion spent on operations in Iraq, Afghanistan from 2001 to 2008"

Wow, you gotta be kidding me, 800 billion in 7 years??? 7 only?? And is not even a WAR?? That is just crazy...

You gotta be joking me, that just blew me away...

February 22, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  9. Barry Hues

I love the way the Republicans always blame the "liberal media" for their own failings. Maybe some day they will wake up and realize they have no one to blame but themselves for their poor standing with the public.

February 22, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  10. Deborah

I couldn't care less what Bernard Goldberg has to say on any topic! What a total waste of space to even print this!

February 22, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  11. Obama will go down in history

As the president who ran our country into ruin. The government can do nothing right. They will take private industry and kill it. They already are working to kill incentive. The people who work, pay taxes and pay their mortgage are getting screwed. The people who dont work or pay any taxes to support the country or don't pay their mortgage are getting handouts. It makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 22, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. virginia for obama

@ Jim Doyle. You're exactly right! YOU GO BOY!

Love your comment.

February 22, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. Rumsfeld

I believe that so many people are just overjoyed to be leaving the past eight years behind that a little grace is deserved. You can hardly deny people expressing some over-the-top positive feelings about the POTUS.

Just disgruntled repugs at work. Amazing how silent they have been up to now. Where were they in the past year when the economy was falling apart? They were suspiciously silent for fear of tainting their own politics and their own futures. Thanks boys and girls!

Now to move forward.

February 22, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. chris

well not my leg, but I did fell it in my spine. I had to pinch myself because I could not believe it. So if he felt it somewhere else good for him. If the other guy felt nothing; his loss

February 22, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. Bill_ MA

It's not our fault no one likes republicans. Goldberg, and his book of the month club are in full swing again. I do not think you are much of an author turning out a new "poor me" book every month.

February 22, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. db

We are tired of the wingnut crybabies and their ridiculous sour-grape excuses for Obama's landslide election victory in 2008. To say "it's the fault of 'liberal media bias'" is not only a complete denial of reality but insulting to the commanding majority of Americans who voted for Obama because they saw him as a far better choice than John McSame and the loony Palin bunch. Get over it, already. Obama won and you lost in an election that was as fair and square as any we have ever had.

February 22, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. Ryan

It's true, maybe if some of you weren't just as pathetic, you'd see this is the truth.

February 22, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  18. VON BISMARK,Vienna.

He wants to sell a book.Period!

February 22, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  19. Sherry

If liberals are so bad, why do they keep calling us 'elite'? In sports, for example, it's good when you're called an 'elite' team. Gosh, I'm confused.

February 22, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. Tom in Atlanta

As compared to the leg humping love fest that this guy had with Bush?

February 22, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. joe in minnesota

Its all relevant – if BO does good he's the savior that everybody wants him to be – if not his press coverage will look like GW's in his waning years – ears an' all....................

February 22, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. matt

Hey Goldberg, shush up.

February 22, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. petro

Some of you people are just pathetic and sadly funny. In one of the posts above a guy says "this is the worst thing to happen to america" hello does the name bush ring a bell, how about his rubber stamp sheep in our government? Obama has been in offi ce how many days now? but according to you he is the worst? I think you just showcased your intelligence.

February 22, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  24. sick n tired of CNN moderators

When you say "man crush" are you also referring to the GOP's overwhelming view of of Rush Limbaugh as well? Whose nothing more than an egotistical, narrow minded, pill popping, know it all, windbag Jabba the hut of the radical right wing establishment!

February 22, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. Forky Tongue!!!

Goldberg, the author of the new book “A Slobbering Love Affair,” credits the media coverage of the 2008 presidential election for ultimately resulting in Barack Obama's victory.I am sure the media Coverage does not include Fox News......Namely Sean Hannity who bash President Obama every day for 2 years non stop and continue to do sooooo.......and don't leave The big mouth Rush Limbaugh
    ***Man-Crush...so a man think it so is He ......Give it up tell us the name Man that you have a man crush on ......Closet Freak !!!!

February 22, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |