February 22nd, 2009

Media critic blasts Chris Matthews' 'man crush' on Obama

CNN

Goldberg takes issue with media coverage of President Obama.

(CNN) - It has become one of MSNBC host Chris Matthew's most infamous lines of the 2008 presidential election:

"I felt this thrill going up my leg," Matthews said the night Obama resoundingly defeated rival Hillary Clinton in the Virginia and Maryland Democratic primaries.

And former CBS News Correspondent Bernard Goldberg, who has long alleged liberal bias in the media, highlighted that line as indicative of the media's "slobbering" press coverage of candidate Obama during his campaign for the White House.

"That's not commentary, that's a man-crush," Goldberg declared on CNN's Reliable Sources Sunday.

Goldberg, the author of the new book “A Slobbering Love Affair,” credits the media coverage of the 2008 presidential election for ultimately resulting in Barack Obama's victory.

He specifically faulted coverage of the prolonged Democratic primary campaign, during which two historic candidates contentiously squared off.

"I think in elite liberal circles, certainly inside the media, race trumps gender, and that's why they slobbered over Barack Obama, and took Hillary Clinton to the back room and beat her with a rubber hose,” Goldberg said.

Goldberg also faulted political journalists for not digging up controversial sermons of the president's longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, until Obama had already effectively captured his party's nomination.

"These tapes were available, you didn't have to be Woodward or Bernstein to dig them up," Goldberg said. "If those tapes had come out six months earlier, certainly a year earlier, I don't think Barack Obama would have been the nominee.

"I think Hillary Clinton would have been. And I think she would have been the president today," he continued. "And in that sense, she's the biggest loser in all of this."

1. Candy Wilson

I do not like to be controversial but the thing I see and hear the most from Fox News is how overwhelmingly the other Networks were for Obama.. there is something to the "Making of a President" as I did a thesis on such subject in college in the 70's. But there was and is still not a day that goes by that Obama is Not degraded by Hannity and many others. Then Fox goes and does a special on Palin. This Media Love and or Hate works both ways.. But I don't see the other networks complaining about this ; yet fox does and then turns around and does the same thing in reverse.. Like a double standard... They have the right to run their format anyway they feel but I seriously would leave the bias comments alone.. It makes you guys look bad.. Thankyou for allowing me this comment.

February 22, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. Bev

Obama did not win by a "landslide". You've been conditioned to say that because the liberal media says it. He won a little over half the vote. Hardly a landslide. Also...how many of you believe Sarah Palin said "You can see Russia from my house?" Guess what? She never said that....Tina Fey said it. The liberal media won this election and that's scary.

February 22, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  3. Tony

He is 100000 % right by the way NBC got bailout from GE capital (banks bailout) and their anchor NOT slash their salary like brian william and others libs elite

February 22, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Paul Gavras

I don't know too much about Bernard Goldberg, whether he was good at his job or not, but I think his comment about Chris Matthews is dead on. Chris's comment about Obama was plain and simple school boy gushing. It was one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard any supposed journalist make on the air. But that's Chris. He's a die hard liberal and he works for a network that is so openly Obama- loving it's nauseating. How anyone in this day and age can be so enamored by a politician, whether democrat or republican, is beyond me. I think Chris needs some serious therapy.

As Goldberg implies, if the media had bothered to look at Obama objectively, they might have seen something different. The only reason Obama won is because people were mad at the Republicans. There is nothing so great about Obama. He's just another slick politician who offers nothing new, just the same old rhetoric. He just bamboozled people into thinking he's some kind of messiah. His stimulus plan is nothing different than has already been done in response to past recessions, and all that happened was that the economy got worse.

Truth is, half the the things that George Bush gets blamed for weren't his fault. It's just convenient to blame him. It's just sloppy, lazy thinking when people aren't happy. The democrats had more to do with this economic mess than anyone, but everyone igonores it because they're still stuck in the mud with the Bush- hating. And by the way, this is coming from neither a republican nor a democrat. I'm an independent. I just call it as I see it.

And why all the Palin bashing ? Get a life. The election is over. Why is she a bimbo? Just because you don't agree with her political views?
    Or maybe she makes a mistake in a speech? What about Biden? Does anyone call him on the table for the parade of stupid comments that come pouring out of his mouth regularly? Give me a break.

February 22, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Bob

So...., "what the world needs now is love"....(amoug other things). As if a man crush is bad thing, or to like your representative. The republicans still just bitter they lost. Blaming it the media/messger is anold republican tune....I like the tone/tune I began with (see above and hum along)...grey skies are going clear up...

February 22, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. johnrj08

I agree that the press liked Obama and some reporters definitely did some slobbering. But there was a reason for this. The alternative was a grouchy old man and a village idiot from Alaska. Maybe if Obama's competition had been more appealing, the tone in the press would have been quite different. But it wasn't.

February 22, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. dorothy Miller

Boy the right wing crazies are really panicing and making fools of themselves.

February 22, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  8. kb

How true!! The media, the DNC and the Kennedys crammed Obama down our throats. Hillary worked hard (twice as hard since she is a female) and deserved to be president. She is smart and extremely capable; she knows how to get things done. But if you didn't vote for Obama then you are "racist!" What crap. I'll get offended about the NY "monkey cartoon" when all of you are offended about the "Hillary nutcracker!" I am now registered as an Independent due to this recent election.

February 22, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Brian

"Obama did not win by a 'landslide' "

Take a look at the election results again. Obama won 365 to 173 electoral votes. Pretty overwhelming victory. And before you start spouting off about popular election numbers, remember one simple fact. Voting for the president isn't a democratic election (we don't live in a democracy in the USA in case you have forgotten). The popular vote doesn't mean anything. If it did, Bush would have lost to Gore. Even if you do look at the popular vote Obama won by 7% which in election numbers is huge. Maybe you should stop listening to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh do some research and make up your own mind for a change.

February 22, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. Mark

...How many of you believe Sarah Palin said "You can see Russia from my house?" Guess what? She never said that….Tina Fey said it. The liberal media won this election and that's scary.

Guess what else? George W. Bush never uttered the word "strategery" until after Will Farrell came up with it on SNL and even then he only said a couple times in a joking manner. I challenge each and every one of you to ask your circle of friends if they know this. I would bet the house that at least 80-90% don't know this. Then ask yourself who or what entity is responsible for this perception. Perception is everything and in the USA perception is in large part created by what we read, see and hear. A simple fact of life.

February 22, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. robinhood

How amazing that these commentators actually think the the guy that said Matthews had a man crush is the problem. Mathews should never have said that that way..but he did and that showed his personal emotions....So now we have a Prez Obamba and a black AG that is busy telling us we are cowards.....what.. did I spend too much time in the back of the trolley...or is a black guy president of this great country even though his wife is not yet a proud American..

February 22, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. carson33

Bernie Goldberg is a colossal buffoon/paid stooge for the Republican Party. Tell me something Bernie. Can you ever wash away the shame and sadness of being beaten by a black liberal? Do you weep softly at night when you're all alone on your island of red, surrounded by an ocean of blue? Will Fox News ever be able to pay you enough for everyone else to pretend that you're a real journalist? Defeat is an ugly fragrance Bernie. Bathing in an ocean of anger and ideological rage won't wash the pain away.

February 22, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Nathan Wind

Let's not forget that Chris Matthews also had similar man-crushes on George W. Bush (back when Bush was popular) and on John McCain. I don't think it's a liberal bias thing, I think Matthews is still sorting out his sexuality.

February 22, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. Buzz Daly

Quit whining Goldberg. You always have FOX. What a fool. Obama won because he's fresh, smart, and has new ideas. The GOP lost because they are none of the above. Very simple Goldberg. Of course, writing a book about that wouldn't sell many copies, would it,? Get a job.

February 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  15. MarkC

*** George W. Bush never uttered the word "strategery" until after Will Farrell came up with it on SNL and even then he only said a couple times in a joking manner. I challenge each and every one of you to ask your circle of friends if they know this. I would bet the house that at least 80-90% don't know this. Then ask yourself who or what entity is responsible for this perception. ***

You're an idiot. What is responsible for this perception is that Bush butchers the language spectacularly on a regular basis. I have no idea if he said "strategery" or not, but he's certainly said a hundred things even more moronic. Ask the "grecians."

February 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  16. sniksder

Bunch of dumb liberal morons here.

Your lord and savior won and you can't stop complaining.

Can't wait until most of you lose your jobs, and have to pay higher taxes, and we get higher inflation rates, and this economy really tanks.

You get what you voted for a person who has no clue on how to lead, because he never has done that, a person who does not know how to govern, because he never has and to boot a terrorist sympathizer.

this country is so screwed with him and his cronies in charge..

February 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  17. Cindy

Lots of people got a crush on Obama... lot of men too. Goldberg is jealous.

Think back to the early primaries. Obama had been just one of half a dozen men vying for the position Hillary Clinton seemed to have all but sewn up. He came out of no where. The whole country had a thrill up their leg when they saw him emerge out of the crowd as the front runner.

I think Sean Hannity had a huge gigantic man crush on Sarah Palin. He probably had a thrill up his leg too. Was that any better, simply because Palin was female?

February 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. Mark

Another point I'd like to express on why the media is in love with Obama. White Guilt...it is so prevalant in this country it is sickening. I am a white male, a child of 1960's immigrants. Now what on earth do I or anyone else who is white and is the ancestors of immigrants from 1865 and on have anything to feel guilty about when it comes to black people. Ask yourself how many white people fit into this category. I would say well over 150 Million in the USA fit this model. Guilt over slavery is and has been constantly driven into our pysche. Just because you are a white and living in the US doesn't mean you should feel guilty over slavery. Wake Up people !!

February 22, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  19. lkinopfl

How hypocritical of him. He bashes the media and says the media is responsible for the win of Obama.. as if we're all just mindless idiots and don't really know who we voted for, the media just "brainwashed" us. Get real you loser! You're using the media right now to sell your stupid book. Get a life and get a real purpose besides spewing your outright lies and bigotry to the so-called media and treating us all like we're a bunch of idiots. You Mr. Goldberg should get the Idiot of the Year award, but gosh it would be a toss-up between you and Rush! LOL!

February 22, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. dave

So he's Slobbering over the right I've seen him on Fox talking the right wing talking points. I guest he don't remember the 24 hour looping of Rev. Wright or how many time his Patriotism was question. If the media love him I would hate to see them hate. And before you bring Palin into this all those question she was ask was fair asking some one that one day may run this country what do she read or their stands on Foreign policies is not a gotcha question.

February 22, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. Diane Dagenais Turbide

I much prefer a feeling going up my leg than the last headache and the nausea felt from time to time like the one felt from the republican convention...but that is all past right since this was all theatre...!

I do not think Hillary Clinton is the loser...she is doing pretty well!

February 22, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  22. JMB

I'm sure Hillary Clinton takes great comfort in being defended by the same people who, two years ago, were calling her "Hillabeast," giggling at her looks, and alleging she was a closet lesbian.

Hypocrisy, thy name is GOP.

February 22, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. Pat F

Paul Gavras: Perfect comment in every respect.

I don't understand anyone falling in love with politicians either! It's kind of sad, really, that some people don't have people in their own real lives to love, so they have to develop hero worship of strangers.

The Palin bashing is just sexism. There is nothing "bimbo" about her. She's not the brightest bulb on the tree, but neither is Biden. The list of his bone-headed comments and actions is a lot longer than hers.

February 22, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  24. Larry

Tards, Libs, Lefties, etc., Step away from the keyboard and get a JOB! Losers!

February 22, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  25. Lee

Finally someone else that thinks that Mathews was out of line with that comment. I heard him say it, I saw his face and it was shameful.
    I still believe that the media was unfair with coverage of the Dems and were shifted far to Obama's side. They did all they could to get him in office. It made me wonder why. Is he someone they can now get to do their bidding?

February 22, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |