February 22nd, 2009

Obama in perpetual campaign, Barbour says

Obama has traveled to key swing states in the last few weeks.
Obama has traveled to key swing states in the last few weeks.

(CNN) – It's no coincidence President Obama has traveled to key swing states to push his massive stimulus measure, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said Sunday.

Barbour, a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, said Obama's recent travel is an indication that the new president is already running for reelection.

"He's going to those places for a reason," Barbour said on CNN's State of the Union. "I mean David Axelrod, who's his campaign consultant/manager/guru really is one of the brightest, most capable people in American politics. And so this is what we've become accustomed to, the perpetual campaign."

In the last few weeks, the president has visited Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Virginia, and Colorado - all states that voted Republican in the 2004 presidential election but flipped to the Democrat's side in 2008. Obama has also visited Arizona - the home state of his former rival, Sen. John McCain, and a state he'd like to turn blue in 2012.

The White House has said the president specifically visited those states because they are among the hardest hit by the nations sputtering economy and home foreclosure crisis.

1. not a freakin repukelicant

I just wanna take a shoe and break that STUPID tv he's always standing in front of. Why does he get his fingerprints all over the pretty screen?

February 22, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  2. Greg, San Francisco, CA

The former head of the RNC doesn't like Obama? Really? The GOP has nothing to offer but criticism while not taking any responsibility for the debacle they have gotten this country into. You're not fooling anyone Governor, except maybe Pat who is obviously on (or rather off) her psych meds.

February 22, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Phoenix

It's a smart move by President Obama to get out of Washington DC. President Obama is bring his message directly the people.

February 22, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. R in Maine

Haley thinks that once the campaign is over and he got elected, then he does not have to care what people think, and he can go ahead and screw all the people all the time.

February 22, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Democrat who is against Media Bias

Of Course he is campaigning...tell us something we donn't know!

President OBAMA.....you won the election, please STOP WASTING OUR MONEY AND CAMPAIGNING ON THE TAXPAYERS DOLLAR!

We are in the middle of an economic crisis and you are wasting millions of dollars campaigning at the taxpayers expense....isn't that illegal?

February 22, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. change in America

VOTE REPUBLICANS OUT THE OFFICE 2010

February 22, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  7. nita

Govenor of MISSISSIPP??? Nevermind

February 22, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. No Hillary = No Obama

When you don't know how to lead, you campaign. Obama's leadership seems to consist of scolding, cajoling, pontificating and popping open wine bottles. This is what the media needs to do: start a "camera count" – how many times does Obama need to have the cameras in front of him? Start analyzing the types of influence he relies on – is it scolding and finger pointing; how many times does he make himself the most of anything – i.e. – the Biggest stimulus plan in history; is this what the country can expect – a Soap Box Presidency. Start counting.

February 22, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. ttofast70@comcast.net

Dear Pat and Lynn in NM; yeah really value your input. I bet the last eight years were just GREAT. You can start by kissing off and taking tubby from MS-The most illiterate state in the union, and move there. You DESERVE to be there. HALEY love how you were the first one with your hand out after Katrina and the first to get money from old GW. I didn't forget if you did.

February 22, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. Rick Beagle

Actually, Ray Fisher hit the nail on head. Republicans, here is a thought, instead of looking for an open microphone, go and do something. Honestly, look around you, things aren't going so well, and I would be plumb ecstatic to hear how you plan to balance your state's budget and move your constituents into an era of prosperity. The Repub who can show fiscal discipline and still encourage their local economy into prosperity will emerge as the next Republican "PersonofInterest". So shut up you blathering, roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Peace.
    Rick Beagle

February 22, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Matthew, Detroit

Hi I am Barry Obama and I am running for President in 2012.

I have no idea what I am doing but when I get there I will.

We are here for change. Change you can believe in. OOPS.... I already used that line.

Okay try this. I am here to fix things. I just need a little more time like my buddy Chavez. How about we float the idea of changing the constitution and get rid of all these silly term limits. I mean really, you can have thought I would solve your problems in 4 years. Just give me a little more time. I think in 12 years, I can make everyone rich.

February 22, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. John Anthony

Barbour's man Bush played politics and was campaigning every day he was in office. What's the beef, Barbour?

February 22, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. Minnesotan

John in Ca. - Would you mind defining the word and concept of a "Socialist"? I can tell you that this -ism has nothing to do with any policies of this administration. You may entirely disagree, and you are of course fully entitled to do so - but consider educating yourself on a few things.

And then let me ask you this: if President Obama had the interest of this country at heart, and he believes in his policies, what do you suggest he does (regardless of what your beliefs are about his policies)? Would you think it better he stays in an office or a house somewhere and mulls, or would you think it best that he reaches out to the people to the best of his ability to convince them that he has policies that can pave the way for a brighter future. I don't know – does not seem like a hard choice to me.

February 22, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. moufasi

"Boss Hog"as we call him here in Mississippi has now proven on the national stage his insignificance. His policies are atrocious and is relatively relegated to a bill signer. He is a "political entertainer".

February 22, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. dave bryant

Before this election was even over the Republican party was on the campaign trail for 2012. Remember Palin? She was already distancing herself from McCain before the voting started! Every Politician is forever on the camaign trail, weather it be an actual campaign or the way they vote on issues.That is our political system.

February 22, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Matthew, Detroit

It really is a great political move.

He will be a cheerleader forever.

2009 Owe it is terrible out here. The sky is falling. It is really bad. I am awesome but even I cant fix this in 4 years. I hope you people are ready for this it is going to be tough, but if you give me more time....

2012 I know I just won, but I want you to know that Bush screwed this up worst than I thought. I am going to need a little more time to fix.....

2016. I know we changed the constitution, but I want you to know that this time I think we can get it fixed... It is going to be a rough road. I hope you know I dont sleep well at night and I feel bad for all you little people.

2020. Guys guys I have an idea... Its called change now, something to believe in. I know you are worried, but we are almost there. That Bush man that guy really screwed everything up. We have 30 Trillion dollar national debt but hey I inherited 10 of it from 5 other presidents and 5 of that from Bush. That sucker put us in the hole.

Dont give up. I will keep changing my clothes, my mind, my skills, I am going to be the bestus el presidente ever. Viva la americana...

February 22, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. One Vote

And lynn in NM: "He's now campaigning on governing with fear, ... last week... It was all crisis this and crisis that. Gee"

Lynn, would you say this country is in a crisis? Do you hear this administration tell you that action is needed to avoid further crisis and ensure hope and prosperity in the future? Do you hear loud Republicans come up with alternative solutions to that of the administration – or do you hear them explaining to us all that there is no help to be found... That we are doomed... that nothing being done will help.. and on and on and on the Republican fear mongers go!

February 22, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  18. Staunch Democrat

Barbour and the GOP are once again jealous of the President's NEW IDEAS and mad because they can't keep up with him or create any fresh ideas of their own.

I can promise that everything the President did during the campaign the GOP will COPY in 2012 and call it their own.

February 22, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. shannon

Now the Obama administration and his supporters are starting to say it's not American to not want to help your neighbors. Isn't that what Bush said if you didn't want to support the war. I have no problem supporting my neighbors, I give to charity, I volunteer at my daughters school and community events. I do NOT want to bail people out who made bad financial decisions. That's not un-American, that's common sense. Why should I pay for people who took out interest only loans, bought houses they couldn't afford, our took the equity out of their homes to buy more stuff. No thanks, I pay my bills, I don't whine to the government to help me out. This whole thing is one big reward for bad behavior, the 95% of did it right pay the price. I have no problem with people who can't afford their house, losing their house. I do believe that their should be help for people who have lost their jobs, but that is it, no bail out for bad decisions.

February 22, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. David Newport, OR

Let Mississippians make their own choices. They are not part of this century. If their politicians do not want help, let them suffer while the rest of the country get better.

February 22, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Veteran for Change

Once again, we see the left-over’s of the Bush era trying to keep Americans living in caves afraid of dramatically improving their lives. Ask yourself this – Why do poor, uneducated, backwards thinking Americans continue to listen to the politics of the wealthiest, educated Republicans, which do absolutely nothing to guarantee equality of opportunity? Wake up! If you follow the Republicans you and your posterity will stay poor and uneducated forever! Republicans keep trying to give themselves a makeover by setting up token mouthpieces willing to spew retardation as a national policy agenda. Come on Red states, President Obama is trying to wake up that dimly lit light that is about to go out in your nearly atrophic brains caused by years of Republican neglect. You are in the emergency room, Republicans are the disease, and President Obama is the Surgeon General on duty standing there with the cure. Say "yes, we want to live, and live better than ever before."

February 22, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. Jason

Please. Obama has one month under his belt and out come the haters. President Bush was so terrible that I can't believe the republicans even have the B*LLS to speak negatively about President Obama. Republican ideology will take this country down the drain. Best proven by the last eight years of republican leadership. Nice economy, nice wars, nice Katrina. Mission accomplished, right? Any sensible human being will see what a mess the Bush administration made of our country. You gave him 8 years to create this mess but you will only give Obama 1 month before you start ripping his efforts. God help us all.

February 22, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. frank

Just keep talking GOP plutocrats: Fast-tracking your party to extinction. Return to debate 101 – When you have nothing, say nothing. Spare your party the humiliation and maybe you can slow down the party's rapid decline to needed demise.

February 22, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. arlesia

trust me on this one. Im from Mississippi and Haley Barbour is jealous of OBAMA. I cant believe he doesnt want to take the stim money because Mississippi really needs it. There are so many people there that are out of work. Barbour is very partisan and he has no intentions of working with the president, ever.

February 22, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  25. survivor

Obama is doing the right thing – deal with it!!!

February 23, 2009 01:03 am at 1:03 am |