February 22nd, 2009

Schweitzer wishes Palin showed up to NGA meeting

CNN

Gov. Schweitzer discussed his views of the stimulus and Sarah Palin's absence from the NGA this weekend.

(CNN) – Many of the nation’s governors descended on Washington for the National Governors’ Association meeting this weekend, but a famous face was absent: Alaska governor Sarah Palin.

Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, who co-chairs the NGA's Natural Resources Committee with Palin, told CNN he wishes she was there.

"Fewer TV cameras will be there and I have to stay all the way to the end to report, so I wish she was here," Schweitzer joked on CNN's State of the Union.

But the Montana Democrat did not fault his colleague from Alaska for missing the NGA's winter meeting.

"Governors have to balance their job," he said. "These meetings are important, but in some ways, we come here and restate the obvious."

While Palin chose to skip the meeting this year, her appearance at it one year ago may have been pivotal to her future: it was when she first met Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin • State of the Union
  1. bem

Sarah Palin will be president one day. She's one of the few people in politics that thinks rationally and doesn't much care what others think of her. She is a pragmatist and a populist first, Republican second. We're going to need her in four years.

February 22, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. R

Ok, lets start over. How about one lousy week without that woman from Alaska being in the news. Tired of her sorry act already.

February 22, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. Please Sarah

Take care of your kids that desperately need a Mom at home! Can't you see that? And you may also want to get a college degree before you try to become the most powerful woman in the world. (now, that is really Scary!)

February 22, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. johnrj08

He wanted her there because she would have brought the press with her. I guess, for the GOP, bad press is better than no press at all these days.

February 22, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. Sammy

Perhaps she didnt want to be there because she would simply be one voice in a chorus. If she were asked to headline the event I am sure she would have said yes. That speaks to future ambitions.

February 22, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  6. Palin fan...NOT

Why is Palin still in the news. Someone please let me know.

February 22, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  7. Calaba

"Let Palin Alone, She still afraid of meeting the Terrorist in Washington . How can she call someone she strongly insulted during the campaign ' Mr President ' ? Secondly, she doesn't like Muslims, then the third point is that . Alaska wasn't mentioned by Obama during his visit to Canada as she begged for? Lets wait in 8yrs when she may have a chance again"

first off PAL President Obama isn't Muslim. Oh and lets just clear this up now. It wouldn't matter if he WAS. Some of might want to take a look at why this country was founded. Separation of church and state. They wanted to be able to practice whatever religion they choose. So. EAT IT. NO religion should ever play into our government. Come on you christian boneheads, just cause your churches get away with owning whatever they want and never paying a cent to the tax man doesn't mean you get to own the government 100%.

She doesn't like muslims... well I don't like racist cows so she needs to leave my country. :)

I'm pretty sure all of Canada doesn't need President Obama to tell them hey, your neighbor thats a state of ours is run by a total nutjob. Maybe he could say we're sorry for it bout that about it.

She MAY have a chance again. If what Bush did in the dumbing down of America works that is. Cause lets face facts. Anyone that votes for this woman really needs to have a nice warm enema to get the crap out of their brains so they can think for themselves and not be SHEEPLE.

February 22, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  8. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

This most insipid woman has apparently taken the advice of her critics and decided to lay low for awhile with her family up in the boondocks.

February 22, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  9. The Shark

Palin is fading, fading and quickly fading into oblivion. About time! She finally got the point that Nobody is interested in anything she says, represents and its better that she fades to save the GOP some sort of face. Sarah Palin ~ the after-thought.

February 22, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  10. Sean from KY

she probably got lost. that tends to happen to morons.

February 22, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  11. Doctor P

My fellow Americans,
    It is me, Sarah Palin. I cannot make it to the NGA because I am eating a moose burger while enjoying the view over to Russia. I figure, if I stay here in Alaska, I am much more mavericky than those Washington insiders because I am an outsider. They talk about so many political topics I just don't understand. Before such meeting, I need another prep debate by those helpful second graders. (wink, wink). I have not even returned the $ 130,000 wardrobe and donated it as I said I would so I rather stay here and learn the names of major newspaper publications in case Katie Couric asks me again because even now, I am so clueless.

February 22, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  12. MZ

If she doesn't show they complain she's NOT there. If she shows up, they complain that she is.
    We'll ALL be begging for her to come back after four LONG years of Obama's TAXES !!!!

February 22, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  13. Jimbo

It is because Alaska does not need any money.
    Sarah Palin does not want to accept any yuan from the fed

February 22, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  14. Cathy

She is a ZOOMBY BARBIE

February 22, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  15. dittohead with forty names

Palin and him should just be honest and say we speak for exxon mobil and get it over with.I would like to see both their offshore acct. figures in euros.

February 22, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Get Real

I hate the way we have seen all this negative reporting about Sarah Palin. Look around morons, there are worse Governors than her. I am from Ohio need I say anything more. Our governor has not done squat but blame everyone else and he has high approval ratings. Says a lot about Ohio I guess.

February 22, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  17. bk

Wow for all you people that think Gov. Palin is so dumb, she has done a fine job governing Alaska and giving the people money back and saving the rest. Too bad the media doesn't tell you she is a very good governor and works for the people. No you people have had corrupt lying people representing you so long you wouldn't recognize someone that was honest. Idiots!

February 22, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. Gordon

So what's the matter CNN...my comments not politically correct
    enough for you bastards?

February 22, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  19. JB Wisconsin

Must not have anything better to do than attacking Palin. I can for sure give everyone lots of names to go after, but you don't want to eat your own. MOVE ON CNN and their robots!!!!!!

February 22, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. Jimmy, Alaska

Palin is doing a tremendous here in the state of Alaska. Don't listen to liberals from lower 48 who are afraid of her goods. And don't listen to hardcore liberals here in Alaska who says she hasn't done crap. They're just don't want her to look good.

February 22, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  21. Tony

Why....what could she add
    Maybe...She can smell oil from her front porch!!!

Just another tax evader...(CRIMINAL)

February 22, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. empire

She didn't want to be near another Dumbocrat like Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer who found again beating off in the girls room.

February 22, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. Stu-Florida

Famous face??? Yea, for all the wrong reasons. Many, including me, cringe when we see her face or hear her nails on a blackboard voice.
    Especially since she was kind of close to being in the White House.
    UGH.... I still ger the shivers.
    Besides it's close to tax time she wants to be sure she dot her t's and crosses her i's. Education is a wonderful thing.
    I'm glad we chose an educated President!!

February 22, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  24. rich

She is getting smarter.No press is good press.

February 22, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  25. cobra

All of you idiots that are always trashing Sarah Palin have not got brains enough to pour p*ss out of boot with the instructions on the heel. She has more smarts then the thing in the White House you fools elected.

February 22, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |