February 22nd, 2009

Three Republicans won't rule out White House run

Govs. Jindal, Pawlenty, and Sanford would not rule out running for president in 2012.

(CNN) – In January of 2006, Illinois' junior senator definitively stated on NBC's Meet the Press that he was not interested in running for president.

On Sunday, three Republican governors and potential White House hopefuls were considerably more cautious in answering the same question Barack Obama did three years ago.

"What I'm saying is I'm running for re-election. I have no, no plans beyond that," Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said on Meet the Press after facing repeated questions about his political future.

On Fox News Sunday, neither South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford or Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty would definitively rule out running.

"Is it a plan? Absolutely not. Is it a likelihood? Absolutely not. But I've learned that you never say guaranteed on tomorrow when you don't know tomorrow," Sanford said.

Pawlenty, meanwhile, said he is currently deciding whether to run for reelection in 2010.

"I'm first thinking about running for reelection for governor in the state of Minnesota, and that's my focus. And if I do, you know, people would expect you to serve out that term," he said.

To be sure, all three answers were significantly less definitive than the answer then-Senator Obama gave in 2006.

"I will serve out my full six-year term," he said then. "My thinking has not changed."

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Mark Sanford • Tim Pawlenty
  1. Fedup

Clearly, these are major issues for me which is why I read it, however, has it ocurred to any of you pundits that those reporting have poor communication skills? Read once more, the beginning sentence of this article. If I were in charge of communication and marketing for any enterprising firm, I would at least be dressed down, if not fired. At CNN, though, you can be grammatically incorrect. Don't you question whether the information is misunderstood before it is inarticulated?

February 22, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. dave

And all three is against the stimulus bill how ironic. I wonder if it work what will they say?

February 22, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. cj

Jindal is your best bet. He will wait till 2016 to run. The GOP is in such a mess that he will not risk a 2012 run till they have their act together.

February 22, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. Independent_me

Good luck on that.

February 22, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  5. Nestor, Austin, TX

Piyush 2012!!!

February 22, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  6. P. D.

Is this the best of the Republican Party? Well, I guess they are better than Palin. NOT!

February 22, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  7. Proud American

Someone once told me their was a Idiot born everyday. Republicans are total Morons. When will they learn?

February 22, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  8. Look Up

After Obama and the Dumbacrats get done flubbing us, it will be a cake walk for any Republican to win!

February 22, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. Had It

KFR is right – watching them devour each other in the primaries should make for really good entertainment. Ha ha ha ha ha

February 22, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  10. Randy, San Francisco

Throw in Palin, Romney, and Huclklebee into the mix and you have six losers.

February 22, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  11. Proud American

Well it's time to change the name of the Idiot from La. to Slum Dog. One of the poorest states in the country and unemployment at over 10% he's refusing the stimulus. What a Moron I can't wait until 2012. Republicans are such Idiots.

February 22, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Had It

Umm – let's all register as republicans for the primaries – that would make great fun !!!!

February 22, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  13. justasking99

Am I the only citizen who associates these Republican governors with Benedict Arnold or Tokyo Rose? Remember, the Nation is at war, the economy is in a state of emergency. Why are these governors not asking what they can do for the Nation? I'm afraid their regrettable actions speak for themselves.

February 22, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. S Callahan

Jindal is not a loser....though he is wise not to put this in consideration yet. Things will become better and people will be pleased with Pres. Obama so he just might serve another term.
    Down the road though, Jindal has a real shot at the position. His actions have carried him well.

February 22, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. Dianne

Doesn't matter who runs for the GOP, the people won't forget how they screwed things up the past 8 years and continue to say they have all th answers. it will be many years before they get another shot. (No reference to Cheney)

February 22, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. bob in LA

Anybody but Palin is fine- these men may or may not be on the same page with my views, but at least they can find the page!

February 22, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  17. Tanker

Jindal had some independent thoughts before, but now he's starting to become another GOP stooge. Sad. I hope they have some real new thoughts in there somewhere. A dark-skinned young guy isn't the same thing as a new and better battle plan.

To see these three men lust for power so early and so openly is sickening. At least Obama waited two years.

February 22, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. Lisa

"The Three Blind Mice."

Hahahaha.

February 22, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. rich

Obama has nothing to worry about.

February 22, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. A 100% Democrat

Jindal impressed me with his handling of Katrina. But, I am disappointed that he is playing games with the stimulus bill. If states accepting assistance from the stimulus do better by the time 2012 comes, he will be toasted.

I want all identities accepting help with the stimulus be hold accountables. But, I also all voters to follow closely the actions of all states not accepting the help from the stimulus as well. I don't trust the governors of such states. They are up to something. If they fare worse in the future, I have the feeling they will blame on the current administration.

By the way, I cannot help it but think of the Three Stooges, when I saw the picture.

February 22, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  21. Only in America

Mr Jindal- it's not too late to come over to the CHANGE Express, Arnold is on his way- a very smart move I'd say

February 22, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  22. Mike - Houston

All three are heads and shoulders above the puppet we have in there now. Jindal would run rings around Obama.

Jindal 2012 (then again, anyone but Obama in 2012). Too bad you can't impeach a president for incompetence.

February 22, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  23. Jim

They think because Obama voted no for the war and won the presidency that declining stimulus funds will do the same for them. Wrong.

February 22, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  24. Dee

Why don't these three men work with our current (and new) President to solve the economic crisis instead of worrying about running for President in 2012? All their actions seem determined to undermine the administration's policies in order to advance their own political agenda.

February 22, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |