(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton will headline a fundraiser for his wife’s Senate successor in New York City next month, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand announced Monday.
“Both Secretary of State Clinton and President Clinton embody the type of leadership I hope to bring to the State of New York,” said Gillibrand, in a message to supporters. “[A]nd President Clinton's willingness to show his early support for my candidacy could not mean more to me.”
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of Long Island has been mentioned as a possible challenger to Gillibrand in a 2010 Democratic primary race. Rep. Peter King, a Republican from Nassau County, may seek to represent the GOP in the general election contest.
I find GOP criticism of the stimulus package hilarious. Next up 'stimulus' will be chosen as VP candidate then 'stimulus' will make history as choice for RNC chair. GOP get over yourselves. No one trusts you on economic and now military issues. See 06 and 08 election results. Stimulus is so horrible that the GOP Governors who have been making a show of railing against will only accept 97%+ of it. Ohhh the other 3% is soooo terrible!! BTW thanks for the lovely recession we've been having. Great fun watching so many ppl lose their jobs. Homelessness and joblessness rise sharply following 8 yrs of GOP.
Indy Vet, dry up. Got beat in the last election and now you want everyone to be misserable.
lol, what does former President Clinton want with this woman!
Thanks to Gillibrand for becoming New York, US senator. The 20th District in New York state is in the toss up column. Special election on March 31st will be an interesting race to watch. There is a very good chance that, republicans will win that race.
when Clinton left office, we had plenty of money , when bush and his band of republicans left we are TRILLONS OF DOLLARS IN DEBT, HOW CAN THE REPUBLICANS EVEN LOOK AMERICA IN THE FACE.
I can remain silent on many half truths and or slip ups on both sides but the comment from one reader that Bill Clinton is one of the most beloved president's of all times?? He single handedly brought the office of the presidency to it's knees. Excuse the double intendre.
Gillibrand was a terrible choice, she is not representative of New York. Why does Clinton want to do us harm?!
Would you buy a used car from either of these women?
Obama supporter woman haters?
Wow, someone is mixing their descriptions aren't they?
Some of you bloggers make me so proud I never bashed the last Prez I never voted for.
I guess the blogging world exists just for anonymous people to say whatever they want, whenever they want, anonymously.
Bill!! Bil!! Please save us!!! Save this economy!!!
Better than Moose hunter, anyday.
You know, people can be so juvenile and insulting in their
comments. Hillary Clinton was an excellent senator for New York, including the upstate areas. Kirsten Gillibrand is another extremely serious, dedicated and intelligent politician, and I am very happy that Governor Patterson chose her to replace Clinton. I plan on switching from Independant to Democrat so that I can vote for her in the primary.
Hey it looks like Bill has another fishing trip planned and he is already wiggling his bait..
I bet they'd be nice cars.
I wouldn't buy a used car from Obama.
...I'm not saying I told you so...but if you had picked Kennedy should would not have needed a fundraiser...money would have been handed to her......
I feel awful for Kirstin...she really is talented...but somehow..she is getting screwed through all this.
bill would show up at a hanging if he got publicity – never has such an insecure fool reached such high office and remained an insecure fool! when will people stop showing up to see a washed up, old man ?
Ross, Chautauqua, NY:
Actually, Gillibrand IS representative of New York! She represents the ENTIRE State of New York, instead of just New York City.
It's about time NY starts electing people who represent the State, instead of just one tiny little corner of the State.
If I were running for any political position I would sure like the Clinton's on my team. You can bash them all you want, but they
have both devoted years to help this country and Bill Clinton is one of the most beloved Presidents of all times.__________________beloved by ignorant sheeple. Bill Clinton was one of the most embarassing presidents of all time.
I will support Ms, McCarthy ! Gillibrand can take her guns elsewhere.
That's the way it is in our Government leadership, you have to pay to play.
Good point, Ravi. NYC is one sick place.
Small town "boring" sounds better and better all the time.
I'd leave, but first I'd have to relearn how to drive.