February 23rd, 2009

Bill Clinton to headline fundraiser for Gillibrand

Sen. Gillibrand announced Monday that former Pres. Bill Clinton will appear at a fundraiser next month for her 2010 re-election bid.  Gillibrand replaced Hillary Clinton in the Senate.
Sen. Gillibrand announced Monday that former Pres. Bill Clinton will appear at a fundraiser next month for her 2010 re-election bid. Gillibrand replaced Hillary Clinton in the Senate.

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton will headline a fundraiser for his wife’s Senate successor in New York City next month, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand announced Monday.

“Both Secretary of State Clinton and President Clinton embody the type of leadership I hope to bring to the State of New York,” said Gillibrand, in a message to supporters. “[A]nd President Clinton's willingness to show his early support for my candidacy could not mean more to me.”

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of Long Island has been mentioned as a possible challenger to Gillibrand in a 2010 Democratic primary race. Rep. Peter King, a Republican from Nassau County, may seek to represent the GOP in the general election contest.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Kirsten Gillibrand
  1. brianne

I find GOP criticism of the stimulus package hilarious. Next up 'stimulus' will be chosen as VP candidate then 'stimulus' will make history as choice for RNC chair. GOP get over yourselves. No one trusts you on economic and now military issues. See 06 and 08 election results. Stimulus is so horrible that the GOP Governors who have been making a show of railing against will only accept 97%+ of it. Ohhh the other 3% is soooo terrible!! BTW thanks for the lovely recession we've been having. Great fun watching so many ppl lose their jobs. Homelessness and joblessness rise sharply following 8 yrs of GOP.

February 23, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  2. Once you vote Black

Indy Vet, dry up. Got beat in the last election and now you want everyone to be misserable.

February 23, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. Bill

lol, what does former President Clinton want with this woman!

February 23, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. ranjit

Thanks to Gillibrand for becoming New York, US senator. The 20th District in New York state is in the toss up column. Special election on March 31st will be an interesting race to watch. There is a very good chance that, republicans will win that race.

February 23, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. america first

when Clinton left office, we had plenty of money , when bush and his band of republicans left we are TRILLONS OF DOLLARS IN DEBT, HOW CAN THE REPUBLICANS EVEN LOOK AMERICA IN THE FACE.

February 23, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. Bill in California

I can remain silent on many half truths and or slip ups on both sides but the comment from one reader that Bill Clinton is one of the most beloved president's of all times?? He single handedly brought the office of the presidency to it's knees. Excuse the double intendre.

February 23, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  7. Ross, Chautauqua, NY

Gillibrand was a terrible choice, she is not representative of New York. Why does Clinton want to do us harm?!

February 23, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. C.S.A republicans

Would you buy a used car from either of these women?

February 23, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. Peter (CA)

Obama supporter woman haters?

Wow, someone is mixing their descriptions aren't they?

February 23, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  10. Anna, ATL

Some of you bloggers make me so proud I never bashed the last Prez I never voted for.

I guess the blogging world exists just for anonymous people to say whatever they want, whenever they want, anonymously.

February 23, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  11. FreeNLovIt

Bill!! Bil!! Please save us!!! Save this economy!!!

February 23, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Robert

Better than Moose hunter, anyday.

February 23, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. Susan

You know, people can be so juvenile and insulting in their
    comments. Hillary Clinton was an excellent senator for New York, including the upstate areas. Kirsten Gillibrand is another extremely serious, dedicated and intelligent politician, and I am very happy that Governor Patterson chose her to replace Clinton. I plan on switching from Independant to Democrat so that I can vote for her in the primary.

February 23, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  14. Rick

Hey it looks like Bill has another fishing trip planned and he is already wiggling his bait..

February 23, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Keenan, Glens Falls, NY

I bet they'd be nice cars.

February 23, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. Judy from PA

I wouldn't buy a used car from Obama.

February 23, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. S Callahan

...I'm not saying I told you so...but if you had picked Kennedy should would not have needed a fundraiser...money would have been handed to her......

I feel awful for Kirstin...she really is talented...but somehow..she is getting screwed through all this.

February 23, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  18. S Callahan

February 23, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  19. S Callahan

February 23, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. tess

bill would show up at a hanging if he got publicity – never has such an insecure fool reached such high office and remained an insecure fool! when will people stop showing up to see a washed up, old man ?

February 23, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  21. Ravi

Ross, Chautauqua, NY:

Actually, Gillibrand IS representative of New York! She represents the ENTIRE State of New York, instead of just New York City.

It's about time NY starts electing people who represent the State, instead of just one tiny little corner of the State.

February 23, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  22. YBM

If I were running for any political position I would sure like the Clinton's on my team. You can bash them all you want, but they
    have both devoted years to help this country and Bill Clinton is one of the most beloved Presidents of all times.__________________beloved by ignorant sheeple. Bill Clinton was one of the most embarassing presidents of all time.

February 23, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  23. Amanda

I will support Ms, McCarthy ! Gillibrand can take her guns elsewhere.

February 23, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  24. The Lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

That's the way it is in our Government leadership, you have to pay to play.

February 23, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. Mike in NYC

Good point, Ravi. NYC is one sick place.

Small town "boring" sounds better and better all the time.

I'd leave, but first I'd have to relearn how to drive.

February 23, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |