February 23rd, 2009

DCCC targets 12 Republicans on stimulus

Rep. Adam Putnam, R-Florida, is among the House Republicans the DCCC is targeting.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A dozen House Republicans are targeted in a new House Democratic political campaign that criticizes the GOP lawmakers for opposing the $787 billion stimulus package.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee will contact voters this week by telephone with a recorded message saying that their Republican congressman voted “against the largest tax cut in history,” and against a stimulus bill that the business friendly U.S. Chamber of Commerce supported.

The campaign also includes “emails and text messages directly to targeted Republicans’ constituents,” a DCCC official tells CNN. House Democrats have also created a Web site to explain how they believe the stimulus bill will affect individual congressional districts.

Only three congressional Republicans, all senators, voted for the final passage of the stimulus bill.

Full list of Republicans targeted after the jump

The House Republicans targeted in this new Democratic campaign include:

Rep. Thad McCotter of Michigan

Rep. Adam Putnam of Florida

Rep. Dave Reichert of Washington

Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas

Filed under: DCCC
  1. Bill,ca

Good. Let the whole world know about the corrupt NO sayers.

Expose them all, they supported Bush's politic and still are.

Get them out in 2010.

February 23, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. gl, Pittsburgh

GO GET THEM – THE TALIBAN PARTY NEEDS TO GO!

February 23, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. Mark

I can't believe the ignorance of people. The stimulus bill does not benefit you. Unless $13 a week can pay your bills or unless you are a large construction company that will be getting the contracts to bulid all these new buildings and infrastructure. Of course the big business construction guys are 100% trustworthy and are going to give their illegal workers great pay and benefits right? They aren't going to charge the government 10 times the amount to do something than what is really required so they can pocket the difference. I like to see new schools built, but after the buildings are up where are they going to get the money to actually hire and pay the teachers? Just because you build a building doesn't mean there is money to sustain it. I am like a majorty of the U.S. and I don't work in construction, didn't buy a house I couldn't afford, live within my means, and sacrifice my wants to make sure my families needs are met. I applaud my conservative representatives.

February 23, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Laura, Boston

I think they deserve a standing ovation!

I can't even imagine that the extra $13 in my paycheck will stimulate anything; but, I guarantee that the interest spent in giving me that $13 will cost not only me but my son and his children and maybe even their children.

I would find it interesting if CNN put up a post and everybody could tell them exactly what the $13 means to them.

Just remember next year 2010, it is only $7.70 extra so enjoy it while you can.

I say the DCCC should have better things to do with its time like trying to solve the mess in IL and MN and stop focusing on the next election. My goodness haven't we had enough! Obama's only been in office for a little over 30 days and they are planning 2012.

Solve the problems in all 50 states regardless of party affiliation!

February 23, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  5. Vicki

Oh yeah, I'm soooo sad my republicans voteed against giving me a whopping $13 a week!!! Give me a break!! They call that a tax cut??? Gee, what am I going to buy first with that windfall? NOTHING!!

I applaud the GOP for having spines & saying NO to overwhelming socialism!!!

February 23, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. jim

Excuse me, but, the Democrats don't need any Republican votes on anything, they own the majorities in Congress. So, guees what they own it lock ,stock, and barrel. If it fails and it sounds like it's on its way to being a total failure, the Democrats are the one that ought to be affair about losing these jobs.

February 23, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  7. Scott, Tucson

Seems that these 12 are about the only ones in DC with some real backbone. And just what do these democrats plan to tell us when they need yet another huge stimulus bill in a few months?

February 23, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  8. I Will Make Them Famous, You Will Know Their Names

We live in a political & corporate world where it is easy to say "No". That's not where the courage is required. Leaders have to grow businesses and make progress ... responsibly.

Every 4 years the country says how much it disapproves of Congress as a whole but, people locally laud their own Congressman. This is why nothing ever changes.

I'm glad to see the DCCC take these steps. I encourage them to reprise these commericials in 2010 when these men are running for office. Americans have short memories for the transgressions of their locally elected, and re-elected officials.

It's time to fire these 12 guys and replace them with moderate & progressive democrats. That's what we call "taking responsibility" and "being accountable".

February 23, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. nadine

Obama back to his campaign strategies, forcing the people to do his bidding. Talk about fear mongering. I thought he was against that. Those that vote for the stimulus are putting their own children and grandchildren in debt - boy are they selfish - only wanting those nice "eco-friendly" cars and remodeling of the office.

February 23, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. ron

A taste of thier own medicine –I love it. Dear republicans, you had your chance over the last 30 years and blew it. Thanks for leaving such a mess for my generation to clean up. Thank God that I do not know a single person my age that is a Republican, the Grand Old Party is exactly just that - Old, and dying.

February 23, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. Fan of Common Sense

I am so proud that my Congressman and both of my U.S. Senators voted against B.O.'s PORK bill. Keep it up Republicans! It's about time you start acting like Republicans again. I hope you fight these marxist and socialist ALL THE WAY!! Keep obstructing and resisting and in 2010, the Congress will be yours again!!

February 23, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  12. Bedford

These 12 anti-Americans did not hesitate to vote for billions to repair Iraqi roads and infrastructure, yet now complain spending on U.S. soil is wasteful. Just who do the repugs really represent?

February 23, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  13. margaret

It's a great day in America. Finally a President who does not get into the fray, but just keeps doing what he feels is best for this country. I like how he is ignoring all the noise from the other side and from (as Gibbs says) the cable news networks. People listen someone has to try to do something to bring this country out of the toilet that the Repubs took us to in 8 years. why weren't they before the cameras early on letting the American people know their feelings?

President Obama will be just fine in spite of. He has already made history since taking office and will continue to do so.

I believe in siding with the best man, but at this time I don't see a Repub that is a best man just a grumpy one. Mr. Steele, Mr. Banner, Mr. Cantor, Mr. McConnel please take a look at yourselves. You are a disgrace, you offer nothing better just fight against what is offered. Mr.
    McCain you had your chance and the people rejected you, enough said. Guys old grumpy faces and old ideas are a thing of yesterday, please understand that.

And OOOOOO cable news – John King, Chuck Todd, FIX News, Lou Dobbs just to name a few. You all seem so flustrated because it is not going your way. It is a new day, you can't seem to handle someone who wants to do things the correct way which is not your way. Try being less flustrated and just report the news and leave your ideas where they belong.

Finally, Mr. Obama will succeed or fail, but let him do it on his own.

February 23, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  14. larry buchas

Republicans had no alternative plans & Barack offered them about 35% going to tax cuts. All the leading Economists say these tax cuts won't have any stimulus effect on the bill.

It's long past time to invest in high speed rail lines, energy alternatives, improved education & health care.

Otherwise, we're heading toward the dark ages.

Thank God for Obama.

February 23, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool

Only time will tell about Bailout II, but those who voted against are truely the American heros. What will the Dems do to explain the next bailout package? Let's see the spending reducutions in the budget that will pay for this. Let's see what our President feels doesn't work, and looses it's funding?

February 23, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  16. Laura, Boston

@DW, NY FOR OBAMA '08 wrtoe "all they have succeeded in doing, is making themselves look greedy, self-centered and racist"

_________________________________
    I would like to know how voting ones conscience makes that one rasicst. You are very quick to use the word but I believe you are the one who is being racist.

How? Everytime someone disagrees with President Obama you will say they are racist. That is wrong. That is why we are a nation of ideas because we don't all think the same way.

I say you need to lay off the Kool-Aid and get a grip on reality. The Republicans had ideas that would have really stimulated the economy and helped President Obama look even better but the dems wanted spending over tax cuts. So we will see who is correct and who will have egg on their face.

February 23, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. Kent

I wish the representative from my district was on this list. Congressman Lewis from the 41st district is the worst of the corrupt. The numbskulls in this district keep re-electing him. Their rationale is that he has been there forever and it wouldn't work well for the district if we lose our seniority. He's a crook and everyone here seems to know it.

February 23, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. jpg midwest

It is time for the name calling to stop. So what if republicans voted against the stimulus package?? The dems still passed it... We will still pay for it for years to come. Dems got what they want but they still want to destroy repubs... Why?? What will that gain? How will you get bipatisanship if you personally attack the individual and thier job and expect to play nice the next day at work?? Oh I forgot, I'm from the real world... We will see how popular the Dems stay when they go back asking for a third installment to the stimulus bill... Maybe next time they will get it right but I doubt it... How can you when you don't read what you vote for.... At least when I voted McCain I knew what I was going to get.... And it wasn't this mess...

If each individual person in the US read the bill and voted it would not get passed. I guess it fits though. The liberal "edjumacated" few apparently know what is better for our society than the rest of us un-educated masses. Does it show that I was learned during the "democrates" rule... Mi horrobile speling and grammmmer is a resullltt of democratic policies fore edgucation.. Yes I understand that is difficult to get through but I'm sure you get my point. It always seems like it is the dem way or the highway... To quote a "great" man... (funny in itself but still works) "Can't we all just get along?"

February 23, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. rebekah

We can't do it can we? Americans are hateful, they do not want to help each other unless there is something to gain for themselves. Americans are ignorant to the fact that helping one another benefits everyone. Heaven forbid we help each other! Instead, pull yourselves up by your boot straps get a job and quit whining! The illegals are stealing our jobs!! Don't know many white men and women picking tomatoes or working in the chicken plants, maybe a few but the American citizens are lining up just waiting for those jobs! It's my right to make $70 an hour for putting a widget in a do hickey, and what losers people are for making $10 an hour and how dare they have the audacity to want to buy a house! This is the American mentality and frankly I am sick to death of it. For all you so called Christians out there Jesus helped people, he didn't say get a job you slob, he held out his hand to lift up the human race, Americans see giving help to others as a hand out and want no part of being truly compassionate towards each other. I know it's a rant I'm just fed up!

February 23, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  20. Dazed In Seattle

I am reading this and in absolute disbelief at what is coming out of the mouths of some of you idiots on here. Look, you can hate the President all you want. He is doing for this country what none of the republican presidents have ever been willing to do, but yet and still you outright bigotted people have your agenda to think about while there are families starving and losing everything they have. Shame on anyone who agreed with the values and cohersion being put out by the GOP and you have the odacity to defend them. I wonder where you people live because it must be in the glitter and glam of society where you think that Obama is going to steal what you have had others work so hard to build for you. You all are egomaniacal and need to be put in your places. Think about it like this, who gets to experience the best that the U.S. has to offer? The rich..... Who should have to pay for the best life has to offer? The rich...... Who is trying to get everyone else to do their jobs for them? The Rich.... You have all been handed the best of the world but still complain about how bad your life is.... Give me a break, I am so sick of hearing what you think and feel. Your agenda sucks for the rest of us and still you think that you are being done wrong. Get over yourselves and start working to better this country not just you and your friends in your elite groups.....

February 23, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. Jason

There is definitely some party bias in many of these comments. Even though I usually vote Democratic, I am glad that many of the representatives from my state did not vote for the stimulus package because in the long run it will not solve the problem we are facing and will only create a dependency for government to solve every problem when other resources should be in place. While too many people are dumb enough to believe one party is better than the other, they fail to realize that both parties are a failure and created this mess from the mortgage failure started by Clinton and Barney Frank to the mismanagement by Bush and a very costly war. I never want to see one party have complete control of government because then there is no balance of powers and one segment of the population is hugely ignored.

February 23, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. Spencer

Frankly, if I get a pre-recorded message on a phone call, I just hang up. I don't even listen to what they have to say. I know a lot of my friends and family do the same. So how much money did the Democrats spend on this attack? Wow, what a waste! I guess that's our tax dollars at work. I'm proud of each and every one of these Republicans for standing up to wasteful spending. This action just goes even further to show the corruption and lack of morals in the Democratic party. It's no longer about working for the good of the people. It's back to Hamiltonian politics and PARTY FIRST MENTALITY!!! Anything to stay in office and further your political careers, right Democrats???

February 23, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |