February 23rd, 2009

Former adviser cuts ties with embattled senator

Burris has lost another adviser.
Burris has lost another adviser.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Embattled Sen. Roland Burris lost the counsel of another adviser Monday, as Illinois lawmakers continued to call on him to resign his seat.

Bud Jackson, who helped Burris in his bid to replace President Obama in the Senate, sent a mass email distancing himself from Burris and describing the senator's "public relations efforts" as "less than stellar."

"Turns out that, because my business is political communication, I need to let folks know that I have not been involved in the decisions that have led to the public relations fiasco over the past week," Jackson wrote. "In fact, I actively counseled his team to take very different actions, to no avail."

But Jackson did note that he continues to back Burris even as others are calling on him to step down.

"I know that he has done nothing inappropriate despite the impression that has been left," Jackson wrote.

Burris is under fire for failing to detail his contacts with associates of now-impeached Gov. Rod Blagojevich. The senator's chief of staff and a spokesman have quit.ris

Filed under: Roland Burris
  1. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

The man is an egomaniac (let's talk about the mausoleum he's built for himself) and will not give up his seat for the public good.

February 23, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Jane, this isn't about grammar, "it is" about Burris resigning. Got it.

February 23, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Cjaneg

Not sure this makes much sense at all. Done nothing wrong but an adviser distances himself from him becauses his actions are less than stellar....sounds like double speak to me....

Burris is a laughing stock , just go away please!

February 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Rick

The Obama "culture of corruption" on full display.

February 23, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. EAS

Well, I guess if John McCain can still be a Senator after the Keating fiasco then Burris might as well stay in his seat! What McCain did was truly unethical.

February 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Chris

I'm a Democrat and I say this guy really needs to resign as soon as possible!!!

February 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. Jon in Ca

Let's play a quick game – WHO AM I??

1) Black Chicago Politician
    2) Has worked in the Senate
    3) Has ties to Blago
    4) Has seedy past dealings
    5) Has angry race-baiting friends

February 23, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. James

First, I'm not a Burris fan, advocate, or enemy. But, do I believe he lied – NO! All lawyers, in a trial, tell their clients to "only answer the question(s)" and not to say/elaborate too much. It's like when politicians say "I don't recall" or by pleading the 5th. Are they completely answering the questions and being totally forthright? NO! Is it perjury? NO. He had already been legally seated by the sitting (although battered) governor. If that process was wrong he wouldn't have gotten the seat. Remember, they tried to stop that.
    If you're not from IL then you don't know how politics here works. They all "play the game." Most people calling for his ouster are trying to get his seat. The entire process and functionality of his appointment was flawed, but by the rules. Examples: IL Att Gen, Lisa Madigan, called for Blago's ouster. Her father's speaker of the house and a HUGE opponent of Blago. Oh yea, she's also planning on running for governor. I can't tell you how many IL congressman got their seat because a relative appointed them before they left office; therefore, at the next election, they're the incumbent who speaks of experience and what they've done with the seat i.e. Cook Co. Board Pres. Todd Stroger, Mayor Daley, Lisa Madigan, many Chicago aldermen. Nepotism prevails all day everyday in IL. IL politics are corrupt from the building inspectors you pay to pass inspection all the way to the Governors mansion. Chicago City Hall has been under a cloud and in a storm of corruption for years. It's all crooked here.
    Back to Burris. What if he had said more? He was already appointed by that time. Could he have been more forthright? Definitely. Did he lie? No. Let's move on. It's essentially a 1 year appointment.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

February 23, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  9. Trace

This is what happens when you accept a job from another crook. There is no such thing as "honor among thieves".

February 23, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  10. Franky

"President Obama, who won the presidency on a bipartisan platform, now faces a very divided Washington."

I swear, you media networks sure are slow, we knew this months ago. I swear, it seems like we are 10 years advance, people should just come up to us because it seems like everything we(or I) predicted has come true BUT I haven't predicted that stimulis bill and how it will play out. I was gonna talk about it during the weekend but you know what? I'll let you figure it out, is funny watching the media nowadays...

February 23, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  11. John

I don't get it. They asked him to raise money; he asked his friends if they'd contribute. The fact that nobody was willing to coontribute is irrelevant- the quid pro quo is that he asked.
    Let's do that math again. Burris already knew he had an interest in the Senate seat when Blago's brother asked him to do Blago a favor. Burris tried to do that favor. He did not respond to them as he should have, that they must be insane to ask that favor of him.
    Burris must have thought as Blago thought, that he personally could do anything or say anything no matter how bad it looked, and still strut his stuff on top.

February 23, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  12. Scott the Independent

There seem to be and excess of stupid people running the government in Illionis. Bud Jackson is just another one. There should have been a special election period.

February 23, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. JA/TN

the seat is tainted, the man acted as if he was just entering politics, maybe a thirtysomething, go home Roland, rock and read to your grands, the elderly in America should show more grace, this is worst than Mr Keyes running

February 23, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  14. James

Dear Joe 11:36 am. Your "black pig" comment is the typical racist ignorance that is destroying unity of the world. Burris on welfare? Get the facts. He heads a lobbying law firm, and has gotten rich like all the white lobbyist. If you don't know what you're talking about then a la Jim Calhoun, UConn – "shutup and get the facts."
    I'm sure he's at the slop trough eating better than you. If you had a life, his color and wether or not he was on welfare would be irrelevant. You must be one of the 5 million unemployed. Speaking of....how many of those will be on welfare. A recession can be seen as an Economic Equalization.

February 23, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  15. daniel cabrera

WE NEED HONEST AND CARING LEADERS AT HELM,OUR GREAT COUNTRY DESERVES BETTER !

Question:
    DOES OBAMA AND HIS GROUP ACTING LIKE TRAITORS TO OUR NATION?

All around lately is about economy, economy, economy....like using that to pseudo-hypnotize (or totally hypnotize) the masses , while the mililtary spectrum (all that is relative to it) and others factors in NATIONAL SECURITY are carefully and swiftly geting dismanteled/DESINTEGRATED.

It looks like Obama is in the same path of 'almost dictator' Hugo Chavez from Venezuela.
    First, nationalization of the private asset – banks and so on,, then, censorship – no more free speech etc, then, dictation of norms and guidelines for everything pertinent to the public.

A perfect conduit to socialism-marxism ...eventually comunism.

And the last straw by Chavez was, 'promote', 'ask' and really PUSH the LIFETIME PRESIDENCY (TOTALITARISM/DICTATORSHIP) to the masses there in that country.

I am a simple man, and all I see is that WE, the people were cheated, our trust and money continues to be abused and the perpetrators still at large.
    I do not have any confidence on this CORRUPTED PRESENT ADMINISTRATION WHICH IS PERPETUATING THIS ASSAULT AND MOVING THIS GREAT NATION TO OBLIVION.

sincerely,
    Daniel Cabrera
    Merrillville,Indiana

February 23, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  16. Arlene Illinois

Roland, Roland, Roland, down the river from the tainted former
    Gov. Rod Blagojevich, the most disrespectful person in Illinois.

February 23, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. God Help us

Stay in the fight, people want to judge before they get all the facts. This has nothing to do with you. You do what you do. DO NOT QUIT.

February 23, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  18. Baze

aye yaye yaye, just resign already

February 23, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. Larry Dickman

The issue is the former Governor of Illinois was soliciting money to fill President Obama's Senate Seat.

Not it comes out that he called Roland Burris about it and asked him for money.

Burris talked to people about raising money for the Governor and said he could not raise any money.

Burris was testifiying, and did not mention this while under Oath, because he felt they did not ask the question the right way.

This was hidden and kept quite till after he was accepted by the US Senate.

There is just to much of a connection here. This is NOT about a Democrat v. Republican. This is about doing what is right for the people of Illinois for ONCE. Make it an election. The State is Democratic anyway, what are the Democrats afraid of?

February 23, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. Sniffit

@ ran

While I agree he must resign, I'm incredibly curious where you got the talking point about him going to jail. He's in hot water for doing something questionable and perhaps unethical, but as of yet there's been no evidence of illegal behavior. Listen to Limbannity much?

February 23, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Jean

It's quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I fire you. I fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

So, if you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy; it will
    be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country,
    steamrolled the constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about....

Signed,
    Your boss

February 23, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  22. Melissa

Another one?

February 23, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  23. Sen. Burris

I did not have sexual relations with that brother.

February 23, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  24. JIM WHITTAKER, Hemet, CA

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our
    silverware."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 23, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  25. Obama 2.0

If it starts on the wrong foot then it will end on the Jail foot.

February 23, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |