February 23rd, 2009

What's cooking in the WH kitchen?

Michelle Obama invited six L'Academie de Cuisine students to attend Sunday's menu briefing, explaining the dinner's various courses and introducing them to the White House executive chef.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Michelle Obama invited six Maryland culinary school students into the executive kitchen Sunday before the president and first lady hosted their first state dinner.

Obama allowed the top-ranked L'Academie de Cuisine students to attend the menu briefing, explaining the dinner's various courses and introducing them to the White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford. While meeting with the culinary apprentices, the first lady weighed in on locally grown foods and opened up about a struggle that most moms face - how to coax children into eating their vegetables.

"When you grow something yourself and it's close and it's local, oftentimes it tastes really good," Mrs. Obama said. "And when you're dealing with kids, for example, you want to get them to try that carrot. Well, if it tastes like a real carrot and it's really sweet, they're going to think that it's a piece of candy. So my kids are more inclined to try different vegetables if they're fresh and local and delicious."

The first lady said the goal of the event was to "showcase some of this talent," so the students met head pastry chef Bill Yosses, the culinary artist responsible for preparing a first family favorite - the White House huckleberry cobbler.

“Maybe one day you guys might wind up being a White House chef,” White House Social Secretary Desiree Rogers told the group.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • White House
  1. Cheri

It's about time the White House is the peoples house again.Michelle Obama is a wonderful and classy first lady.

February 23, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. J.P.

Make sure Humble Pie is on the menu, complete with a side dish of "Run out of Town on a Rail."

When anger over this "stimulus" bill boils over and gives birth to the next American Revolution, Barry won't be able to eat much else.

February 23, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  3. Griff............... on The Truth...

Chakula!

February 23, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. nclaw441

I am no fan of Obama, but I see no need to attack the first lady. As for fried chcken (and yes, watermelon), I am white and I love them both!!

February 23, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  5. Anna

July

I agree..the President and his family have worked hard and have earned the privilege of living in the White House and all that comes from it.

I feel sorry for some who lost their jobs but most on here are probably working and have a home but just want to gripe.

I don't have fine meals at home but I think our President and First Family are worthy of such. They have earned it!

February 23, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. AndyL

Maybe she can teach nutrition to Oprah!

February 23, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. no corporate politics

Wow the Obama's are just like the rest of us – I think will go down to my personal chef right now and have something whipped up for me all healthy and whatnot.

1984 – the pigs are in the farmhouse folks!

February 23, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. shucks

dimes: at least their not like the Bush daughters out getting drunk while daddies in the white house. But I guess idiots breed idiots. At least the Obamas won't be servind smug.

February 23, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Independent Voter

God Bless Michelle Obama!

February 23, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  10. ray ray

Based on the WIDTH of the first lady – she'd better focus more on salads than high-calorie goodies!

February 23, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. Steph

I just love seeing the haters get all worked up over fresh veggies! Honestly, people, get a life.

February 23, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. Sniffit

You morons complaining about the expenditure do realize what a "state dinner" is don't you? Thought so. Go look it up and come back. Google is your best friend (and the GOP's worst enemy).

February 23, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  13. dh

More people should talk about eating locally and organically. The Obamas should set an example. About the only thing I respected about George W. Bush was his dedication to physical fitness (too bad he wasn't mentally).

It amazes me that her nice gesture is twisted by racists.

February 23, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  14. allwoman

to CMoore–better to have a McRib than to have a McNothing!

February 23, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. Blatherskite

Hey folks, in case you haven't noticed, we have SERIOUS problems with the Nixon legacy of big agri-business monopolies of our food supply. Heard any salmonella stories lately?

Kudos to Michelle for highlighting the importance of buying fresh and buying local.

She is on the right track if you want to revitalize local rural economies, If you want to invigorate small town America, if you want to buy actual food instead of the end product of some industrial chemical process. Revitalize the small family farm, protect your health and support a sustainable environmental proposition by knowing what you are buying and buying it directly from a real farmer.

February 23, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. freespeech101

wow!! we are supposed to be the most liberated country in the world..it is so sad to see how many people still like to spew vile, disgusting race-hate....

and you feel so big and important hiding behing a computer...

ignorance can't be bliss

February 23, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. freespeech101

@cmoore...you are an idiot...the economy has been tanking for a while now, even while your beloved g.w. bush was in office...but of course, everything will be blamed on obama....

gotta love it!!

February 23, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Johnny the Boy

What a stupid story. The Chosen One hasn't been able to halt the slide on Wall Street and the media is worried about the meals this family eats.

What a joke.

All I heard was how Obama the Logo President and Chosen One was gonna hit the floor running and he couldn't even vet out the tax evaders in his proposed cabinet. (Twice)

February 23, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Richie

What's up Doc? February 23rd, 2009 3:57 pm ET

Have you ever eaten a vegetable fresh from the garden in your whole life? If not, I am so sad for you.

February 23, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. Ray Fisher

I can give great reviews for Chesapeake Bay Seafood which I have flown to me overnight here in Albuquerque by the Crab Place in Crisfield, Maryland. I cannot get fresh seafood here in the desert but now I get live blue crabs, shrimp, lobster etc... via Fedex overnight anytime I wish so it is fresh, clean and dependable. The first family should enjoy the fresh seafood in the area and possibly cruise the bay during the summer. It is a joy!!!

February 23, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. Matthew, Detroit

Renee,

Clean up the EBONICS.

Please use real words and stop using garbage.

Michelle looks very nice. I am not a fan of Barack but there is no reason to rip on Michelle. She is a bit of a racist from what I read in her paper but that is par for the course. Until she tries to run something like Hillary did I will give her a break.

February 23, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  22. kayla

YOU GO FIRST LADY. THEY ARE JUST GREEN WITH ENVY. THE REPUGS THAT IS. GET USE TO IT, SHE WILL BE THERE FOR 8 YEARS,

February 23, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. Once You Vote Black

Wow, she is bigger then every one in that kitchen, and look at how long her fingers are.

February 23, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Marjorie Ford

Wolf !
    Earth , Wind , And Fire
    not Earth , Rain , And Fire
    get a grip Wolf.

February 23, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  25. Once You Vote Black

The Irish on this board seems so bitter. Bet you are clinging to you guns too. You guys have 8 more years of this. Pace yourself. Wait until there really is something to grip about. Dont worry, there will be. But when you go bonkers because he is having dinner, or the first lady is making a point, it make your outrage at true slights seem silly. Its like when I say you are racist becaue you look at me funny. Then when you really do something how can anyone tell you actions apart. Dont over use the anger. Pace yourself.

February 23, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |