February 24th, 2009

Borger: The final grade

(CNN) - I'd give the president's performance tonight a solid B: Substantive, not inspirational. Sober, more programs than hope. Lots of promises - details to come.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. john

wrong again Borger,

February 24, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. ines

Solid A+. He just made it look easy.

February 24, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Matthew, Detroit

BARACK IS A STONE FACE LIAR.

He is going to raise taxes.

His new budget appropriations bill comes put next week. 450 Billion and it has thousands of EARMARKS in it.

He just said no earmarks. What a Liar.

He is going to spend more money than has ever been spent.
    He is going to tax more than we have ever been taxed.

February 24, 2009 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. aliou FL

I give him an A+++.
    At last an intelligible speech. Far away from the bush's giberies of the last 8 years.

February 24, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. Matthew, Detroit

LIKE THE OLD SAYING...

The Devil is in the Details...

February 24, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Susan

I grade him with an "A".

February 24, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. joblesscollegegrad

your thoughts are unimportant...Obama gets an A+

February 24, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  8. Ex-Republican for Obama - TX

Are you kidding me???? That was a wonderful way to inspire our country. I wonder what grade you will give Jindal?

February 24, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  9. mike

who cares what grade u give it

February 24, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  10. Proud American

Why didn't the Idiot republicans stay at home if all they were going to do was sleep? Losers.

February 24, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. CARL

PRESIDENT OBAMA what a speech HE is GOOD.
    GOP don't be the party of NO. watch out GOP we have a great president. get on board. Obama will be a great president.

The REPUBLICANS look horrible on t.v. always negative .
    You will keep losing election acting that way.

February 24, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  12. CARL

GO PRESIDENT OBAMA . GREAT SPEECH. YOUR GOOD.

February 24, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Bobby Jindal

OMG!! Is this guy for real??

He sounds like a commercial, a bad infomercial..

February 24, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. Joan , Ontario

I disagree. He gets an A+. If this inspiring speech doesn't bring Americans together and bring confidence then nothing will. He eloquently hit so many markers and did it clearly and intelligently. I actually enjoyed just listening to him speak and how often can you say that about a political speech? I wouldn't want to be Jindal having to respond to that speech especially with the huge PR problems the Republicans have gotten themselves into. Their leaders and the people on the front lines are so disconnected right now. President Obama did your country proud tonight. I hope you all appreciate him because he has the hardest job on the face of the earth.

February 24, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  15. Marie R

I give him a A plus

February 24, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. Bobby Jindal

Bobby Jindal sounds like an infomercial. So fake.

February 24, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. Frost/Tennessee

Jindal... is this the best they have? Like a used car lot seller.. Click

February 24, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. 2010

One word: Brilliant.
    Sorry you were not inspired, Ms. Borger, but I respectfully disagree. President Obama did a great job tonight.

February 24, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  19. Tom in Delaware

My favorite part was when he said the ARRA didn't have a single earmark.

Of course, the fact that it's nothing more than a collection of every liberal earmark that never actually made it into any other bills for the past 20 years needs to be completely overlooked for that statement to be true, but hey, technically he's right.

And if you, the American voter want to belive that BS then be my guest...just don't get all worked up when this whole thing collapses and people like me said "I told you so."

February 24, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  20. mark

Great speech, inspirational yet grounded. Jindall has a tough time rebutting that.

February 24, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  21. G.R.I.T.S - Girl Raised in the South

Wonderful speech regardless of what Gloria Borger says. Now, if we could just get Jindal to talk to us like we're adults. I feel like I'm watching an educational video in grade school.

February 24, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  22. america first

A+A+A++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!!

February 24, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  23. aless

He gets and A+, especially when compared to Governor Jindal

February 24, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. Marin

Just B?
    This was at least A-.

February 24, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. Mari

President Obama's speech though familiar, was brilliant. He called out the best of America! No wonder his approval rating is in the 60+% rate!

Now its up to the GOP........ I ask do they continue their usual obstruction? Or will they join together with the Democrats to pull our Nation back on the path to prosperity?

Sadly.......... the GOP will continue their vile-obstructionist politics, and you know what it will get them? VOTED OUT OF OFFICE!

HOPE WON.......... YES WE CAN AMERICA.......AND YES WE WILL!

February 24, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |