February 24th, 2009

Borger: The final grade

(CNN) - I'd give the president's performance tonight a solid B: Substantive, not inspirational. Sober, more programs than hope. Lots of promises - details to come.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. Put an End to the Republican Reign Over the US

WHY is this Bobby Jindahl guy blowing smoke up peoples butts?
    He makes a FABULOUS Childrens Book reader. Such emphasis in his blithering words.
    Republicans are such hypocrits. Spending was perfectly fine while the CHENEY/Bush administration was spending it.

And another thing......to those who say Obama's the anti-christ.....look at where Jindahls ansetry comes from........Let's call it like it is......Mr. Bobby Jindahl would be MORE of an Anti-Christ than Obama since he DOES come from the Party of EVIL.....REPUBLICAN.

February 24, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  2. Sharon

Well, Gloria I think the American people know more of what is going on than you guys. We understand that the President knows what we are up against and systems are needed because there have not been any in place from previoius government. We already know what the President is going to do while you guys are scratching your heads trying to figure it out. Just open your eyes and look around and you see how the deficit is going to be cut. I just giving you a little hint.

February 24, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  3. michel rubini

Get BOBBY JINDAL off the air! He makes me crazy!!!!!!!

February 24, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Tina

How dare the republican party speak of Hurricane Katrina. The republican party is clueless and the American people are sick of the politics

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. mary,florida

A+++

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. a little sad

I'd give Jindal a c- – overly dramatized platitudes with no facts backing him up.

On the other hand, if he is pro-life, does he believe that life bgins at conception?

If so, does his being a "pre-existing condition" as his mother was pregnant when she arrived in the US, can he be considered qualitifed to run for president? After all, if life bgins at conception, he was born to non-citizens who had not arrived in the US when his life began.

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. redddog

I love President Obama. I hope the United States can offer every willing child/student/person the opportunity to get more than a high school education. I've always wondered why this was never provided. If President Obama told me to jump off a cliff, I would have enough faith in him to do it. My only concern while watching President Obama speak was watching V.P Biden with that frown on his face. To me it didn't show support. for President Obama. If V.P Biden has regrets then get off the stage and let somebody else sit that chair. President Obama sends a message of HOPE, whether he can deliver or not. At least he's trying. I am 57 yrs. old, college educated and retired to due some health issues. Currently I am taking care of my disabled Dad, but I do fully intend to volunteer my services, as President Obama has requested, hopefully at Good Samaritian Hospital of Baltimore Md..

February 24, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  8. jonny

I thought the speech was totally inspirational!! Especially the stuff about education.

February 24, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  9. Dr. Judy

Jindal gets a D.

He is so great, but after Obama, he fell flat.

February 24, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  10. Jindal, The Republican Tool

The Republicans are out of touch with reality. They think that Bobby Jindal is going to save their party. Let me tell you Bobby Jindal is just an idiot trying to play that "I'm the son of an Indian immigrant" bs card. Bobby Jindal is a tool and I'm not a bit impress by him.

Jindal wish he was Obama, Sorry dude, you are not, not even close.

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  11. CJ

Honey where were you! This speech was very inspirational. Promises with no details, were you not listening. I remember vividly when Obama stated he would be making cuts in the budget, much spending on things not needed. This man gives more hope, inspiration, and pride to the American people than they have seen for years. Barack was sensational. Go Barack and Michelle, the world loves you!!!

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jim

Its an A overall: A+ on identifying the needs of the nation; B+ on hoe and inspiration; C on detail but its not wat you expert the president to do on the stage; and A on talking to the american people.

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Cuban-mom

Loved President Obama's speech. Now its up to the GOP, WILL they continue to spew hate, obstruct, criticize or will they join the Democrats and help our Nation to recover?

I notice that on all the TV polls most Americans watched, and gave Obama kudos!

GOP .......don't be on the wrong side of history, it will be your undoing!

February 24, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. Independent voter

A+ for our President, his encouraging message filled with hope and strength! A+!

February 24, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  15. loverboy

obama gets an b+ from me

February 24, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  16. Katherine Wilson

The USA todate do not torture prisoners . . . what are they doing to the non-violent, young, uneducated offenders at Florence, Co locked down for 23 hours without contact. Save money and send them home to serve family and country. Thank you!

February 24, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. Paolo

Obama did a good job at lessening the pessimism.

February 24, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. EC

Despite your solid B grade Gloria, I gave President Obama an A compared to the stiff and oh so boring response Gov. Jindal gave. I was disgusted that Gov. Jindal used Hurricane Katrina as an excuse to lay blame on excess spending!!! When if fact HIS STATE was supported by outside help than from his own Republican President or Party, who did absolutely NOTHING!!!!

February 24, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. Andrea

President Obama has accomplished more in his first month than the Republicans did in the last eight years. He's on the job, and I am loving every moment of it.

February 24, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  20. Harley

Well Obama Says Alot But No Details !!! He Says He Wants To Cut Spending But He Spent More Money Than Any Other Pres. I Don't Understand Pres. Bush Sent Troops To Afghanistan And The Dem. Got Mad He Does It And It's Ok !!!! Oh i Forgot He Is God

February 24, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  21. Darren D.

My President got a "A"! Nite-Nite LA Gov 'J"!

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  22. Joe Fattal

He gets an F until the stimulus proves to be the right bill for eveyone. He makes good speeches, and most people are attracted to that. But sooner or later he has to come out with something beside a speech.

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

WHAT IS JINDAL TALKING ABOUT WHEN HE TALKS ABOUT KATRINA SAYING GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT PLAY A PART WHEN GOVERNMENT PAID $176 MILLION TO LOUISIANA FOR KATRINA RECOVERY. IS HE ANOTHER REPUBLICAN NUT CASE.

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  24. CA Loves Obama

I don't think the forum of tonight's speech was set upf or details – it should have been inspirational and it was.

My grade: A

February 24, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  25. babs from Denver

This was a SOLID A+ speech. Tough, informative, forward looking AND most of all intelligent. How refreshing to have a president that looks, acts and talks presidential.

February 24, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |