February 24th, 2009

Borger: The final grade

(CNN) - I'd give the president's performance tonight a solid B: Substantive, not inspirational. Sober, more programs than hope. Lots of promises - details to come.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. Joe White

The Republicans are basically throwing a temper tantrum. They are responsible for the mess the country is in, the HUGE deficit, and the loss of the White House, and the Senate and House seats. The served under one of the worst Presidents in history. They are fortunate to have retained the seats they have in Congress. They should be ashamed, not attacking a new President.

February 24, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  2. cabmaker 1

Wonderful speech.. Great President..He will make changes in america that will go down in History as the Major turning point is social change beyond anything that most americans could ever believe

February 24, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  3. sherryscoobydoo

I believe he got an A on his speech.

i'm waiting on my legislator's in washington to actually respond to someone like me who doesnt make 250,000 and up.

i hope they help the president to help me and my family instead of themselves.

i have called them all and no response.

i want to see the accountability of the companies and the agencys who do more harm than good and dont care who they hurt or have to account to anyone.

February 24, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  4. Cathy

I give President Obama an A+ on his performance. I think he did an outstanding job and I was definitely inspired.

February 24, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  5. Katherine Wilson

The USA todate do not torture prisoners . . . what are they doing to the non-violent, young, uneducated offenders at Florence, Co maximum security prison. These non-violent offenders are given more than life sentences and left in locked down for 23 hours a day. It is extreme punishment to the family and the individual. Save money and allow time served plus community service. We will have shown mercy to the least of us, living up to the principles we profess as we lay our hands on the bible. Thank you!

February 24, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  6. JT from TN

Yea lots of promises but I want him to com thru on these promises. We can talk all day but action is what we all need. I really wasn't looking to be inspired tonight. I was looking for leadership.

February 24, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  7. stephen

An excellent speech given by Mr. Pres.ident

February 24, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. JUSTICE

WHO ISTHE LOSER THAT GAVE A "B"? THIS WAS AN "A" PERFORMANCE ALL AROUND.

February 24, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. D Collins

Did Borger listen to the same speech the rest of us heard? I think the analysts have been in their seats too long and need a vacation badly. If that did not find that speech inspirational then she must have slept through the speeches of the last 8 years.

February 24, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  10. mel

You are kidding right? Even McCain voters dials were off the charts on the top.....

February 24, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  11. Obama 2.0

Borger is not qualified to grade Obama! What has she ever done to qualify her to grade one of the best president this country has ever seen?

February 24, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. Susan

Not inspirational?? Did you listen to, and watch, the same speech that I did? Your comment serves to reinforce my belief that political analysts are, as a rule, terribly out of touch with the average American.

February 24, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  13. G.U. NEAL

I give the President's speech a B- He spoke with confidence and vigor, that as people working together with the focus on sound solutions and hard work we will recover from our serious problems.

I believe that with prayer and Gods help, we will rise as a nation healthy and stronger!

Austin, Texas

February 24, 2009 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  14. peter

why solid B Borger? why not A+? I saw a determine president who care for this country then any other past president in my life time tonight.

I give the president myself an A+ not solid B.

February 24, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  15. Al, California

Only A+.
    We are rewarded beyond belief for supporting Obama campaign.
    And please invent a mark well below F for the previous president speeches. What it could be? G or H – or better W.

February 24, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  16. marie

I give the President an A,I thought it was very informative,inspirational and very straight forward. I did not like the republican response that followed.I have never seen the opposing party address the country following a Presidential address before.Why was that necessary.The majority of Americans don't care what they think.I think that was very disrespectful and unnecessary.

February 24, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  17. S. Wright

"Substantive, not inspirational."

Really, Ms. Borger?

What substance did you hear? Any details about anything? Any plans?

Substance. I do not think that word means what you think it does.

Substance = detail. That is what the banks, the credit markets, the investment houses, and businesses all over this country care to have divulged to them.

We got nothing, Ms. Borger.

Nothing.

February 24, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  18. Sheri

final grade A, YES WE CAN AND WE WILL RISE AGAIN
    GREAT AND PROSPEROUS NATION WITH A GRADE "A" PRESIDENT

February 24, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  19. Kathy

Wait and see. No change... No action... Just follow the leaders... Pelosi, Frank and Reid.

February 24, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. raagos

i think u doing u job,, becuase u get paid talking on tv. but alot people lost they jobs waiting for any hope

also nobody cares what u think about speech

i love cnn. BUT THIS POLITICAL ANALYST GLORIA BORGER

February 24, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. Tribunus Plebis

Gloria... Please try to get into the moment. This was an historic occasion: Obama, the first African-American president, addressing a Congress still full of mostly white men who are older than he is, and by comparison he's the indisputable energy source in the room, in fact in the nation - a rousing, serious, intelligent, smiling live wire of a man, who's not backing down from his historical moment. A "B"? Please...

February 24, 2009 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  22. Kula

I am wondering why Borger has been undermining Obama right from the primaries to the elections to even now that he is a president. This woman is racist.

February 24, 2009 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  23. joan knapp

President Obama's speech was honest,straight forward talk to the American people. He laid out the challenge we must face and conquer in these difficult times. He was inspirational and told all of us what needs to be done NOW and in the immediate future. He's fantastic!

February 24, 2009 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  24. Wolf-Woman Palin Charlotte, NC

Borger didn't listen to the President's speech. You can't listen when you are constantly running your mouth interrupting everyone.

February 25, 2009 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  25. Hillary B.

I disagree, I found it to be incredibly inspirational. A+ in my book!

February 25, 2009 12:36 am at 12:36 am |