February 24th, 2009

Durbin thinks Burris should resign

Durbin wants Burris to resign.
Durbin wants Burris to resign.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin said Tuesday he suggested to fellow Illinois Sen. Roland Burris that he resign his seat.

“I believe with what he faces, if I was in that position, I would resign,” Durbin said.

Durbin said Burris indicated he will not step down.

Durbin also said he would not support Burris if he runs for the seat in 2010.

UPDATE: When asked if Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid agrees with Durbin, Reid spokesman Jim Manley responded: "That's up to Senator Burris to decide."

Filed under: Roland Burris
  1. Billy J in Texas

Duh!

February 24, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. Sen. Burris

I did not have sexual relations with that brother.

February 24, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. obama-mama

Get outta there Burris before you're impeached too.

February 24, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Spirit of America

When he does resign or is expelled. let us hope that his empty seat will not be defined as one reserved for an African-American. We've had more than enough racism in politics. Let's stop it.

February 24, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. JIM WHITTAKER, Hemet, CA

HA! They're not going to be able to get rid of this pathetic little man
    even with the Jaws of Life!

He's already chipping away on his Ego-Tombstone, that's all he ever
    wanted: "SENATOR ROLAND BURRIS"

Looks like Blago wins after all, he's making fools out of the entire
    U.S. Senate.

February 24, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Burris is Buried In

He hasn't resigned yet? What gives?

Okay, he can put "SENATOR" on his tombstone, just let him pack up and get out of there.

That man has wanted this his whole life and I guess we'll have to pry the Senate keys out of his cold dead hands.

February 24, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. carlo

I second Durbin's emotion. Now I see why Blago picked him. Demented minds think alike.

February 24, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Jon in Ca

Racist!!

Mr Durbin, African American politicians from Chicago are exempt from any accountability. They are to be taken at their word and not questioned by those who disagree or the media!

Didn't you get the memo, Mr Durbin?

February 24, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I and glad that he thinks so. I would imagine many people agree with him like the current governor of IL. I would that Burris would do that on his own. I don't think that Obama really wants to get caught up in this problem.

February 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Mike NC

Why???
    Bill Frist, Jim Craig, Ted Stevens
    Did any of them resign.
    Let the people of Illinois decide.

February 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. See what happens....

you let a lying, sniveling snake like Burris into that private club and you can't get him out. This is now the 3rd Senator who still has his seat but is a total slime ball who should not be making critical decisions for the nation.

February 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. An American

I think the majority of our politicians should resign. Durbin, I bet if someone investigated you we would be calling for your resignation as well. And then there is Obama.

America is in big trouble and Obama just keeps on making speeches and spends big time. Tonight another speech – more gloom and doom – and on to the next months speech and more gloom and doom. He keeps putting the blame on Bush, but time is running out on that – so stay tunned. Then of course there is the pictures of Obama looking all somber and deep in thought! Not thinking much about anything I would bet. I say put the all out and let's start over with real problem solvers and people that do not want to take our money and burden our children fianncially!!

February 24, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Anela Lightfoot

Please do not tell us what we want to hear, rather give the TRUTH....sometimes one has to cut loses, kick a recalcitrant child out of the house, turn in a friend to go to jail when they've done wrong.....it doesnt make it easy, just difficult to do the right thing. You have the power to do the right thing. Let AIG go. We've done well enough without them...what would FDR do? Or Teddy Roosevelt? Kennedy? They got this country through the most trying times we've ever had. IF you have quesations of what needs to be done do these two things: remember Vietnam....what a waste.... and find anyone who lived through the Great Depression...try learning from our past mistakes so at least if we have to make mistakes they will be new. not something that has failed us time and time again already. Titanic "too big to fail"...just remember that, history is something to learn from....

February 24, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. Deborah

When is the DIRT going to be discovered on the Big O?

February 24, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Dayahka

Is Durbin speaking as a US senator, as a member of the Illinois delegation in the senate or both? The Burris matter seems to be both a national and a state issue. If the Senate Ethics Committee is investigating him for perjury, then Durbin seems to be suggesting that that issue has traction. If Durbin is speaking also as a member of the Illinois delegation, then it would appear that Burris also has problems in Illinois. If, on the other hand, Illinois is OK with Burris, then the burden depends on the senate and that may not be settled quickly. Maybe Burris is just being stubborn so he can collect a few pay checks before being carted away. Maybe he really thinks he'll be absolved both in the senate and in Illinois. Is he worth it? Beyond a vote, does he have any legislative experience or expertise that he brings to the job?

February 24, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Marie

President Obama will most likely be the best president this country has ever had. No lies like with BUSH/CHENEY which is really just NIXON II , illegal wiretaps, etc

The best thing Pres. Obama can do is to go thru the voter registration roles and send stimulus checks ONLY to the democrats and just leave the Republiscums to fend for themselves!!!! Do that and he gets my vote again!!!!

February 24, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Other Senators should resign too

How about having Republican Senator David Vitter resign too (for having sex with prostitutes)? Former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer resigned almost immediately after he got caught doing the same thing, but shameless David Vitter is still in the Senate, and is calling on Roland Burris to resign. Sure Roland Burris should resign, along with David Vitter and Larry Craig, the Republican senator from Idaho who was arrested for trying to solicit gay sex in an airport men's room and pled guilty before it became public and then Larry Craig decided to change his mind. So Democratic Illinois Senator Roland Burris should resign if Republican Senators David Vitter and Larry Craig also resign, and we can get rid of all 3 of them. Do we have a deal? I would also include having former Republican Alaska Senator Ted Stevens resign but that corrupt convicted felon narrowly lost re-election in 2008 by a very close margin and is no longer in the Senate, thankfully, although his idiot colleagues gave him a standing ovation last November when he gave his farewell address on the Senate floor. Anyone who participated in the standing ovation for Ted Stevens should resign, since they obviously have mental problems and are unfit to serve in high public office. And how should we fill all these Senate vacancies? Have special elections, like Democratic Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin wants added to the Constitution, an idea I support.

February 24, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. Kwesoe

Me thinks that the Ghost of Blago lives on! Call in the rabbi or priest to exorcise him.

February 24, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. Mike NC

Deborah,
    I will give BUSH a year before he is tried for TREASON

February 24, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  20. No Vaseline

Wow, rethuglican haters out in full force again, aren't they? Right on, Durbin

February 24, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. tfc

I see these right-wing republicans on here criticizing Obama but do they really believe tax cuts would solve the economic mess we're in? I am so glad that Obama and not mentally-challeged McCain and brain-dead Palin are not trying to deal with this economic crisis. We would really be screwed then.

February 24, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Lauren

Now why in gods name would Burris resign?????

He is sitting in his office right now telling himself,,,

a TAX CHEAT is now heading the United States Treasury and the IRS.
    Sooooooo,I am untouchable,,, I AM a Senator for the USA. I can do no wrong.
    I am Black, so that will mean I can yell racism when they target me.
    I am untouchable,,, just like most of the other crooks I stand alongside every day. So what if I offered to raise money,,, we ALL do it, just some hide it better.
    I am untouchable,,,,, """"""

February 24, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Fuzzy Maine Coon & The Sherpa Mr. Mittens

I think Burris needs to do the honorable thing and resign. Too many backroom shady dealings- too much smoke and mirrors!

-Independent voter who voted Democratic.

February 24, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

RESIGN MY YOU KNOW WHAT, BURRIS SHOULD BE IMPEACHED AND CHARGED WITH PURGERY.

February 24, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  25. tfc

I see these right-wing republicans on here criticizing Obama but do they really believe tax cuts would solve the economic mess we're in? I am so glad that Obama and not mentally-challenged McCain and brain-dead Palin are not trying to deal with this economic crisis. We would really be screwed then.

February 24, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |