February 24th, 2009

Clooney presses WH on Darfur

(CNN) – Hollywood A-lister George Clooney said Monday that the Obama administration is planning to appoint an envoy to Darfur.

The Ocean's Eleven star met with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden Monday night to discuss the humanitarian crisis in Sudan. "I urged them to make the tragedy in Darfur one of their top priorities in foreign policy,” Clooney told reporters outside the White House Monday night. "I've asked them to appoint a high-profile, full-time envoy reporting directly to the president."

During the campaign, Obama promised to appoint a special envoy to deal with the Darfur issue and to implement the Comprehensive Peace Agreement, which ended the decades-long civil war between the North and South.

Clooney said Monday that "before they can send an envoy, they have to have a full foreign policy, but they said that they would appoint a full-time, high-level envoy that would report directly to the White House."

"...This is a difficult situation. It's not going to get much better for a long time," he said, but added that President Obama and Vice President Biden had assured him that the situation was "high on their agenda" and will be handled on the senior-most level. "This is important. It's not about government money, and it's not about government troops. It's about involvement, it's about diplomacy," said Clooney.

Clooney recently returned from a trip to the region where he visited refugee camps and toured Sudanese neighborhoods. "I'm not there as a sort-of policy-nut. I was just there to tell him what I saw and hope that there was some way I can amplify anything that they were doing," he said Monday.

Filed under: Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Jim

Just what we need, another wanna be from idiotsville trying to play politics.

February 24, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. Ghost

Wow. I'm so glad you people had this much opposition to ousting Saddam from Iraq. Especially since that was the real reason we were over there to begin with.

BTW, for all those long standing members of the Republican think tank, you guys do know there are different ways for the US to make a stand without having to do much.

But let Israel have as much as a hangnail and the US will spend 50 million on a file and a pair of nail clippers. Or let some hurricane touch down, they'll be money out the wazoo. that is unless that Hurricane touches down in New Orleans.....

My take is that we shouldn't be openly helping anyone. That is what the UN is for. Any moves against, tyrants, dictators, etc should be a global humanitarian effort.

February 24, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Joe

Charity begins at home

February 24, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Rob

To Y February 24th, 2009 2:50 pm ET – My, my, my, you just don't get it do you? The standard procedure for all rich Hollywood types (including musicians), as well as the libs running this country (into the ground) – because fact, Pelosi, Reid, Kerry, etc. are as rich if not richer than the Republicans they bash for being the 'Evil Rich', is to guilt people into giving their money that they've worked hard for, but not be expected to give up any of their precious money. I mean, they worked hard for that 20 million dollar movie deal (or in Kerry's case marry someone who married a rich old coot who shortly after croaked).

Lib modus operandi – Do as I say, but I shouldn't have to do it.

February 24, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. Dutch/Hampton Roads, VA

We can not allow the genocide to continue. If we were'nt so bogged down with the 2 wars that we're in, I think we can play a big role in stabilizing Darfur. There needs to be a NATO force in the region.

February 24, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. American45

We need to take care of our own people before trying to take on people who have no clue about making anything better. We have helped and helped, given and given, until this country is so poor that it is pitiful. Clooney and Obama need to concentrate on their own, not someone else's.

February 24, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Sniffit

@ Deborah

You, ma'am, are incredibly misinformed. You were fully represented on the issue of taxation and (as I'm assuming your errant use of the phrase "no taxation without representation" means you're mad about the stimulus bill) you were fully represented with respect to the passing of the stimulus bill. You see, even when your representative votes "No," it counts as his representation that you vote "No." That you lost does not mean your voice was not heard. It's called democracy...look it up.

February 24, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. single mom

While I don't support much of what Clooney does, politically at least, on this issue I do. I have done extensive research on Darfur – history and the murder the Sudanese government has permitted, encouraged and supported. Clooney is right in saying that diplomacy is the only option available, (along with what economic pressure that can be brought to bear considering China supports Sudan), however I do not think diplomacy will resolve this issue.
    Bush and Powell called it what it was but no one wanted to hear about it – genocide – Arabs versus Africans. But once again, the world has been silent.
    I hope Clooney, Cheadle and their organization can give this situation the attention it deserves.

February 24, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. Sniffit

@ Pat F

Hey genius...Clooney is a UN Peace Envoy, not just some Hollywood airbag. He puts his money and his fame to good use fighting for a worthwhile cause in order to give back to humanity. You jealous you don't have as much to give back as he does or just that you don't have as much as he does?

February 24, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. Ray

Seriously, Americans need to learn about genocide. We are talking about ethnic cleansing here. 4 million people are internally displaced and hundreds of thousands killed! We don't need to send troops, we don't need to send money, just pressure the Sudan government to stop th genocide!

February 24, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. Tom in Delaware

You Libtards slay me...

You decry every little injustice in the world, real or percieved, then bombasticly yell "WARMONGER" whenever action is taken.

Why don't you just ask the Messiah to write them a trillion dollar check of our money.

February 24, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Matthew, Detroit

Thats Right, Lets have GEORGE CLOONEY talk us into another war.

Clinton was not ready to do anything about Rwanda.
    He left our guys to die in Somalia.
    I hardly think it is a good idea for Barack to walk us into Darfur.

I thought these Liberals were all about getting out of wars.

NOW Georgey wants to walk us into Darfur. Maybe they will classify it as they did Irag. A CIVIL war. A TRIBAL war. A FACTIONAL war. Either way I say we stay out.

February 24, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  13. Matthew, Detroit

Clinton walked out on the UN Peacekeepers in Rwanda.
    He got our troops shot up in Somalia and then did not finish the job.

Now we are going to let CLOONEY talk us into a war in Darfur.

I like how some guy mentioned we should put pressure on them. Yeah that works doesnt it.

Everyone called IRAQ a civil war, tribal war, factional war, why would we go into Darfur then. They want to kill each other than let them. As the libs like to say, "we are not the worlds police". TRIBES in African nations have been killing eachother for centuries. These guys are just more organized and to the level of gansters. Similar to the south side of LA.

February 24, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. Jeff

I applaud the Obama administration for addressing this serious ongoing matter. The U.S. can not proclaim to be a leader nation of "the free world" out to "spread democracy" and continue to ignore the genocide still occurring in Darfur (and other areas of Africa). Although our "budget" must address domestic matters, this is an opportunity for the Obama administration to demonstrate the power of compassion and strong, sound diplomacy and leadership – such that the world is moved to collectively take action. Both the Republican and Democratic parties are to blame for not intervening during this humanitarian catastrophe. Jews have said after the holocaust of six million...NEVER AGAIN !...and yet here we are. Have we as a species no sense of decency?

February 24, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Matt, Chico, CA

So it's ok for us to get involved in Darfur but not Iraq?

February 24, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. KLK

I hate celebrities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Jackie

Clooney is an idiot. Sick of the Hollywood types that set bad moral examples, but yet, desperately trying to keep themselves in the spotlight anyway they can.

February 24, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. John in Virginia

George, I understand, but we gotta clean up our own mess at home. It's ok to give, but when you have it. If I couldn't feed my kids, and finally got some money to go to the store to get them something, why in the world would I say, oh sorry, I'm going next door to the Johnson's house to give them the food? It may sound selfish, but rarely to we look around the United States for humanitarian efforts that need to be served right here at home.

February 24, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. arithmetic is liberal

Wow, you sure are paying attention, there, Tom in Delaware.

Us "Libtards" want the following, which your Golden Boy George was uable to provide:

1. Bin Laden's head on a pike.
    2. Action in Darfur to stop genocide.
    3. More troops in Afghanistan
    4. Did I mention Bin Laden's head on a pike?

February 24, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. KayLynn

I'm sick of taking care of everyone but ourselves. We have needy and desperate people here at home.

February 24, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. CF

Clooney is a BOZO!

February 24, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. Morgan, Colorado

Darfur is genocide. Iraq was not genocide or a civil war until we went in and "helped" them out. It's completely worth our efforts to stop a genocide.

Would you people against helping Darfur have also let Hitler keep going with his genocide of Jewish people? I think it's just sick that we would just let genocide happen anywhere.

February 24, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Al

George Clooney. What an idiot to have for a meeting with senior administrators.
    Reality is fiction and fiction is reality.
    When senior government officials seek advice fron 'stars' heaven help us.

February 24, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |