February 24th, 2009

Obama to nominate Locke for Commerce tomorrow

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama will announce former Washington Gov. Gary Locke as his nominee for Commerce Secretary tomorrow, a senior administration official tells CNN.

Filed under: Gary Locke • President Obama
  1. Happy 2009!!

Ed Henry,

It's President Obama not "resident Obama."

February 24, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Mari

In my previous post I said: Great pick! Gary Locke is brilliant!

February 24, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. Jon in WA

Former Asian American Governor.. He was good for WA State and will be good for the country.

February 24, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. No Vaseline

Ok, and? A little more info would be nice

February 24, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. Ian

I find it funny that people think the free market caused this latest crisis, but don't question why we have so many federal departments regulating the market.

Go to the government website and look at all the different departments and you'll see that we haven't had a free market in over one hundred years.

February 24, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. Mel of Alexandria, Virginia

The third time is the charm, so sorry that he was not the first one asked.

February 24, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  7. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Ya notice how NOBODY wants ta be the Commerce Secretary?

Gee, I wonder why that is?

February 24, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. MW in Calif

lan – there may have been federal departments who were suppose to watch over our free market system but the Repugs striped them of their oversite and regulatory authority to prevent the market from doing what it just did and that was to run purely on greed and artificially inflated markets.
    Consider the market as a team of horses, would you just throw away the reins and pray we dont go over a cliff or do you hold them steady and let them run. That is what regulations are for. A totaly free market is a myth, you need rules and regulations to prevent or at least could have prevented the situation we are in now with the housing market.

February 24, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. Sniffit

@ Brian G

Haha...because Commerce Secretary is the booby prize cabinet post.

February 24, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  10. cocosolo in MO.

Get in there Gary and so a good job.

February 24, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  11. Simmy

Number three you're in.

February 24, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  12. Simmy

Mari,
    You're not alone. I think it depends on who is moderating. Some let their person feelings hinder them from doing their job. There are times when I post, and check later and it's been removed.

February 24, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  13. Jon in Ca

Mari pouts, "My comments keep disappearing!"

It's called weeding out the irrelevent. You rant how unchristian those who disagree with Obama – calling them "haters".

I guess when you're in a cult, Mari, you're required to give up independent thoughts, eh?

February 24, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  14. True Conservative

Obama's administration continues to be a jobs program for out of work (read: voted out of office) "name" Democrats!

Resident Obama.....I think I like it.

February 24, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  15. Fay Tx

@Mari February 24th, 2009 5:03 pm ET
    My comments keep disappearing! But the hater-comments are always posted! What's up CNN?.......I have that say Problem !!!
    Griff and TCM Comments always post!!!

February 24, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |