February 24th, 2009

Obama: 'Way forward' in Iraq to be announced soon

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Barack Obama said Tuesday that he'll soon be laying out specifics on how to win the war in Afghanistan and responsibly end the one in Iraq.

"We are now carefully reviewing our policies in both wars, and I will soon announce a way forward in Iraq that leaves Iraq to its people and responsibly ends this war," he told a joint session of Congress.

Meanwhile, he said, both Afghanistan and its border with Pakistan will remain a key focus.

"With our friends and allies, we will forge a new and comprehensive strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan to defeat al Qaeda and combat extremism," Obama said. "Because I will not allow terrorists to plot against the American people from safe havens half a world away."

He said his budget will pay for more soldiers and Marines, increase their pay and improve veterans' benefits.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. Question

McCain where is Osama???? You said during your presidential run that you knew where Osama was and how to catch him. We are waiting!!!!!

February 24, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  2. Penn Voter

Spend and Cut, Spend and Cut, Spend and Cut,..................

February 24, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  3. JC Attoumo

Thank you President Obama...time is difficult now but we will recover...Folks! see how different this speech was, and focused 98% on America and how we can get back onto our feet.
    For the last few years, all we talked about was Irak, Irak and Irak...
    Good luck President Obama! and once again Thank You

February 24, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. frank

Bush left the Iraq war on track...Obama is doing nothing
    and he wants to take credit!
    obama thinks he is still on campaign
    what a mediocre President....just what mediocre voters wanted!

February 24, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

He is dreaming.

February 24, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. CHANGE we need

Another session of great speaking and no substance. Mr Obama could have had the lyrics of a song in front of him...he could charm the best with the lyrics, but there is no context. Again.

This 'state of the union' reminded me of a bunch of men, sitting around a campfire with a bottle of whiskey. "By golly, we will find the solutions to the world's problems...they are in the bottom of this bottle!!" Grand ideas, no way to get there and totally unrealistic.

QUIT CAMPAIGNING!! LEAD!!! And, for goodness sake, medicate Nancy 'the jack in the box' Pelosi!

February 24, 2009 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. aliou FL

Just Get the Troops out. I guess w'll all use the extra savings after the disaster fo bush's wars and drunken sailor spending of no bid contracts to haliburton.

February 24, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  8. SANDRA THE ONE WHO CARES

OH WHAT A NIGHT!!! A GREAT PRESIDENT GAVE A GREAT MESSAGE ..WE ALL NOW MUST DO OUR PART!!!

February 24, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  9. Teresita Rousseau

My father's auto parts manufacturing company has survived for 43 years, one of the first owned African American companies of this kind. After my father's death in 2005, my brother took over and my husband continued to work for the company until now. Now, my brother laid off my husband and the company my father left to my brother is on the brink of collapse due to the serious problems in the auto industry. Never before would I have ever thought this economic crisis would present itself on my family's doorsteps. I pray that Obama's economic plan brings prosperity back to our nation. While some may criticize him, I salute him for at least taking action and not standing by and doing nothing.

February 24, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  10. Felicha, Florida

President Obama,

So very many people are behind you and would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the dayum good job you are doing barely a month in office.

America is paying attention and we are not fooled by all the naysayers
    we want you to suceed and know that our country will be back on track with your leadership.

Love always and forever,

The American Citizens

February 24, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  11. New Yorker

"The way forward" is the way president Bush was going with the advice of our military leaders. Anything else would be folly.

February 24, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  12. Typical White Person

Gee, we sure are hearing a lot of "to be announced soon" from this guy. Didn't he have all the answers back during the primaries and the general election and that's why sheeple voted for him?

No, come to think of it, he didn't have any answers then, either...

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Syndi

President Obama is doing an admirable job trying to pull this country together. It is up to the American people to get on board and help our president move this country forward. We can sit here and continue to point the blame at those insensitive, idiotic, morons Oh excuse me, those republicans, but looking back is not very productive. Every now and then though, it is helpful to just glance back to remember how the last eight years has propelled us into a trillion dollar deficit. The republicans looted our surplus and left a huge nastly mess on the floor. Look down at the floor. NEVER, EVER forget what the republican party did to us. Now all of the sudden, they don't want to agree with President Obama – yet if they had ALL the answers, why didn't they clean the floor when they had a chance to. You Republicans had eight years to sweep and mop the floor. You didn't do it then, so now GET OUT OF THE WAY AND let the Democrats sweep, mop and DISINFECT your mess.

February 24, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  14. Jan Illinois

Keep your promise Mr. President, bring our soldiers home from that hell hole.

February 24, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  15. Cuban-mom

I want us OUT of Iraq........ but we must leave with caution. It wont be easy......... but Obama will have us out!

February 24, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  16. Independent voter

President Obama the best president in my lifetime. I am 50 years old and have never felt the way I do today. I love you President Obama!

February 24, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. Marc and Marcus, GA

Congrats Obama! We hear you and we will survive. Plus tell bobby lindel Gov. His time of Republican reponse is in bad taste. Bobby Lindel sounds like he is trying to promote his next spot to presidency.
    Bobby give more respect and you sound like your on a campaign.
    The campaigning has ended. We already have a president.

Thanks
    Marcs's

February 24, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  18. Bobbo

This is the issue I will hold Obama most responsible for, as a person who proudly voted for him: END THS STUPID, UNNECESSARY WAR NOW, I say.

Of all the issues from the campaign, it'll be my personal barometer on whether my vote went to the right candidate.

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

JINDAL IS A REPUBLICAN JOKER, JUST ANOTHER UNINFORMED PALIN. REPUBLICANS NEED TO NAME THEIR POISON, JENDAL OR PALIN.

February 24, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  20. Judy Maddox

President Obama will bring the United States to the next century – his speech was uplifting, positive, inspiring. He is very down to earth; one every American can relate to.

February 24, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  21. JUSTICE

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  22. JT from TN

Afganistain should've been the key focus to begin with. Go get Al queda!!!

February 24, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  23. DANLEY PIERRE

I DONT HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT MY HOME I AM GOING TO LOOSE

February 24, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  24. JOE KILOZ

BRING,,,,,,,,,,,ALL,,,,,,,,,,TROOPS,,,,,,,,,,,HOME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RIGHT,,,,,,,,,,,NOW

February 24, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |