February 24th, 2009

Poll: Two out of three give Bloomberg thumbs-up

Bloomberg gets a strong approval rating in a new poll.
Bloomberg gets a strong approval rating in a new poll.

(CNN) - He may be struggling to woo the political rank and file, but a new poll suggests that Michael Bloomberg is getting a far warmer reception among his city’s voters: in a Quinnipiac poll released Tuesday, nearly two out of three New Yorkers approve of how Michael Bloomberg is handling his duties as mayor, giving him double-digit leads over two Democratic challengers as he runs for re-election to a third term.

Sixty-five percent of those questioned in the new survey approve of the job Bloomberg's doing as mayor. While that's down 4 points from a Quinnipiac poll conducted last month, it’s still an impressive showing — especially given the current tough economic news, and the grim outlook for New York City's budget.

If the November 2009 mayoral election were held today, the poll indicates that Bloomberg would top New York City Comptroller William Thompson 50 to 33 percent, and would beat Rep. Anthony Weiner 48 to 36 percent.

The Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-Independent has faced resistance from some GOP and Independence Party leaders over his quest to gain their support for his re-election bid. Forty-one percent of the New Yorkers questioned in the new survey say Bloomberg should run for re-election as an Independent, with 19 percent suggesting he should run as a Democrat and 11 percent as a Republican.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted February 17-22, with 984 New York City registered voters questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. cnnnewser

I like Mr. Bloomberg. He has smarts.

February 24, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Bankrupt in USA

I guess New Yorkers have thumbs instead of middle fingers.

February 24, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Zion

Bloomberg, you represent the views of most Americans, not necessarily a Democrat, or a Republican, and definitely not the shakey platform of the so called independents. You will be fine.

February 24, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  4. Bernie Madoff

I wonder where he kept his billions.

February 24, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. no corporate politics

This is exactly what we need more of! Independent politicians that are not beholden to the Sacred DNC or RNC.

After the circus of the general election and the partisan politics surrounding the economics bills and initiatives (thanks RNC and Obama), we need REAL change, starting at the local level.

February 24, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  6. Brian

The man sees how the economy is and knows how to fix it in his city. I applaud him for rejecting the idea of increasing taxes on the "wealthy" as he noted less than 10% of the people in NewYork pay 50% of the taxes. I would hate to be in that city if those 10% moved.

February 24, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. KJ in Dallas, TX

Great news for New York. It is soo important for cities to have mayors who want to help cities become fiscally and socially successful. Even though he's a republican, I think the same can be said for our mayor (Tom Leppert), here in Dallas.

February 24, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. Citizen from NY

I said this Friday, so I will say it again today:

If the values of people's homes are dropping, why aren't our property taxes? I also resent that Bloomie got his nose into what I eat (transfat thing), when and where I can smoke (like bars are now smoke free. I mean why couldn't he offer bar owners to purchase a renewable permit to be a smoking bar, generating money for the City?) and the one thing I probably hated the most….He always cried when it snowed, concerning snow removal: "A million dollars and inch!" Then he didn't want us to shovel snow in the street (where cars and trucks would crush it down), like were we supposed to put the snow in our pockets or the trunks of our cars??? I could go on, but this is all I can think of right now. He may have received the right to run for a third term (presumptious of him, don't you think) but that doesn't guarantee he will get elected a third term, no matter how many millions he wants to throw into his campaign (look what happened to Romney.)

Can we ask BIll Clinton to run for Mayor?

February 24, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. Sniffit

Are they the same people that compain about Chavez in Venezuela? Because I'll tell yah, what Bloomberg did is worse than Chavez trying to get rid of term limits by handing the voters a referendum. Bloomberg just went aroudn the voters and had the City Council do it for him. I guess that's ok in the GOP's mind as long as it's one of their own. The guy represents an erosion of our democracy and people are cheering him? Makes no sense....the popular dictator....load of crap.

February 24, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  10. Moe, NY

Will the real Michael Bloomberg please stand up! Which is it? Republican, Democrat, or Independent? Make up your mind. Please people....term limits...term limits...term limits!

February 24, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. ken

Democrat, turned Republican, turned Independent, what an opportunist. I hope New Yorkers kick this guy out. There's a reason term limits are put into place. They are there so powerful guys like Bloomberg can't buy a political seat for the rest of their lives while they twist and manipulate the population for their own gain. Ask Chavez about that.

February 24, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. Dutch/Hampton Roads, VA

Thumbs down!!! He should not be allowed a 3rd term.

February 24, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. Todd (not the Alaska Separatist)

These days, I'd vote for a piece of cold dog poop before voting Republican, but I voted for Mike Bloomberg for both of his mayoral runs and I'd vote for him again. He's a Republican of a type that was around long, long ago: fiscally responsible, clear-thinking, and socially moderate. The kind of Republican you could support before kleptocratic-right-wing-bible-thumping-anti-science-ignorant-hillbilly lunatics took over the party.

February 24, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  14. Voter

This IS good news, NYC really needs him now!

February 24, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. chelle

It always blows my mind that party politics reaches the municipal level in the States.... I just don't get why it matters in a mayor or council....

February 24, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  16. Richie

Ironic with the article above....Suprise...

February 24, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. Scott the Independent

Actually I would like to see Bloomberg as Governor (Independent) and Cumo as Mayor. I think that combination would benefit the city well.

February 24, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. tlenyc@aol.com

Tell Bloomberg and the MTa not to increase fares....

no3rd term for Bloomo

February 24, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. Big George

Go Michael!!!

February 24, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. sick n tired of CNN moderators

Let's see, first a Democrat, then Republican, and now Independent? Seems to me this guy only wants to be part of whatever team happens to be winning on any given day! Hmmm, Banwagon Bloomberg........Kinda has a nice ring to it!!!!!

February 24, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |