February 24th, 2009

Toobin: Obama's best moment yet

(CNN) - I give him an A. As flat as his inaugural address was, this speech was the opposite - positive, vigorous, and forward-looking. The language was bipartisan, even if many of his proposals were not. His best moment yet as President - except he needs to get a tie which doesn't vibrate on television.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. Alison

I whole heartedly agree

February 24, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. america first

AAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++++++!

February 24, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. Will-South Dakota

Stellar!

February 24, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  4. Louisiana gal..

Why is Bobby Jindal saying the same things that Obama said in his speech, but yet he is against him?

Jindal is so funny to watch. This is his first campaign speech and he sounds so fake. Me and my husband are laughing so hard right now! Jindal's every facial expression looks so rehearsed! This is hilarious.

The man is so desperate.

February 24, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. mark

Seems like Jindall drew the short straw in trying to rebutt this great speech. He may be the Republican party poster child but looks like he peaked too soon.

February 24, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. Andrew

Thank you Toobin. A/ A- is a fair grade.

February 24, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. CJ

This is the best President this country has had in years. He has honor, and he brings back a sense of the American spirit that has been walked on for the past eight years. He is remarkable. Go Barack and Michelle, you have given all of us something to be proud of!

February 24, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. Alicia

I hope ALL elected leaders work for all of us, Americans. I bet the Repubs don't listen considering they use a person of color to counter. Do the Repubs think we are stupid?

Quick Vote
    How do you rate President Obama's address to Congress?
    Thumbs up 70% 2967
    Thumbs down 11% 450
    Didn't watch 19% 818
    Total Votes: 4235

February 24, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. mary,florida

Awesome.

February 24, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. aliou FL

Compare that to Jindal's speech: boring and crying. While I listened my mind kept reminding me of Sarah Palin at her worst with that up and down voice like high schooll kid.

What a shame. I didn't get one iota of what he said. He was talking all the time in an up and down monologue that constrated so much with the expressive and lively delivery of The President.

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  11. Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful

Watching Jindal. OHHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOODDD! I would have loved to hear HIS thoughts in HIS OWN WORDS. Limbaugh notes, RNC lies.

Wow....not ready for '12 or '16 or '20 or....

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  12. ines

A+ for you Toobin – It was an excellent speech.

February 24, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful

Hey Bobby,

While you're serving as the RNC back seat driver, could ya give a fellow American some help?

LOVE,
    KATRINA

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  14. s. kydd

We have listened to 35 days of talk, filled with plenty of rhetoric and cliches. When will we see some action. Then and only then will I let myself hope for change. As it is, its more of the same.

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. Independent voter

I give him an A+ and a huge thank you and God bless our president and God bless our country and her people. I am 50 years old and this MAN is the most amazing president of my time. Governor Jindal must not have watched his hopeful message.

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. Joe Fattal

Again President Obama presented himself very eloquent, articulated his speech very well, without saying anything different that we already knew. It remains to see if the stimulus going to work.

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  17. Rhonda Davis

I was reminded of why I voted for this man tonight.

February 24, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. Mike in NYC

It did nothing for me. It hit all the appropriate "points," but I struggled to maintain interest after 45 minutes or so.

February 24, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. Nonesb

and Holder agrees I am sure

February 24, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  20. Johnny

Shocker, coming from Jeff Toobin. When did you come up with the phrase "best moment yet"? Was it this morning? Was it a few days ago? Maybe it was just before Jindal wrote that speech, also days before the address.

February 24, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  21. Question

it amazes me that every single Republican president has left us in financial ruins. The one president that did well was a democrat.

Reagon did nothing.
    Bush I or 2

Thanks but no thanks.

February 24, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  22. DLM

At last, a thinking President that is taking action to get us out of this collapse. Thank God..

February 24, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  23. Mahesh

Straight A! :)

February 24, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. Andrea

Great Speech Mr. President! If Bobby Gyndhal (sp) is the best the Republicans can come up with, they are in serious trouble in 2012. Good news!...lol.

February 24, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  25. Fred

I couldn't believe the Republicans got out of their chair so many times. As for the rebuttal, canned garbage given with the facial expression of someone on psych medications. No true emotion. It was poor acting. At least he admitted that Republicans abandoned their principles. I think the country needed a speech like that. If the stock market doesn't go up tomorrow, we should shut it down for a month and fire every trader.

February 24, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |