February 24th, 2009

Toobin: Obama's best moment yet

(CNN) - I give him an A. As flat as his inaugural address was, this speech was the opposite - positive, vigorous, and forward-looking. The language was bipartisan, even if many of his proposals were not. His best moment yet as President - except he needs to get a tie which doesn't vibrate on television.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. Little too late????

Jeff...did YOU get the tingle up your leg? When the substance of your critique is 'a tie which doesnt vibrate on television', that probably wasnt a tingle, but full fledged electrical shock. OH, Mr Obama can speak, butt the speech was soulless, party line and far from bipartisan...evidently based on the Jack in the Box next to Mr Biden. This was BO giving Nancy's vindication speech.

February 24, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

WHAT THE YOU KNOW WHAT IS JINDAL TALKING ABOUT. KATRINA WAS PAID FOR WITH TAX PAYERS DOLLARS ($176 MILLION). JINDAL IS AN UNINFORMED FOOL LIKE PALIN.

February 24, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  3. bridgett

A grade
    inspiring and hopeful for americans and this great country. Maybe these parties can work together for the better.

February 24, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. Miriam

We just watched a most incredible President's address and within minutes every station put on the governor of Louisiana. Why would the new stations do that? Why would you immediately put someone on for such a length of time to try to make him wrong? Shame on all of you!

February 24, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  5. DA

IT WAS A GREAT SPEECH!!!
    But, what in the world was Jindal talking about? Why is it that most Republican when speaking to the people, do it in a tone like we are all two year old kids? It kills me hearing them and most of them do it. It's that "see johnny run" tone...ugh!!!

February 24, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  6. Jay Johnson

Clear, concise, positive, and I think honest from our President. I think the Louisiana governor was blowing smoke to cover the negative actions of the Republicans.

February 24, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  7. Amazing!

President Obama A++
    Jindal D- and why oh why would you bring up Katrina – not the Republican's brightest moment!

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  8. Merlin

About that tie, my friend once commented "I wish Barack would quit wearing those Italian ties". How in the world could a person tell the make of a tie just by seeing it on tv? Except for my friend, who is a doyen of men's fashions...

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. Shun

The Presidential address was really good. On the other hand, Gov. Jindal rebuttal was very disrespectful. It was a free presidential campaign ad. He gave his life and forgot about Americans. I guess he forgot that we (Americans) have chosen a president. I wish the Republicans, GOP, and whoever else will wake up, grow up, and shut up. Stop fighting and let's come up with solutions to help out America. Please stop using Gov. Jindal as your puppet to get back in the oval office, you just completed 8 years.

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  10. Karen Miller-Tunnell

Barack Obama gives me hope for this country and for this world. He offrers a voice of sanity, reason, and vision. I pray the nay-sayers - the fearful, dead-hearted men and women in Congress and in our country - will wake up and realize this is a voice for change that will indeed save us from the very fears they carry.

February 24, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  11. bmkwilson

Perfect speech! He exceeded my expectations. Jindal's speech was very, very strange.

February 24, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. Ed

Awesome speech! Thank you for having that young Marine in the audience Mr. President!

February 24, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  13. Kaywood Hopkins - indieTV.tv

Bobby Jindal sounded like he was talking to children.

February 24, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  14. chris wilkins

I would give him a high grade.A good hopeful speech.He needed to sound hopeful, but most people like myself know what is really going to happen and that it is going to take a little while to get fixed. But he talked directly to the people (mainstreet),and sounded hopeful to surrounding countries.

February 24, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. Kijana

Absolutely elated with President Obama's speech. I lost count (literally) on the number of standing ovations.
    The part that really resonatged with me, was when he spoke as a Dad and not as the President, when he addressed parents to take an active role in their children's education

February 24, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  16. Obama 2.0

Jindal Bells
    Jindall Bells
    Jindal votes no way
    Oh how sad it is to see
    the GOP's disarayay

February 24, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  17. JT from TN

Come on Mr toobin quit nick picking, his tie is the least we need to be concern wth. Fixing the economy and getting folks back to work thats more important, If wanna judge his fashion join vogue or some magazine.

February 24, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  18. Obama - NOPE

Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z

February 24, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  19. Proud American

I felt very encouraged by our presidents speech. Thank You Mr. President for the first time in many years I have hope.

February 24, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  20. Ike

Great speech.

February 24, 2009 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  21. Bettina

I seem to have heard much of this speech before. So I did not hear enough new stuff, except for more encouragement about the future of our country.

February 24, 2009 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  22. Darren D.

Jeff, I say THANK YOU!

February 24, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  23. Ben

Thanx Toobin. I always know you are a good man!

February 24, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  24. D Collins

I am so proud of this President. To once again have a leader who is thoughtful, communicative and holds a vision of what America can mean to its people and the world is truly wonderful. I hope we can all put aside our personal goals and work toward those that will allow all Americans to support their families and build the types of communities our children need and deserve.

A fantastic job...yet again!

February 24, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  25. Jim Mckeen

That’s great, Republicans commenting on the president, yes your president Obama.
    Have some respect to your president, and by the way get some education along the way.
    Republican need to learn to be open minded a little, I am sure change is good sometime.
    CHANGE!! Stop spreading lies.

February 24, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |