February 24th, 2009

Toobin: Obama's best moment yet

(CNN) - I give him an A. As flat as his inaugural address was, this speech was the opposite - positive, vigorous, and forward-looking. The language was bipartisan, even if many of his proposals were not. His best moment yet as President - except he needs to get a tie which doesn't vibrate on television.

Filed under: Obama address
  1. Sandra White

President Obama is a leader and he showed it tonight. He has a vision that is able to share with all. He is focused and he is driven to led us out of this financial downfall.
    The Republican response from the Governor was sad, he is being used by the Republicans, would he have been chosen if the President had been white? I don't think so. Republicans this is not the time to play the race card.

February 24, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. kaycal

Obama is a great speaker! I just hope that he will be able to accomplish the things he talked about. i truly think that he is trying to reaching out to the black communitiy to help them to change their struggle to over come their negativities.

February 24, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. EVOLVE

OBAMA GAVE AN EXCELLENT SPEECH. A TRUE SIGN OF A GENERATIONAL LEADER.

NOW IT IS TIME FOR THE RIGHT WING REPUBLICANS TO SUPPORT THEIR COUNTRY AND NOT THE PARTY. AMERICA IS IN CRISIS AND PARTISONSHIP NEEDS TO STOP!

A POLL RECENTLY SHOWED THAT 80% OF THE PEOPLE INDICATED THE REPUBLICANS NEED TO MORE BIPARTISON.

STEP UP REPBLICANS LIKE WE DID FOR BUSH IN THE 911 CRISIS.

February 24, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. pat

The speech was just another campaign speech. There were some great things in it-parental responsibility with education...

but the gazillions of dollars given by our present Congress to the banking/housing industry without strings/supervision and the gazillions in the recovery act with all its pork...

and this committee and that committee...how much are these folks being paid for their participation?

government is spending too much; Congress needs to take a pay cut, retirement should be from Social Security and health care should be from traditional providers that the rest of America uses...not specially chosen providers just for government workers.

health care does not need more regulation by government...we do not need government telling us what an appropriate length of stay is and when a test can be performed if it can be performed at all

do I have confidence in America...absolutely

do I have confidence that Congress is acting in the best interest of the citizens of the United States? Absolutely not...most members of Congress are self-absorbed, media hungry and pork laden people who have been there too long to know what the people back home really want and need.

February 24, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. renee

jeffrey..jeffrey...the country is crumbling...is it really worth making a comment about a tie?

February 24, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  6. sherryscoobydoo

i believe he got an A also.

i am more interested to see what congress does with the information and whether they will think of others less rich than they are.

i know mine havent. they cant even talk to regular oklahoma's who make less than they do. i know ive called and only gotten to staffers.

i realize they are busy and they are not of the same party as the president or me but come on. pick up the phone and see what the real world is about.

i know one of mine was in some other country when i cant afford a vacation. i certainly wasnt worth a phone call and asked to go. oh thats right i only ake 7.00 and hr. forgot for a moment.

oh well ill wait for the check in the mail and the having to pay it back next year with my taxes . i could not believe they counted the stimulus checks against us.

February 24, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  7. Rodney

Congrats to President Obama, You are doing a great job, especially with the tools you were handed when you became president. Keep striving foward and don't let no one or nothing stop you from doing your job as our president. And too those who are against him, give him a chance to do his job, let him prove himself (good or bad) just like we have done every president we have elected before him.

February 24, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  8. Carolyn Johnson

The most impressive part of Obama's speech tonight was that the
    government will be held accountable and all recipents of the stimulus
    will be help accountable. That is absolutely wonderful!!!

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  9. Ohio for Obama- Suburbs

I believe in this President is all I have to say. What the heck was Republicans Jindal talking about??

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  10. David Newport, OR

solid B+...maybe an A-

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  11. P. D.

Jindal dropped the ball. Barack, we are counting on you.

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  12. Penn Voter

You think this was riveting, Wait till 2012 and you hear him attempt to explain how all of this wasteful spending was not his fault but his opponent's.

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  13. Jack

I would give him an A too. Jindal only made Obama look even better.

February 24, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  14. OMFG!

Yes,that was the Obama I heard on the campaign!
    Bobby Jindal, you (to use a republicant jock euphamism) sounded retarded (no offense to the disabled). Dude, you suck, if you are the future of the repukelicants we have an easy 16 years of power! You were as bad as Bush at his worst! Frankly, i nor my family believed a word you had to say up regarding your immigrant family, as much as the pukes thought obama was not a REAL US Citizen!
    Sorry, back to the Bama speech, IT ROCKED! AWESOME!

February 24, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  15. latangy

Obama did real good to night on his speech, And we the America people are behind you and support you to the end.

February 24, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  16. Wayne

After the President comes out and says a speech that spoke to the American people you have Bobby the Republican coming out to waive his republican flag and say we are here. He doesn't get it we do not care. Everyone is focused on one thing only and that is there future and at the moment the american public is riding on the President's coat tails. Someone tell Bobby it is to early to run for 2012.

February 24, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  17. Chris Mulbah

The speech got an A, but we are still waiting for the final score of the first 100 days.

February 24, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  18. Felicha, Florida

LOL I agree Toobin

February 24, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. Nick

Good grade. Now Jindal can bite sand!

February 24, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  20. Monie

Excellent job! Very informative, very thorough and simply Obama! Of course, the Republicans will say otherwise, but they can't help it! Morons! Anyway, Obama has such a tough job on his hands and is doing everything in his power to make this right. He hit on everything we needed to hear tonight and he said it well. A lot of the secretaries and other staff at my old law firm have been laid off in the past few months, so this economy situation has certainly hit home. These were not spring chickens that were laid off either. These women and men had been with the company for many years and planned to retire there and just like that, they're out of a job. This is a scary situation when you're in the 45+ age range and this is your only income or you and your spouse or whoever depend greatly on this income. My situation is pretty good. I was even able to go back to school, but the future is uncertain, but now after hearing Mr. President, very promising. I think jobs will be plentiful just in time for my graduation from the school I'm attending. Obama really made me and many of my friends feel better with his speech tonight. He spoke in lament terms and was very candid. I have every confidence that Mr. President can handle this catastrophe the Republicans have left us and he'll do it well. Some many people have just stopped spending money and also think this is something that has to change. I've started shopping again, not that I've stopped, but I did slow tremendously down. I'm trying to pick it up again to try and do my part. And I totally wish my husband could read this because he'd get a good laugh, but anyway, no matter how you look at it, I'm doing my part. GO OBAMA – I GOTCHA BACK!!!!

February 24, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. Educated Democratic Registered Voter

I am soooooooo excited about the prosperity for our country that (despite the nay-sayers) is on the horizon, thanks in part, to our new President.

February 24, 2009 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  22. Educated Democratic Registered Voter

February 24, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  23. Rob in Detroit Mi.

Does anyone think that Bobby Jihndal can compete against President Obama.?

February 24, 2009 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  24. KLM

He could've been up there in a bathrobe and I wouldn't care. It was AWESOME.....He inspires me to do more and be a better person.

February 24, 2009 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  25. Ricky

Wonderful President, Wonderful Speech – He Has A Plan For The U.S.A.! – The GOP has neither a clue nor a plan – Just More Of The Same...

February 24, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |