February 24th, 2009

White House releases excerpt of tonight's address to Congress

WASHINGTON (CNN) –– The White House released an excerpt this afternoon of the speech President Obama will deliver to a joint session of Congress this evening:

"But while our economy may be weakened and our confidence shaken; though we are living through difficult and uncertain times, tonight I want every American to know this: We will rebuild, we will recover, and the United States of America will emerge stronger than before.

"The weight of this crisis will not determine the destiny of this nation. The answers to our problems don’t lie beyond our reach. They exist in our laboratories and universities; in our fields and our factories; in the imaginations of our entrepreneurs and the pride of the hardest-working people on Earth. Those qualities that have made America the greatest force of progress and prosperity in human history we still possess in ample measure. What is required now is for this country to pull together, confront boldly the challenges we face, and take responsibility for our future once more."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Kim

We had to endure the wrath of your precious "W" for 8 very long years, give Obama a break. What a bunch of sore losers you Republicans are! And so pessimistic.

February 24, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. Lush Limprick is the real RNC chairman!

connect the dots@

Skull and Crossbones is a Yale society.

President Obama went to Harvard

And you nincompoops wonder why no one takes dittohead's talking points seriously.

February 24, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. Biased

I will be listening to hear if this is more of a Presidential speech or whether it sounds as if he is still running for office. Until he comes out with more detail, which his aides say he won't be – and lets those who are in trouble or uncertain about what is going to happen next, he can offer hope all he wants but the devil is in the details and until people know them- the uncertainty will never go away because they don't know what wil happen next.

February 24, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. worriedmom

Gonna be another um, um, um speech. stop talking around the subject and give us details!!!! Getting really tired of this. Thought the "One" was suppose to resolve all the issues and CHANGE, what happen to that?????? It is Change allright but not what you thought it was gonna be, even the LIbs beloved Bill Ayers, stated that Obama looks like he will go down because of Afghanastan!

February 24, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. C.S.A republicans

Who wants a free vacation to Alabama,Kentucky or South Carolina?Didnt think so.they should just close their travel Agencies.But they sure love foreign carmakers that bust unions and give great payoffs for the republicans.

February 24, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  6. Stan in VA

@Paul, Riverside CA February 24th, 2009 5:29 pm ET

"I watch in joy every time our President speaks"

Ha ha. Do you get a thrill up your leg?

February 24, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  7. Oregon

I can't wait to watch Obama's speech. But I know what the Repugs wil say, so I'll turn the channel after that.

The Repugs are showing us what they're made of – all NO WAY and no answers. They can't get rich off Obama's plan. They can't give money and contracts to their cronyies. Boo hoo! It's so funny watching them implode.

I'll vote for Obama again and again – primary, general, he'll win again hands down (especially with the clowns the GOP circus has to offer!)

HAHA!!!

February 24, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  8. Oregon

ray ray typical repug. No solutions, only insults. So immature and so typical.

HAHA! you DO >/b>wish you had someone like Obama – just with white skin.

Obama wants transparency in government – we see right through you Repugs.

February 24, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  9. MZ

Mr. President,
    I'd like to take responsiblity for our nations future. But first, I need to hold a " Responsibility Summit " !!!!!!

February 24, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. S Callahan

No room in the inn at Jindal comment:
    I sure hope Jindal and Repubs read some of the comments out there and realize they will committ suicide should they come off as negative tonight....my advice....give solutions not condemation....people have had negative from their toes to the tip of their hair and just don't want to hear it anymore.....it will go against you if you keep putting out the negative.

February 24, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  11. cnnnewser

Does anybody care what the republicans think?
    They have lost all credibility and are doomed.
    I find them laughable.
    Too bad these people were voted into office – I guess you get what you vote for. LOL

February 24, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  12. cnnnewser

I'll be tuned in!!

February 24, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  13. Susan in NC

"I've instructed my members, when the camera cuts to you, look like someone pissed in your corn flakes," said Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY.)

Seems the Republican members of Congress have been busy today taking lessons and practicing their grumpy expressions to "wear" for the TV cameras during President Obama's speech tonight. Can the quote above and their theatrics really be true? If so, it's disgusting, petty, childish, and irresponsible of them to "plan" such a "show" - who do they think they're fooling? It truly seems that the Republican Party has become "The Party of NO" with ZERO credibility!

February 24, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  14. Tracey, OH

Sounds good, this is my president and the man I voted for. What a wonderful world.

Obama 2012

February 24, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  15. Ryan, CA

@ William A Schaedler

You wouldn't know a true person of character if they came up and bit you on the rear. There's hope for our country with Obama, but unfortunately, no hope for you.

Go take your meds and leave decent people alone.

February 24, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  16. Ms CLEO

@mike February 24th, 2009 6:06 pm ET
    Hey BO:What would Reagan do? I'II call him...You BETCHA!!!
    @ JJ February 24th, 2009 5:58 pm ET
    I'm also getting tired of yet another campaign speach…..Don't LISTEN!!!

February 24, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  17. OMFG!

I feel the need to comment on this article because CNN closed the thread of jindal critizing the President's address! Jindal is a 37 year old idiot! Obama has been President for under 1 month, and the old farts from the GOP have "lost trust..." W.T.....F!?!@? The GAP hasn't given the new black guy (oohhh, I said that, oooohhh) even 1 month and they have LOST TRUST in the President, I...D...I...O...T...S...!!!!

Dear Gray Old Perverts,
    You idiots lost, because you fools are OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE REST OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE REST OF THE WORLD!
    You have to get a guy like Bobby (I wanna be a white guy) Jindal disagreeing with a popular president. I hope NONE of you fools get re-elected in 2010 going forward! The MAJORITY of the WORLD AND I WOULD FEEL SAFER IF NONE OF YOU JERKS WAS IN POWER!
    You Betcha!

February 24, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  18. jae

Thank you Mr. President, Sir for all you have accomplished in 30 days......more than Bush and the Repugs have done in 8 years.

God Bless you, and God shine his light on the United States, the greatest country in the world. WE WILL SURVIVE...and be better than ever.

February 24, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  19. Gary

THIS IS A BIG TALK AND NO ACTION. HE WANTS TO PLEASE EVERYBODY. IMAGINE HE IS SO CHEAP TO HAVE LUNCH WITH THE PRESSMEN. HE DOES NOT HAVE PRESIDENTIAL PERSONALITY. HE THINKS THAT HE IS IN CHICAGO AND HE CAN DO ANYTHING HE WANTS. CHEAP STUFF.

February 24, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. neil

Dem or GOP, no difference, just us taxpayers bent over the pork barrel while special interest groups laugh at us

February 24, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  21. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

To Ryan,CA. I will place you in the same category as those educationally lacking fools who seem to be unable to speak or even spell complete words. I refer to them as the abreviates. The ones who always have half of a word still lodged in their throats. And whether you agree or not B.O. offers one thing and one thing only-a lot of bull defecation. I would have used the generally accepted word but then I too would have become an abreviate. And I know that the moderator for this site would not have approved of its appearance.

February 24, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  22. Simmy

Shine, Shine, Shine.

February 24, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  23. DEWAYNE

pelosi is a bluming idiat ....!!!!!!

February 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. mshorty

Yo, Willy S. from St. Louis... yo spellin' is smellin'... it's 'abbreviate', not 'abreviate'. You gonna eat your own words?

February 24, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |