February 25th, 2009

In GOP response, Jindal calls stimulus 'irresponsible'

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal gives the GOP response to President Obama's address Tuesday.

(CNN) - Tapped by the Republican party to deliver the GOP's response to President Barack Obama's congressional address Tuesday night, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal took on the massive stimulus package and big government - and pledged that his party would regain the nation's trust.

Watch: Jindal responds to Obama

"In the end, it comes down to an honest and fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government," Jindal said. "We oppose the national Democratic view that says the way to strengthen our country is to increase dependence on government. We believe the way to strengthen our country is to restrain spending in Washington, to empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and create jobs.

"In recent years, these distinctions in philosophy became less clear - our party got away from its principles. Tonight, on behalf of our leaders in Congress and my fellow Republican governors, I say this: Our party is determined to regain your trust," Jindal said.

Full story

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Obama address
  1. AVEE capitalcityVA

HERE'S A SUGGESTION FOR BOTH DEMS AND PUBS. BE REAL WHEN YOU GIVE A RESPONSE. TAKE NOTES DURING THE SPEECH AND READ FROM THOSE NOTES WHEN GIVING YOUR RESPONSE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

AT LEAST WE WILL KNOW: 1. THEY ARE YOU OWN THOUGHTS AND NOT TALKING POINTS.

2. YOU TOOK TIME TO LISTEN AND THEREFORE ABLE TO DISCUSS TOPICS THAT EFFECT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

FINALLY: SINCERETY COMES ACROSS A LOT BETTER WHEN IT IS NOT PRE-SCIPTED.

February 25, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. Once You Vote Black: Bobby, Sarah, and Rush, oh my!

Yesterday was a time to pull them out and show them. Jindal came up short.

February 25, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  3. RSB

I can't believe that the RNC can't find someone better to represent them. I was disappointed that with all to choose from all they could find was McCain and then of all the women to choose from in that party they came up with Palin. Now this? Do they really want us to take them seriously?

February 25, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. Snake eyes

HA HA HA THIS GUY TOTALLY BLEW IT LAST NIGHT!!! NOW THAT THE GOP HAVE COLLECTIVELY SHOT THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT, MAYBE THEIR FOLLOWERS WILL FINALLY SEE THEY ARE JUST A BUNCH OF BLOWHARDS WITH NO REAL IDEAS

February 25, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  5. marc from MS

Not a single positive remark about the governor. I think his remarks were right on the mark and truthful. Very different from the president. This must have you democ(rats) really scared. CNN, do you think you can post this, or is it too contrary to your liberal politics?

February 25, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. Love Huckabee

This guy is an idiot. I think he's the reason Republicans go over the rich and dumb. The rich like low taxes, and the dumb don't know they are paying too many.

What a loon!

February 25, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Sue M

Personality has something to do with getting the people to like you.......this man has NO Personality........he came off like a LIMP NOODLE and this is suppose to be the Republicans rising STAR.......well Obama can rest easy and will have 8 years in the White House........it was almost as painful to watch him and it is to watch Sarah Palin give a speech.........

February 25, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. Patricia in Las Vegas

If the Republicans had their way we would be a nation deprived of all culture, arts, music. From the beginning of time the arts were an integral part of life. Cannot imagine a life with out this very important part. And don't get me started on science!!! Why don't we just go back to the dark ages?

February 25, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. Raj, Boston

Cathy: I was rolling on the floor laughing when I read your comment. He DID sound like a story teller last night. I was emailing my friends that he sounded like he was going to talk of Barnie the dinosaur! I hope they nominate him to run against the president in 2012

February 25, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  10. Jim in Bisbee

I think George W. Bush's stimulus plan was the irresponsible plan. He gave everyone money so they could basically go to Walmart and buy merchandise made in China. I would bet that Obama's plan, dollar for dollar, will have a much better effect on the economy because it is targeted at making jobs here at home.

I wish someone would start a contest inviting Republicans to explain what was wrong with the Bush White House. Kind of like an essay contest. For eight years our elected Republican leaders where the primary cheerleaders for his failed policies. Where are the mea culpas?

I'll never vote for a Republican.

February 25, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  11. Frank,FL

what happened to { COUNRTY FIRST} that was all about ME FISRT,, i cant believe they let that poor man speak,,,,it really sounded like he did not hear the presidents speech,,,,,,,,, the republicans are sore losers , and the only way theyll make news is if they oppose everything obama wants to do,,,,,why cant we all just admit that,,,,,

February 25, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. S Callahan

It's wasn't his message that was annoying....it was his 'stary' eyes....they had no real movement...almost like fear was in them...
    I don't think he was himself, nor was this speech is speech.
    I also fault him if he refuses the simulus...God knows his State needs a helping hand (state consists of it's citizens).
    I'm not disappointed..but if the GOP wants him to shine they need to let hiim do it his way......cause this way won't do it.

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. xcusme

So this is their new talking head. He did not make a lot of sense to me. Also, why did the GOP use an outsider (someone not inside the beltway) to speak for them? Maybe because the insiders are part of the reason for this mess. Jingles does not want the unemployment part of the package but wants the rest. Sure, you will be in office a long time :-)

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Thomas

Happy Mardi Gras !

Seven people – including a baby – have been hurt after a shooting incident at the New Orleans Mardi Gras in the US.

Please Gov. Bobby Jindal , don't speak to me as if your a fiscal conservative Mr. Rogers ! Before you tell the country what needs to be done. Why don't you put your own house in order !
    Also find a new tie, your not a barber !

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Jim in Bisbee

Bush's 150 Billion dollar gift to Chinese manufacturing was irresponsible.

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. Beth

Come on, people. Be a little fair to Jindal. The content of his speech was great. But he had to follow the grand master of oratory speech. He didn't have a chance. I liked what he said, though! I still think he's a great governor. And he's not the root of all evil, as you Democrats think he is. Once there is a little opposition to Dems, you people just do your best to drag someone's name through the mud with personal attacks and such. It's no wonder that more logical, intelligent people will not run for office. Who wants to be slandered like this? Not me!

February 25, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. Charles

I am looking forward in voting for Mr. Jindal sometime in the future. His speech humanized him and it is the first time that we are seeing a "South East Asian" come to the center stage. Although raised a yellow dog, I am very proud of the GOP in that they are giving a voice to an up and coming group of people–Indians–who will become ever more significant for this country considering the rise of India.

February 25, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. HDA

Was it Bobby or Booby Jindal who delivered last night's response?

This was a sad, sad night for the GOP and their up and coming star.

February 25, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. American

What?????... Stimulus Plan irresponsible. I call your critique irresponsible. No wonder GOP keeps going down and starts becoming only a regional party.

February 25, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. jenkins

Does he have a nervous tick?

February 25, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. AFAM

i came to the jindal response with an open mind and high hopes.after a few minutes i changed the channel. i cant believe im going to say this but sarah palin sounds better.what a joke.jindal do yourself and the american people a favor and not waste your time in runing for president. you would be lucky to win a state. even if you win a couple of states is because of people that dont like sarah palin.

February 25, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. Mia and Mike

From what I knew about Gov. Jindal, he seemed to be a very promising politician with a bright future. But after that speech, I really don't think so...

February 25, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  23. Marcus

I like how he talks about the irresponsibility of the Democratic party, but then pledges to "regain the nation's trust again." Hmmm...I wonder why the nation lost trust in the Republican party in the first place. Maybe it was because the Republican party has been irresponsible for the past 8 years?

Also notice whenever Bobby talks about the Democrats creating a bigger government, he reminds us of the failures that the government has had (like Katrina). It's funny that all of these failures were from governments run by a Republican administration.

February 25, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. Dudgie

Just because he isn't a natural at giving speeches doesn't mean he isn't smart. He did have something of substance to say. Don't underestimate him. I voted for Obama, but with tough, unpopular decisions to be made in the next few years he may not be so popular next election. Someone like Jindal may give him a run for his money even if he isn't a particularly good speaker. And that's a cosmetic thing that can be changed with coaching.

February 25, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. Heather in Seattle

Bobby, the idea is not to grow government, but to help us get out of the economic mess that we are in. Why is it that many republicans have no problem spending hundreds of billions of dollars on a war in Iraq, but balk at the idea of trying to save our own country. And come on quit using the excuse that we cannot put this debt on our children. I think that the future of the US would prefer to still have a well functioning country with a debt then a country that has turned into the third world because some of its stubborn leaders could not humble down and accept help!!!

Also Bobby, your state has had one of the most economic hardships. Quit trying to impress your conservative friends and do what is best for the people that need help in your state!!!!

February 25, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |