February 25th, 2009

In GOP response, Jindal calls stimulus 'irresponsible'

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal gives the GOP response to President Obama's address Tuesday.

(CNN) - Tapped by the Republican party to deliver the GOP's response to President Barack Obama's congressional address Tuesday night, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal took on the massive stimulus package and big government - and pledged that his party would regain the nation's trust.

Watch: Jindal responds to Obama

"In the end, it comes down to an honest and fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government," Jindal said. "We oppose the national Democratic view that says the way to strengthen our country is to increase dependence on government. We believe the way to strengthen our country is to restrain spending in Washington, to empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and create jobs.

"In recent years, these distinctions in philosophy became less clear - our party got away from its principles. Tonight, on behalf of our leaders in Congress and my fellow Republican governors, I say this: Our party is determined to regain your trust," Jindal said.

Full story

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Obama address
  1. oknfl

Don in MN... completely agree.. felt like I was back in Mr Rogers neighborhood.

February 25, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. arithmetic is liberal

It's not so much the pooh-poohing comments from the left on this blog about him.

What I'm paying attention to here is that there is a deafening conservative silence about him, here.

Not a single member of the usual conservative suspects on these boards is supporting Jindal.

I wonder why that could be? Is it because his complexion is less than milky white? Or that he is the son of foreigners?

Dave had a great comment about Jindal, but I'm not seeing anything from Jon in CA, Mike in Syracuse, Obama Victim, Deborah, or anyone else.

You boys out there?

February 25, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. Splurge

Rod, I'm not a republican, I voted for Obama, you mispelled hypocrite. Typical Obamafanatic; anyone who doesn't fully agree and support your idol must be the enemy. Kinda reminds me of the Bush years, ironically, which I guess means you learned nothing from them. Thanks for helping me prove my point about Obamafans.

February 25, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. JJ

I hope Jindal will take a lesson from Sarah Palin. Whoever wrote the speech for Palin wrote the speech for Jinda. This is pathetic to have a governor come out and read a teleprompt and never take his eyes off the screen or barely blinked an eye. People the Republican are desperate now and this proved it last night. Jindal my request for you is to try to stay away from the old men in the senate and be creative in your own speech and get some materials that was not express before yours.

February 25, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. badger

Sorry to say that his rebuttal was far from convincing. Why doesn't he and the Repug's understand that if the fed's spend 300 million on new cars, that will create or save some jobs. Of course they should be American cars. Not the ones made in Georgia or Kentucky. I also feel sorry for the unemployed in La. and S.C. that can't find a job, when their benefit runs out.

February 25, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. RZA

If Jindal, Steele and Palin are the "new faces" of the republican party, then I feel sorry for the GOP

It's almost too painful to watch...

...almost

February 25, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. Jackie

This guy is a nut. I was not impressed with him at all.

February 25, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. cheryl brooks from cali

Yea Yea Yea..... The old way humbug!!! Everyday I hardly see american workers... the bus is filled with Mexicans!!!!!!!! Where are our people!!!! It's a shame we can't empl;oy our people, i bet if you were in another country, they wouldn't hire you before they hired their own people. Outsourcing our jobs inside and outside the country is over with. Just say no to Bobby Jindall, once again the Repukes have put some innocent victim out there to do their dirty work!!!!! No Bobby you won't be President!!!!!

February 25, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. tim

The Republican version of Obama... except he talks like he's a kindergarten teacher reading a book to his kids.

Volcano Monitoring.... are you going to complain about that? What about the millions upon millions you recieved for Katrina that I know didn't go to victims.

February 25, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. suz

If Jindal is the best the GOP can do than forget about 2012. Jindal came off as negative and referred back to the same old regurtitated message that the Republican party has been bantering about for ....YEARS.

Regarding Louisiana I would think considering the challenges faced by the people after Katrina that Jindal woudl be more like Crist and accept the money for the people, rather than stick to his ideoligic themes.

Remember you are a Public Servant.....

February 25, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. CHANGE.COM

You are toast, Jindall. The facts do not support your speech, which was full of misrepresentation and outright lies. If tax cuts to the wealthy would create jobs, we would never be in this recession at all! You think we are dumb? What a terrible national debut.

February 25, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. Monika

He sounded like a school teacher trying to explain something to children. if i was a republican, i would be insulted. Republicans just need to step back, shut up and recognize the fact that most of the country does not trust them, does not believe them and think they are only out for themselves and the filthy rich. They are trying to dumb down their language and sprinkle it with religion to trap small minded, uneducated americans. it's a sad sad party.

February 25, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. No Hillary = No Obama

WHile CNN and it's talking heads keep fawning over Obama and his speeches, the unemployment rates go higher, foreclosures continue and there has been absolutely no change since Mr. Change has taken office. If Obama plans to turn his performances into pep rallies and endless speeches, the Republicans better get their acts together – we need to hear more from John McCain.

February 25, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. Streamwood Bill

While Jindal's speech was far better than the time-worn Republican boilerplate we get from John Boehner, Mitch McConnell and Micheal Steele, it still isn't enough to bring me back into the party.

I still expect better from the GOP.

I have a dream, that one day the Right can work with the Left and not be tagged by their respective parties as traitors.

I have a dream that one day Conservatives will not judge their fellow Republicans by the way they adhere to party line, but by the character of their vote.

I have a dream that one day both Republicans and Democrats will enact legislation for the good of the country, not the party.

Free the Republicans.

February 25, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Jon

Caution all you politically-correct conservatives: politically incorrect expression to be used.

Talk about putting lipstick on the GOP's pig of a message.

GOP leaders initiated the war in Iraq based on deliberately false information and exclusively for the benefit of its contractor friends, who stole much of the money meant for our soldiers and for re-construction.

The GOP-initiated war in Iraq has needlessly cost almost 5,000 US lives and a trillion dollars, none of which was counted as "deficit".

And because the GOP's war for profit in Iraq was "unexpectedly" difficult (i.e., the GOP leaders didn't have a clue what would happen so they had no plan and declared "victory" four years before we started winning), we are now in real danger losing the real war against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

And that's just for starters.

So bring it on, Gov. Bobby Jingo.

Note: Jingo refers to jingoistic, which the history-illiterate Republicans among you may not know.

February 25, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Independent chicago man age 25

SOUNDS LIKE A SALES PITCH!!!!! HA THEY ARE DESPERATE TO GET NEW YOUNG ETHNIC AMERICANS

February 25, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. Kelcie in Atlanta

I don't understand why this Jindal guy needed to make a "GOP response" to the President's address last night. I mean, not only did he NOT (directly) respond to anything the President stated in his speech, but he just muttered the same divisive Republican rhetoric. We need to come together as a country, not work against each other.

Jindal's speech was unnecessary and if anything did more harm to his career than good.

February 25, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. Hilary

That was the lamest speech ever. It was like having storytime with Mr. Rogers. And this is the "rising star" of the GOP? Wow....

February 25, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Tony - Delaware

I am a proud republican no more.
    I mean I looked past the Obama speech to hear out response and what I get is a grown man reading me a bedtime story. Absolutely nothing to get excited over.
    Did he mention Katrina, give me a break. That was under our watch, remember, George Bust, what is that point suppose to do.The USA helped ur state immensely during and after Katrina. Mabethe infrastrusture was not what it should be and that is addressed in the stimulus but you dont support it. Your state has one of the highest unemploment rates but you dont see the use to the money? I rather have Sarah Palin

February 25, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. dj

Jindal = just in denial

February 25, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. AD

Really, Gov. Jindal. All of this BS about fiscal responsibility and over-spending....where were your guys for the last decade? Oh! Yeah, that's right...IN POWER!! Where was fiscal responsibility on their list of priorites? Judging by the staggering deficit Bush & Co. left us with, I'd say waaaay at the bottom.

Shush. Let Obama do his job.

February 25, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  22. Leena

"Anti-Jindal comments are raciist. He is a person of color. Treat him like you would treat Obama."

What post on here is remotely racist? They're critisim is of Jindel is of his boring speech that said nothing new and the fact that if that's the best the GOP has to offer there is a real issue.

We treat the President with the respect he deserves based on his intelligence and his plan. Not his color.

Grow up. Because right now? You and Jindel represent exactly what is wrong with the GOP.

February 25, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. Brandon

"...empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and create jobs."

That's great..now what are the GOP's constructive plans to make that happen? Apparently it's to say "No" and offer nothing further.

I have no problem with the Gov't spending as much as it sees fit to improve Americans' lives. That's their obligation, and that's why i pay taxes. The wasteful spending I've seen, has racked up far more than this stimulus over the past 8 years, and what currency has that brought us OR the Iraqi people? Furthermore the FIRST stimulus was authored by Mr. Bush...and was a complete waste and misuse of moeny, it solved nothing. I really wish the GOP would wake up and realized that televised responses and smoke and mirrors will not work anymore. The American people are listening, and for the most part..do NOT like what you have to say.

February 25, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  24. kalyn Salem OR

You know, I really don't want to say anything bad about anyone, but republicans are not coming up with any good ideas at all. They are just bashing the one idea that is there. The RECOVERY PACKAGE may not be ideal but is better that just sitting on their hands.
    Obama did well on his speech, but it was just a speech. let's wait and see how the action pans out.
    As Americans, we had better hope to God he does not fail.
    As for jindal, I think I saw a hand up that puppet.

February 25, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. shom

he was totally talking like a robot!

February 25, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |