February 25th, 2009

In GOP response, Jindal calls stimulus 'irresponsible'

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal gives the GOP response to President Obama's address Tuesday.

(CNN) - Tapped by the Republican party to deliver the GOP's response to President Barack Obama's congressional address Tuesday night, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal took on the massive stimulus package and big government - and pledged that his party would regain the nation's trust.

Watch: Jindal responds to Obama

"In the end, it comes down to an honest and fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government," Jindal said. "We oppose the national Democratic view that says the way to strengthen our country is to increase dependence on government. We believe the way to strengthen our country is to restrain spending in Washington, to empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and create jobs.

"In recent years, these distinctions in philosophy became less clear - our party got away from its principles. Tonight, on behalf of our leaders in Congress and my fellow Republican governors, I say this: Our party is determined to regain your trust," Jindal said.

Full story

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Obama address
  1. david Armendale, SF, CA

So the GOP has found a new voice to spread their distortions, half-truths, and lies. whoopie.

February 25, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. john

give me a break he is not saying anything relevant

February 25, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Disgusted in Cary North Carolina

THIS is the republican who has his eye on the next presidential election? Good God!! What an immature, patronizing, stupid little man, invoking the gross mismanagement of Hurricane Katrina as a platform for his party's new platform. I find it terrifying that people like this are responsible for ANYTHING that involves the public's well being.

February 25, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. peggyledbetter

Bobby Jindal is a joke and i cannot wait to catch Saturday Night Live!!! He had the balls to tie Katrina into his speech....Loser should have been stamped on his forehead! I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR A SORRY REPUBLICAN AGAIN!

February 25, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. Joyce in Indiana

Bobby Jindal will never be the GOP candidate for president. The Sarah Palin/evangelical Christian wing will not allow it. The funny thing is that the fiscal conservatives will never allow Sarah Palin to be the nominee. Even they know she's not presidential material.

I predict a huge split in the Republican party in the lead-up to 2012, and another Obama victory. Right now, it's the President's race to lose. The GOP had better come up with some better options or they're history.

February 25, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Irving, TX

If Jindal is the GOP new face, OMG!!!! I guess you can say leaves don't fall to far from the trees. First McCain with Palin and now Jindal....

The speak was so sad, my 6th grader could have done better. Or should I say "whos smarter than a 5th grader" NOT JINDAL...

How could he come behind Obama with such a sad speech!!!!

No way, no how NO JINDAL.....

LOL!!!LOL!!!LOL!!! Hahahaha!!! LOL!!!

February 25, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. MICK in MESA

Jindal is the leading GOP geek that's for sure.
    He said that government is not the answer. I agree if that goverment is run by heartless, self-serving repugs – Just look what Dubya and his crowd did in the last 8 years.
    The topper was Jindal's proven formula for economic disaster – More tax cuts for the rich and no benefits for the unemployed. Nice thinking there Gov – Where did you find that plan, in the "How to screw up the economy even more" file at the GOP headquarters?
    Bottom line, Jindal is a closed minded, Taliban-like (see castration) "small ball" playing obstructionist who should stay in LA.
    If the RNC promotes this guy as "the future of the GOP" the dems don't have a worry come the next election cycle…

February 25, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. KIM

jindal failed miserably. Even if it were true about the railway between Disneyland and LasVegas, it sounds like a good idea to me. A good money making railway that puts people back to work. Id go from las vegas to disneyland if I had the money to take a vacation!

February 25, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. Mari

POOR JINDAL.... sheep to the slaughter! The GOP put him "out there" ill prepared. Did anyone read his speech before he gave it?

He brought up Katrina.... dude, don't bring up Katrina, it reminds Americans of the failures of the Bush administration!

He said that Americans have lost trust of the GOP.... YOU THINK?! Poor Jindal! Do not say America does not trust the GOP.... and in the same breath ask US TO TRUST!

POOR Jindal...... I heard Dr. Dean speak on the Ketih Olbermann show (MSNBC) he said that the GOP has not learned that they can not get elected with .... a mere 15% of the population who is far-right. They need to appeal to the rest of America, which is MODERATE. Jindal was speaking directly to the GOP-Palin-Limbaugh-crowd.

POOR Jindal.

February 25, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. Kendall

I tried to listen attentively but I was appauled at his tone. I mean He was apperntly reading from a script, He souded really fake, And I remember my elementary teachers talking to me with more respect than Jindal did to a nation. Did you notice his accent. He don't sound like that, Why fake the southern draw?

February 25, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. farhana

the republicans are sooooooooo over!

February 25, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. tired of double-speak

I loved the part when he says that health care decisions should be made by physicians, not bureaucrats. Ironically, he opened with an anecdote describing how a critical health care decision regarding his own life was made by an insurance company. Having made this point, he offers no proposal to eliminate the insurers' stranglehold on health care decisions. It seems he is perfectly comfortable with the current situation as managed by the private sector.

If the insurance company refused to cover his pre-natal care, I wonder who his family turned to for help. The county, perhaps?

Anyone take a look at those health insurance companies' income statements lately? They seem to be doing just fine.

He sounds like just another misoneist to me.

February 25, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  13. Real Change

Taking fiscal responsibility leasons from the Repugs is like getting a safety tutorial from Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

He also called for less partisanship....see above analogy.

February 25, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Debby

Jindal did a horrible job orating, but he got his point across and thats all that matters. We all know Obama can hammer out a good scripted speech, but lets see if he gets the job done or is just another liberal windbag.

February 25, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. FROM CANADA WITH LOVE

I KNOW LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR YOU,... BUT I ALMOST BUSTED A RIB, WATCHING AND LISTENING TO THE NEXT GOP SUPERSTAR. WHAT GIVES WITH ALL OF THESE CARTOONISH REPUB. PERSONAS?
    HE KEPT REPEATING, " AMERICANS CAN DO ANYTHING." ...THEY SURE CAN,... THEY ELECTED GEORGE BUSH, ..AND THEN BLINDLY RE-ELECTED HIM. WHOOHOOHOO.

February 25, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. suzy

that was nothing more than a plug for himself.
    weak at best, and sad for the republicans.

February 25, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. shoegazer

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry,I mean,was he serious or not?If he is one of the"bright lights"in the future of the GOP,best check the bulb,this one is burned out.

February 25, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. Obama all the way

Is this what we have to listen to for about the next eight years Mumba Junga ?
    Listen to him with that speech . I see loser.
    Jindal you ain't what you may think you are and you ain't going no where.FAST

February 25, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Bell

THERE WON'T BE A REPUBLICAN PARTY UNTIL McCAIN AND RUSH HAVE MOVED ON.

February 25, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. BW

Oh my, the gentle liberals come out with knives in their hands and stupidity in their voices! Watch out...you may appear to be uncaring racists. And the nation is really tired of the "Republicans are satanic, Bush is to blame for everything, Democrats are angels, Obama is God" statements you continually post. Remember that our government is basically a 2-party system...and some of you are even waking up and seeing what kind of job your own liberal misfits are doing.

February 25, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  21. Jindal is lame

Jindal was talking to the American people as if we were 9 year olds. It was very insulting. When I think of Jindal's response, it reminds me of one of those lame "Let's work together" videos you see on your first day of work.

February 25, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. carlos

DID SARAH (oh boy, she again?) WRITE THE SPEECH........from the governor's mansion in Baton Rouge he tried a presidential grand entrance for his speech and started with Happy Mardi Gras.............just awful to say the least..............I bet John Mc c loved the speech or maybe he went to sleep early it certainly got me yawning.......

February 25, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. Vic of New York

Wow, if this is the best the neo-Cons have to offer – I couldn't be more pleased!

How flat footed could Bobby Jindal have been? He missed the boat on virtually every point. President Obama had this Republican response covered and disarmed on every single point.

By Contrast Jindal came across as tired, "old", and stale. Same 0le, same ole tired hacks – that's the Republican response. To call this the Party of "NO" is kindly – more truthful would be: "the Party of no Brains, no Creativity, no answers".

John Dean in his book "Republicans Without Conscience" made note that the best Republican party members are low IQ sheep who follow their Nazi leaders blindly. From the coments I have seen on this web site that certainly seems true.

Here's a tip: 2012 Republican ticket: Jindal / Palin. Now there's the ticket!

February 25, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |