February 25th, 2009

In GOP response, Jindal calls stimulus 'irresponsible'

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal gives the GOP response to President Obama's address Tuesday.

(CNN) - Tapped by the Republican party to deliver the GOP's response to President Barack Obama's congressional address Tuesday night, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal took on the massive stimulus package and big government - and pledged that his party would regain the nation's trust.

Watch: Jindal responds to Obama

"In the end, it comes down to an honest and fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government," Jindal said. "We oppose the national Democratic view that says the way to strengthen our country is to increase dependence on government. We believe the way to strengthen our country is to restrain spending in Washington, to empower individuals and small businesses to grow our economy and create jobs.

"In recent years, these distinctions in philosophy became less clear - our party got away from its principles. Tonight, on behalf of our leaders in Congress and my fellow Republican governors, I say this: Our party is determined to regain your trust," Jindal said.

Full story

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Obama address
  1. Trevor in Ja

Sorry Bobby (Ginnal) Jindal. You should have told them that it was suicidal to speak after such an inspirationally great speech by the President. You came across as robotic and simply reciting something that has been programmed into your mind even if you may wish to think otherwise. How about speaking for yourself next time instead of echoing a failed organizational position?

February 25, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. MW in MD

TO ROB JOHNSON:

You said it in a nutshell!

February 25, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. New Day

His speech was a sensory nightmare for me. It took my, admittedly, puny brain quite some time to reconcile the fact that I was watching an Indian-American with a southern accent giving a speech who's tone sounded more like he was auditioning to be on the Mickey Mouse club than responding to President Obama's address.

I saw him on Meet the Press and he sounded quite intelligent and didn't seem to have much of an accent at all.

What Happened?

February 25, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. Reality

Jindal is an idiot...and is far from being ready for prime time

February 25, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. rob c

Once again they try to put a minority out there to counter the prez. First mike steel a black man, now jindahl an immigrant that is darkskinned and intelectual. The only problem is they still represent the group that drove this nation into the ground. So I guess since tax cuts worked so well before the recession they will work now. The people who got those bush tax cuts had nothing to do with the consolidation of wealth in this country or the irresponsible acts that led to the financial breakdown. I remember when clinton first imposed the taxes on the wealthy, it was the most recent time of prosperity in this country. Tax vuts for the wealthy and spending on two wars ruined this country. Guess who was in charge, republicans who only care for the rich. U can say u care for the people but your actions speak louder than words. I suggest going out into the real world republicans and listen to the people that pay your salaries. The same people who are losing out these days because you only did what was good for those americans who are the richest in the nation. And for those of you who call us laid off lazy, wait until the recession hits your business. Oh I forgot your job might b saved because my prez is actually doing what he said he would, trying to get the people jobs and security not stalling and trying to derail what is good for those of us who are victims of republican policies. Quit crying and start working for us, the people, your bosses.

February 25, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Terri

Mr. Rogers (er i mean Jindal).....it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood....Amerwicans can do anythwinnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg...how many times did he remind us? What a complete DOOFUS – he is right up there with "sista sarah"!
    Please give us a break! What a complete night and day contrast between our new President's wonderful speech and this ignoramus. Go away GOP that is what you are going to do with "stars" like this! Wow – incredible...it hurt to even watch the guy.

I had to laugh the part that his mom was "pregnant for 4 months with me when she arrived in the USA" i guess already building his case that HE is a natural born citizen!

February 25, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Lush Limprick is the real RNC chairman!

Jindal gave a speech? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

February 25, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. apm

Jindal is 37 yrs old and has had more experience in gov't than our president. The guy isn't going away and will serve the people of LA. as governor until he decides to run for president. Obama is a great speaker and a master at the teleprompter , to compare his speech to Jindal's is a no brainer. I am giving Jindal a break ......no matter what, Jindal has a bright future and by the way Chris Matthews reacted, is a definite threat to the democrats. He's 37 yrs old people, lighten up......what did Obama sound like at that age?

February 25, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. Where is the OUTRAGE when in 2001 GW BUSH gave 1.35 trillion dollars in TAX CUT to the RICH & CORPORATE AMERICA

If the new republiklan party is the faces of Jindal, Pain-lin and Steele then they must be beating A-Rod to the packs of steroid use.

Jindal primetime response is a BIG FAT FLUB!

it's not about skin color, get it GRAND OBSTRUCTIONIST PARTY?!!!

It's about reaching out, offering hope, and not being divisive and bigoted but trying to fix the problems that GW left behind for american children and grand-children!

that's the change we can believe in – Obama 2012 & BEYOND!!!!!!

February 25, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Laura, Boston

I think Gov Jindal was nervous. He knew he had to follow President Obama who let's face it is a gifted speaker (even though he never says anything).

Gov Jindal will express himself and the GOP beliefs in the coming weeks, months and even years. He may not have been at his best but he was again under a lot of pressure. Give him some slack!

February 25, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. Lucy in Chicago

He speech was very remedial. If this is the best the GOP can do it is a sad state of affairs. He and Sarah Palin probably went to the same school.

February 25, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Maggie

Did Jindal even listen to the president's speech? His rebuttal didn't even address what the president said!

I know the speech had to have been written ahead of time, but couldn't the GOP have gotten someone who actually knew what he was talking about? Who could speak intelligently about other ways of helping America?

All I heard from him was more of the BS rhetoric that was so prevalent in the Bush administration.

You know, maybe the people from the Bush administration could start up a marketing company and make commercials and ads for tv and radio. That seems to be what they want to do instead of actually doing the jobs they were elected to do.

February 25, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  13. Sniffit

I cringed the whole time he spoke. It was pitiful. Seriously. The entire GOP has lost their everloving minds.

February 25, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. Ron - New Orleans

As a Louisiana Voter, I cannot wait until Jindal is up for re-election so we can vote him out!!! I cannot believe some of the things that actually came out of his mouth last night. "We do not need light rail train systems". Other countries have had them for years. Why should we be left in the stone ages. Republicans are not about progress and Bobby Jindal proved that last night.

February 25, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  15. Terri

All i could think of was a skit on SNL when i saw him walking up – Chris Mathews was right when he sighed out loud on MSNBC "oh God!" when he saw him walking up!

February 25, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. V

His speech was just pathetic. And what is with that voice and had gestures.

February 25, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I watched Jindal with fairly high interest since he appears to have been dubbed the future of the GOP. Boy, was I surprised!!! If this is the best the GOP has to offer up, the next elections should thrill the Democrats. Jindal came off as a pure amateur. At times I thought I was watching George Bush just with darker skin.

And BTW Governor, have you toured your own state lately?? You can't blame the federal government for the crappy condition of many of the New Orleans neighborhoods when houses are still boarded up & rotting with weeds waist high everywhere and junk stacked head high around the side of the house– while there's a nice big FEMA trailer sitting next to it with usually two big SUV's or luxury cars parked next to it. You've got people who are just too lazy to take care of themselves and want the government to come do everything for them. I saw MANY MANY situations like this as I drove the New Orleans neighborhoods.
    This certainly doesn't apply to everyone in Louisiana, but the fact is that you've got a bunch of lazy whiners & freeloaders who always have their hand out wanting somebody else to take care of them. Personally, I'm sick of paying the bill. You need to take care of your OWN state & motivate your own constituents before you start telling us how the rest of the country should be run.

February 25, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. maryland

Jindal is GOP's rising star? Really ? What has happened to the GOP?

February 25, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  19. obama2012/4moreyears

Gov. Jindal just shot his chances of becoming the new golden boy of the republican party. Weak, weak, weak. Gov. Pawlenty or even Mitt Romney because of his business acumen would have been a better choice to rebutt the speech.
    However, in keeping with those opposed to the Fairness Doctrine I don't think the networks should have aired the opposition's views.

February 25, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. No Rethuglicans

I can't stop laughing at this clown. Poor Louisiana. Is that what they call a leader. Steele, Palin and Jindal are three blind mice. What a joke Jindal is. Across the country on every radio stream he is the joke of the day. President NEVER. The whole Rethuglican party is a joke. Hey Jindal you were right saying that the government didn't work during Katrina and we all know why it didn't, it was because the rethuglicans and Bush was in office. Please run for president cause that would give President Obama another four years for sure.
    Rethuglicans have fun spinning this one. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh.

February 25, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. Greg in Colorado

I am inspired, and hopeful by Obama's speech.
    Who cares about JIndal... he's a has-been. So, done with the republican party.

February 25, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  22. Sniffit

Used car salesman anyone?

And did you know he presided over an exorcism in college?

A real winner, this one. Doesn't believe in that whacky science stuff (please see volcano comment) but demons and evil spirits? Hell yeah!

February 25, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. gnomepark

I thought he was a cardboard cut-out.

February 25, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. Chris

As a moderate, desperately hoping for some non-partisan cooperation in the coming months/years, I found his speech, honestly, rather refreshing.

I recognize the need for opposing parties and ideals, but we're never going to get anything done if people continue to put full-fledged party loyalty over good of country.

I thought it was about as dignified of a "rebuttal" as you could ask for. Especially liked him touching on the need to work with the new administration, but to be respectful in opposition on matters of disagreement.

Look, they could've sent anyone out there and made it a snarky, vitriolic attack, but it wasn't like that.

I dunno, I thought both speeches were very, very good. But given the knee-jerk, blindly partisan reactions from both sides that usually plague these comment sections, I'm sure I just wasted my time typing this.

I hope the Pres. can bring us together. Here's to hoping a fresh, working together across the aisle approach to Washington doesn't get cut off by the old guard and a desire for respective parties to "win" rather than better the country as a whole.

February 25, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. donald

The speech was a dud and so was the Gov.

February 25, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |