February 25th, 2009

Obama names Locke to head Commerce Department

Pres. Obama formally named Gary Locke to run the Commerce Department.
Pres. Obama formally named Gary Locke to run the Commerce Department.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The president named former Washington Gov. Gary Locke as his nominee for commerce secretary Wednesday.

Watch: Obama nominates Locke

Full story

Filed under: Gary Locke • President Obama
  1. Idealist

To 1/20/13 – You are an absolute IDIOT.

You actually think that the wealthy worked hard for 'their' money, and the non-wealthy have not?!!

You represent that which is considered repugnant about the GOP.

February 25, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  2. cheryl brooks from cali

The President means buisness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The American People are and is going to be very proud of this President, he certainly has hit the ground running. Good job!!!!!

February 25, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. RJ

@baffeld.
    304 million x $1 million = $304 TRILLION

Get a clue… better yet, go retake first grade math.

The national debt is just under $11 trillion
    That would increase the national debt to 27 times the current level.

As for Locke, I haven't heard anything bad about him. Hope he's paid up on his taxes.

February 25, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  4. JD

Fantastic! As a resident of Washington state, I can attest to the dishonesty of our former governor Gary Locke. On many occasions he has been tainted by dirty campaign money coming from the Chinese Army to corrupt Clinton donor John Huang. Yet another awesome pick for a cabinet post, Mr. President. Brilliant!

Vote Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck 2012!

February 25, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  5. richie

May be Mr. Locke can do the job rather than have that sen. Gregg thing from NH who happened to be lucky lottery winner and now to work of the people of America is a typical joke republicans are doing.....
    Welcome mr. Locke to our president's innitiatives!

February 25, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. george

Welcome aboard Mr. Locke and give your best to our America!

February 25, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Bipartisan

Congratulations Mr. Locke. I wish you success. But please, oh please I hope they checked his tax records this time!

February 25, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. Ben

Mr. Locke is the greatest secretary Mr. Obama could have to add with other amazing cabinet members have. With diverse of his adm. I welcome Mr. Locke with both arms!

February 25, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. Tyra

America is changing and changing fast.
    Thank you Mr. President!

February 25, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. David

So, he found someone to be a yes man for the Census debacle. This skirting of the Constitution shall not go unnoticed. Rahm has no business and authority here and the Constitution clearly states the roles in the Census. Gregg was right to quit. Sen. Byrd makes another fine point of this administration behaving like the previous one with his issue with appointing these "czars" and using executive orders to possibly shield them. That's straight out of a Bush playbook. The two-party scam continues.

February 25, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. NY republican

Finally found a Democrat that paid his taxes? :) Just a joke, folks. Seriously I hear great things about the new Sec. of Commerce and wish him the best. Here's at least one American that is no "coward" to take a job like this at this time in history.

February 25, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. S Callahan

Actually Baffled...there are many who sit on quite a bit of money who did not work hard but took advantage of the selling of mortgages at inflationary prices, with people who should have never taken on that burden to begin with. They've enslaved the buyer while buliding their corporate banks...and then the angel of disclosure came and exposed them. Man has the basic right to earn money..that is a given... but the responsiblity of doing so also gives you the burden of being morally right in your dealings...anything short of that is greed and to put it blunt ...sin...

February 25, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. texas teacher

No, 1/20/13... no one expects the wealty to give anyone anything! We just expect them to start carrying their load for the first time in 8 years! I'm tired of welfare for the wealthy that is supposed to trickle down to the rest of us! It never does... it only trickles into their pockets so that they get rich and rest of us get poorer! And the Rick... they laugh behind their hands. Just as Grapham said, "The middle class is becoming a bunch of whiners"

February 25, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. texas teacher

Oh, God forbid, CNN.. that anyone speak the truth about the wealthy welfare! :(

February 25, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. texas teacher

Oh, God forbid, CNN.. that anyone speak the truth about the wealthy welfare! :(

February 25, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. Mari

@ 1-20-13...... Actually NO. We, Liberals, do not want the rich to give us money! That's the fallacy of the far-right! You, people, do not seem to understand that what the Liberals want is for the wealthy to PAY their taxes. Not to get away with putting money in foreign countries, hiding millions away.

There is an old saying that comes from the Gospel of Matthew, "TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN MUCH IS ASKED." When for example, Exxon-Mobil Corporation was (is) receiving billions in tax breaks, when they are making RECORD PROFITS.... its is wrong. The Exxon-Mobil's and Trump's, etc., of the U.S. have a responsibility to our Nation to pay their FAIR share of taxes.

And I want you to know that, we, my husband and I will be among those whose taxes will be raised next year, as the Bush tax cuts expire! However, we are WILLING to PAY MORE TAXES IF it means that our Nation's children will have better schools, better healthcare, and a better education! THE WEALTHY ...ONE.... PER CENT..... CAN AFFORD TO PAY A BIT MORE, BELIEVE ME!

As a Liberal (though I am a registered Independent) I am willing to INVEST in the Country I LOVE. ALL the Bush Tax Cuts, have done is line the pockets of the rich. IF THE TAX CUTS TO THE WEALTHY ..... REALLY..... DID 'TRICKLE' DOWN.... WE WOULD NOT BE IN THE DISASTER WE ARE IN RIGHT NOW.

February 25, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  17. Patrick - Indianapolis

baffled: giving 300 million people 1 million dollars would be a sum of 300,000,000,000,000. Thats 300 Trillion. Not a very logical idea.

1/20/2013: Most of the top 1% didn't work hard for their money and most of the bottom 99% DO work hard for their money. When you start out on the bottom, its a lot harder to make it to the top.

Trickle down doesn't work because people never factor in GREED. Greed is the deadly killer of capitalism. The united states has had many socialized programs for many years. You'll see we are a fine blend of capitalism, socialism and several others. All are essentially needed because one alone isn't going to help anyone.

The rich are rich because they have a drastically high income over what they spend. It really has little to do with how hard you are actually working.

You want to tell me these big wall street guys are intelligent? You sure they didn't just have pretty sweet connections from Mom or Pop or someone else in their elite group of friends?

Most rich people don't have poor friends.

February 25, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. texas teacher

1/20/13... get out of here, Cindy! :) We didn't notice at first! Come on, Girl, I know you and your hubby only made 6 million dollars last year... and McCain says no one is rich who makes that paltry amount! But it is your turn to carry your weight! The rest of us are tired of carrying your FAT CAT as....well, behinds!

February 25, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. Outraged

By the way, 1/20/13,

You may think that you worked hard for you money, but you obviously did not pay attention in school. In the context that you used it, "there" should be, "THEIR".

PS. You sound like a silver-spooned buffoon.

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. MT

I think the president is doing a great job thus far. He is optimistic about changing a bad inherited economy. For some people, no matter what decisions the president makes it is not going to be good enough. I have never seen so many attacks on a president in his first thirty days. I support the president fully as I am aware that it is not about him it is about the country.

February 25, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. Scott

I withhold my opinion until his tax history is revealed.....

February 25, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. Jackie in Dallas

1/20/13
    You know, if you weren't so ignorant and bigoted, you would see the fallacy in your own statements. I don't want money from the "wealthy" - instead, I want them to pay their FAIR share of taxes. Did you know that some millionaires actually pay less in taxes (not in percentages, but actual money) than I do with a 5-figure income? I can't afford to hire a fancy accountant to hide my wealth in off-shore banks, and behind the facade of non-existent companies that all too many wealthy do. I've worked hard all my live, started working when 13, and haven't stopped now that I'm 58.

"They" get special preference mortgages, by the way, many times owned by those same non-existent company facades. I earned my mortgage, a 30-year, VA-backed fixed rate mortgage that I've paid on for nearly 20 years. Yet I've been faced with foreclosure twice due to lack of employment. You must have a union job that prevents you from being fired, and guarantees that if you want to work, you can. The rest of us just have to struggle to find work. My last bout of unemployment came last year; during that time I sent out over 300 resumes, interviewed at 14 places, and worked short-term contracts until I landed my current full-time job. I've never been on welfare (although I have been on unemployment - but, by the way, WE pay for that in our paychecks!), and I work darn hard. So stop generalizing that all liberals, or in this case, all supporters of President Obama (which isn't the same thing, by the way) are on welfare and don't work!

Do you know what liberal means? It doesn't mean welfare moms, layabouts, and ignorant. It means thoughtful people who work for equal rights for all citizens; it means that I suffered being stoned by rednecks in east Texas for working for civil rights; it means that I've educated myself, and fought for causes that I thought were right; it means supporting the Bill of Rights and Constitution of the United States - ALL of it, not just the right to bear arms. I've served my country in the military, I give to charity, I help out at homeless shelters. So before you make unjust and really bigoted generalizations, you might want to go back and actually read our country's great documents, and you will see that they are very "liberal"!

February 25, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. Sniffit

@ 1/20/13

1. WRONG DATE.

2. Obama has proven your virulent train of thought to be entirely irrelevant...and America agrees. Plenty of people work hard and it doesn't give them a margin of comfort. THAT is the problem. To put it in terms you can understand: MONEY GO UP, NO COME DOWN. Moreover, conveniently ignoring that 4,000,000 jobs have been lost in the past year and failing to recognize that it has severe repercussions on our society (such as people not being able to pay their mortgage, not out of laziness, but becuase of unemployment), so you can play this game of pretending that everyone's suffering is their own fault is disasterously insipid. Wake up and grow up...or STFU. Choose wisely.

February 25, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. george

I listened to this guy and he sounded like a very bright and capable guy. He is inspirational and we should give him a chance!

February 25, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. smokesignals

Wow! I like "baffled"'s idea! I never thought of that particular solution, but if I had even $100,000, that would be enough for me to bail myself out and keep my little business going. What if everyone got at least that much? Instead of the banks? I love this idea. Why not? I'm sure I'm missing something.

February 25, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |