February 25th, 2009

Obama names Locke to head Commerce Department

Pres. Obama formally named Gary Locke to run the Commerce Department.
Pres. Obama formally named Gary Locke to run the Commerce Department.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The president named former Washington Gov. Gary Locke as his nominee for commerce secretary Wednesday.

Watch: Obama nominates Locke

Full story

Filed under: Gary Locke • President Obama
  1. Kudos Mr. President

Good selection for Commerce Secretary and, great president.

America is slowing getting back on track.

All the naysayers can fall off a cliff. They're a bunch of whiney do nothings anyway.

February 25, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Randyman

Third times a charm. I think mr. Locke is the best choice of all three.

February 25, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. dotjet

@ 1/20/13

I'm "baffled" as to why you would assume that baffled is a liberal??? I didn't get that at all from baffled's comment. I totally got that baffled is not the brightest bulb on the tree, but not a political ideology. And by the way . . . . you come in a close second to baffled as far as brightness goes, in my opinion.

February 25, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Annie, Atlanta

1/20/13: Why is it always about working hard vs. not working; it's not that simple? What about those who worked hard all their lives and have lost at least 40% of their retirement and can no longer retire? What about the guys on Wall St. who have made hundreds of millions of dollars by taking toxic assets and triple A rating them, who are now being paid by the guys who put in 40 hours plus a week of hard labor? Please, not only is it not that simple, you just don't have to be that ugly. Us liberals aren't out here sitting on our lazy behinds taking money from the govt. That honor appears to now go to the guys sitting on Wall Street. I would never think of lumping all conservatives in the "ignorant masses" category, as tempting as that may be.

February 25, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  5. Dan, TX

Wow, I don't even understand the meaning of most of the comments being posted here. What is going on? Are you all ok?

February 25, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. shucks

We are one nation. Not one nation of wealthy people and one nation of poor people. All of the wealthy people at some time gained their wealth from the working class, unless they inherited it or they won the lottery. They just decided to take all that they could and not spead the wealth with the ones who got them their. It's that simple. Those who don't understand this are truly misguided and listening to Limbaugh way to diligently.

February 25, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. Michigan Millionaire

How dare anyone criticize our President! How dare anyone express a contrary opinion! Our President won the election with 52% of the vote. All naysayers should be exiled. The Republican Party should be banned. Strict penalties should be placed upon seditious words, writings, and thoughts. Then I can go to sleep at night, secure in the knowledge that my opinions, which are 100% in line with those of the President, are correct.

February 25, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  8. JOE KILOZ

another,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,appointee,,,,,,,,,,,,who's,,,,,,,,,had,,,,,,,,,,,occassionally,,,,,,,,,

trouble,,,,,,,,,,,with,,,,,,,,,illegal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,donations,,,,,,,,,,,,,more,,,,,,,,"change"

February 25, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  9. E.J. in Tacoma

The best choice is the last!
    It is wonderful to see a such an awesome choice to come out of our beautiful state of Washington. Gary Locke has served us well here and will be a tremendous asset to President Obama! Nice to have someone from the great Northwest representing our country and the people of America!!!
    E.J. in Washington

February 25, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. Texan

Baffled.. learning Math first.

February 25, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  11. Texan

Baffled... learn* Math!

February 25, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. FreeNLovIt

Dang, this is the first time in my life I get to see Asians being picked left and right for top positions.

February 25, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  13. D-MI

1/20/13-

Well, we as individuals may or may not be "grateful", but many in our party can spell the word. That comes from book learnin', which is a by product of education, which cost money and is federally funded, so I fully expect you oppose that as well...

Sad.

February 25, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. 1/20/13

To Felonious Monk,
    Turns out I am one of the so called 'Wealthy" and very educated. You are apparently one of those looking for the hand out. I am sorry you decided to take the easy way in life NOT MY PROBLEM.

If you can explain to me, why those who make more money need to help those like you who are lazy, uneducated and refuse to help themselves?

This should be a funny explanation, cant wait.

February 25, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. kayla

1/20/13/ YOU HAD YOUR SHARE WHEN STUART LITTLE BUSH WAS IN THE WHITE HOUSE. IT IS TIME TO PAY THE PIPER. GET IT.? WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND.

February 25, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  16. Jet

1/20/13 – That's quite a generalization you've made there. Also, you need to learn how to spell.

February 25, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. Dixon

To 1/20/13: Since when is it that only the wealthy work hard. I have worked very hard through my life. I am a veteran who put himself through college while raising my family and working full time. I work in a field where troubled youth needed someone to help them learn what is important and right in life. There are many of us out here doing the same job for a lot less money. I do work hard, but people like you have decided you have to have a lot of money before you can claim you worked hard.

February 25, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. Melissa

At least it isn't yet another Republican.

February 25, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. I Love Our President

I love our president. I don't know if I should salute him or bake him some cookies. He's so adorable.

My prayers will always be with him.

February 25, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. endithinks

Governor Locke was a pretty good Governor. I lived in Washington until just two years ago and he did a pretty good job overall. I would give him a B. (I didn't like the education funding being cut is my main issue with his governing style that and the horrendous tragedy that was the WASL.)

February 25, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. bluesky

Gary Locke is a fiscal conservative. Eat your hearts out, Republicans.

February 25, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Good Heart, Good Man

I think it's interesting how his mother watched over him as long as she could, sent him to her parents and they did a good job. Now it's our job to watch over him, he's working so hard to make a difference in this country. How can you argue with a leader with a good heart? You can't.

He will be my favorite president until the day I kick.

He rocks.

February 25, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Meredith

Next week it will probably be someone else named to the post...ring around the rosies...our president can't seem to pick the posies...up his ladder....down they scatter....scoot....they quit.

February 25, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. Frostlanta

I need everyone to go to twentyfivedollarbill.com so we can get Barak Obama on the twenty five dollar bill.

February 25, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. 1/20/13

To kayla
    You are the typical liberal.......Hate those who have more then you. You and felatio monk should get together you seem like a perfect match, you can double your wellfare check together

February 25, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |