February 25th, 2009

Source: Obama to give speech about Iraq on Friday

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama's speech on Iraq will take place at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina on Friday, according to a senior Administration official.

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. NOT BROKEN PROMISE BUT REALITY

@ KIM

February 25, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. RJ

Obama has now seen the REAL reports and recognizes the reality of war.
    It's pretty easy to say you're going to end it.
    Actually doing it is a lot tougher.

I just hope he listens to the guys on the ground and not the results of opinion polls from people who have no clue what war really is.

February 25, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. Mike in LR

Voters bought his rhetoric about pulling out. Now he's changed his tune about those to be left behind in Iraq. He's just another politician who wouldn't know the truth if it hit him in the rear.

I agree with the security forces needed. I just wish voters used more common sense when voting or maybe their brain instead of emotion.

Four years from now, at this rate, we'll be bogged down in Afghanistan and BO will have tripled the debt and the government will be huge and the welfare state will be high on the hog again. So much for the progress of Reagan and Clinton. Back to the governement dole!!

February 25, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. texas teacher

Thank you, Mr. President, for keeping us abreast of what you are doing! And thank you for reaching out a helping hand to our military who have given so much and gotten so little in return!

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. RICO

Iraq withdrawal.

At least President Obama is giving us a time line of how things are going to work out in Iraq, all tha McCain said that they would stay ther until who knows when, how is that better? With Obama theres a beginning to the end of the war, with McCain there would have just been a continuing to the war.

February 25, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. NOT BROKEN PROMISE BUT REALITY

@KIM, I too have a very close family member who has spent 3 tours. It is so nice to read the comments from someone who really knows the reality of this war unlike BROKEN PROMISE PERSON. I recently spent a week with him and let me say this, if all of the american people who knew the entire truth about the IRAQ war they would truly know the truth as to why we are there. My soldier saying if you all in the states really knew the truth. We pressed him for specifics and of course he is a soldier first and will do his job and be loyal but he finally mentioned find out who was behind the company who supplied the soldiers with the protective gear that was inadequate at best, who made money from these NO-BID contractors, there was no WMD but a lot of OIL. This is what the President mentioned he will no longer allow in his speech last night.

February 25, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  7. Tyra

Leave Iraq to Iraqi's!

February 25, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. Really?

TO: Iraq Withdrawal – Another Broken Promise.....

And what is your plan? I didn't hear your plan. You have a lot of room to detail your plan and I just don't hear that coming from you. When you critique someone, it is expected that you will provide a plan you have authored.

Or do you only sound off? The answer is obvious.

February 25, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. Mari

@ KIM...... THANK YOU & THANK YOU TO YOUR SON, for his service and your sacrifice. As a mother, myself, I can not imagine the agony of waiting for your son to arrive home! May God bless your son, with a full, happy and healthy life!

@ IRAQ WITHDRAWAL..... HE IS NOT BREAKING HIS PROMISE! He IS simply been cautious and wise! We, can not pull out of Iraq SUDDENLY.
    Iraq is a mess (THANKS BUSH!), and President Obama needs to withdraw our Troops with care.

GIVE OBAMA A BREAK...... HE KNOWS THE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS, HE KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON OVER THERE!

He said he would end the Iraq war and HE WILL. PEACE!

February 25, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. Angus McDugan

Ahhh... More words. Papa Obama, tell me the one about pulilng troops out of Iraq. That is one of my favorites.

February 25, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. Sniffit

@ Iraq withdrawal – another broken promise

You should be ecstatic that we have a president who does not value political gamesmanship and obtaining political leverage by blindly pursuing ideology over listening to his military advisors and considering several different options when making his decisions. If it's 19 months instead of 16, so be it...peoples' lives are stake. You can try to start a fire about the extra 3 months, but the people who voted for him will understand him and will applaud his success in bringing them home anyway. You can't win this one.

February 25, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. Jon in Ca

Obama is a danger to our troops. Announcing to the world our military plans, time-lines, etc will only embolden our enemies to plot and plan attacks against our soldiers.

He derides our military on the campaign trail ("All we're doing is bombing and killing innocent civilians") .... but flies to Camp Lejune to make another speech?

What a shamelss thug!

February 25, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. cnnnewser

This should be very interesting. I'm hoping we'll bring our troops home soon as possible.

February 25, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  14. No Hillary = No Obama

Another speech? Is anybody doing the "camera count"? If Obama intends to hold pep rallies as a definition of his leadership and pass it off as substantive remedy, then what we have going on here is another investment scam.

February 25, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. No Hillary = No Obama

Another speech?!!!!

February 25, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. hateYT

you left wing libtards are REALLLY gonna be pissed when he sends the troops to Afghanistan.

But I'm all for leaving iraq....throwing shoes at the one the best presidents this country has ever seen was enough for me.

February 25, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. Jackie in Dallas

Perhaps, IRAQ WITHDRAWAL, you didn't listen very closely to President Obama when he campaigned. He said he wanted to get out of Iraq as soon as feasibly possible, and he is doing that. The logisitics alone for removing US military and materials will take months to determine. It isn't just a matter of sending a bunch of planes and airlift everybody out tomorrow. The training is for Iraqis who will pick up, not just the military actions, but the support activities needed to keep the country stable long enough for us to depart. The actual plan, which President Obama is to speak about on Friday, probably will take 2 to 2 1/2 years. Yes, that's longer than I'd like to see myself, but a heck of a lot shorter than McCain's 100 years!

And deployments to Afghanistan are essential. We are a part of a multi-national UN team there, and left our allies holding the bag when President Bush decided to invade Iraq. Again, the requirements there are to finally set and accomplish specific goals, develop logistics for a staged withdrawal, and rebuild infrastructure that we, ourselves have distroyed.

Part of the Stimulus Bill that got diminished to meet GOP terms was for VA support of our returning military members. You might consider why the GOP wanted that part out of the package when it is factual that VA facilities are vastly underfunded, infrastrutures are deteriorating, staff are underpaid and overworked, and are now facing an even heavier patient load. Why would the party that put hundreds of thousands of our military at risk not want to support them when they came back?

February 25, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. Jackie in Dallas

Kim,
    My heart goes out to you. I'm a Vietnam era veteran myself, and my family has had military service for the last seven generations (my Dad was career Army). I'm grateful that your son came home, but very sorry he came home injured. Don't let your Representative and your Senators off the hook for improvements to the VA system! It is downright shameful how understaffed, underequipped, and unmaintained many of the VA facilities are!

February 25, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Anthony R. Seta

@ Iraq Withdrawal – Another Broken Promise:

You are so wrong on all that you wrote. Obama is following through with his campaign pledges. The Iraq War is winding down and he's bringing the forces home. Leaving a residual force behind has always been an element that republicans and democrats have agreed upon. This is nothing new and your creating a false fantasy in the confines of your mind about how Obama "jumped all over him (McCain)" in regards to leaving a residual force in Iraq. This event never happened. You created this alleged incident in the vain attempt to prove your non-existent point.

Secondly – moving troops out of Iraq to the Afghan theatre has always been a hallmark of Obama's campaign and democratic strategy. In case you didn't get the memo, the democrats have been voicing concerns for years that the Iraq war diverted funds, resources and troops from the primary central front of the War on Terror which is in Afghanistan.

I normally don't respond to wingnuts with limited intellect and comprehension of politics and world events, but in your case I made an exception so that you get this message loud and clear. I realize though that my words are wasted on someone like you. You may have more positive responses to your absurd statements on other sites that happen to believe that BHO is the anti-christ, a communist mole and a terrorist sympathizer. You fit right in with this group.

February 25, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Ted van Tol

Today I heard Barack Obama's State off the Union".
    I was moved by the way he adressed the military, he himself
    applaud for your soldiers.
    Last week on Dutch TV, I saw and heard the soldier who captured
    Sadam Hussein. He told that he had to kill a child because it could
    betraid him and the other soldiers. He was in a terrible shape and
    the army give's him not a penny. They told him he was mental Ill
    before he was in the army!

Anyone who read this, bring it on to your President or his secr. off defense, I am sure for 100 % Obama will not accept that and help the man who lives in poverty on the moment. A disgrace from your former
    governement.

Please take action because I live in The Netherlands and cannot do
    enything about it.

February 25, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. JL

I heard some of this on MSNBC last night...They acted like Obama was a traitor for agreeing to 19 months, rather than 16 and for leaving some troops there in a support role. I don't get the outrage. At least he HAS a plan, which is more than I can say for Bush.

He always said that he would listen to the all sides, especially the leaders on the ground and and revise his plan to make it a responsible ending. I think the choice he made is extremely responsible and shows he plans to keep his promises to listen to the generals, revising his plan to make sure leave Iraq in an orderly manner and end this war in a responsible manner.

Maybe we should all stop getting our panties in a bunch over his every little move and give the guy a chance.

February 25, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  22. RB

His speech SHOULD take place in Iraq. THEN he would get a better understanding of his decision.

February 25, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

Talk is cheap and getting cheaper everytime Obama gives another one of his speeches.

February 25, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  24. Michelle

Hey while you're there Mr. President, how about telling my cousin he doesn't have to deploy to Iraq on Saturday. Why the heck aren't we getting out of the Middle East? I do not want my family members sent to die for misguided military initiatives.

February 25, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. Bruce

To Kim: Unfortunately, soldiers have been 'sacrified" for the good of the nation since the Revolutionary War. I hate to disappoint you but if this country needs to go to war in the future there will be many more sacrifices. I'm sorry for the injuries to your son but that is the price all soldiers pay for our freedoms. Whether you agree or disagree with the war in Iraq, and I happen to agree that we needed to be there, there will be other sacrifices and other wars in the future. There are a lot of bad guys out there willing to do us harm and have tried since we became a nation. I applaud your son for wanting to uphold our freedoms. I just hope we never take the position that we will never fight for what we believe in simply because we don't want young soldiers to be wounded or killed. There are times when you have to take a stand and fight for what you believe in. Does it tear me up when someone is wounded or killed? You bet. But if not for the brave soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines, all of our freedoms would be gone.

February 25, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |