February 26th, 2009

Dem blasts Obama's budget

Taylor, a Democrat, says the budget isn't 'change.'

Taylor, a Democrat, says the budget isn't 'change.'

(CNN) - Mississippi Democratic Rep. Gene Taylor blasted the budget outline President Obama submitted to Capitol Hill today, saying “I don’t like it…change is not running up even bigger deficits that George Bush did.”

“That’s what George Bush did very well. Apparently that’s what President Obama is doing.”

Taylor, a conservative “blue dog” who voted against the stimulus bill, noted he was still reviewing the plan but was troubled by the additional amount of spending for many government programs on top of the recent increased funding many agencies received in the economic stimulus bill.

Watch: Conservative Dems dog Obama

As a member of the Armed Service Committee, Taylor noted the budget only gives the Defense Department a “small increase,” which he said would barely cover the cost of living adjustments for the military.

Taylor pointed to President Obama’s inaugural address that called for Americans to make sacrifices, saying “It’s certainly not reflected in his budget.”

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Matthew, Detroit

BEBO.

You are wrong. The fact is the MORTGAGE crisis has caused the issues today.

This is the truth based on EVERY economist.

Now you can blame Dems in Congress, You can blame Republicans.

The fact is Barack the idiot could have spent money on that but instead he bought condoms. He is a moron and does not deserve any respect. HE IS A NAIVE BOY and talked all you people into voting for him. You like to vote for popular. The next guy you people will vote for will be George Clooney. I think he is a great looking guy but that does not make him presidential material. But you will vote for him because he is cute, or talks so sweet in your ear. Grow up.

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Alicia

Of course, he can't help himself. He is a Good Ole Boy!

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Marcelo

So first he kvetches about the deficit running up, and in the next sentence he complains we are barely increasing military spending? Is the right side of his brain talking to the left, or has the stroke fully set in already?

And for those saying that Bush only added 5 trillion – how about you start counting all the things Bush left off the budget and hid under the rug under emergency spending bills, like his needless war?

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Clark-Iowa

I think republicans need to take a step back. After all, the last eight years were lead by an incompetent, terrible president who didn't care about helping America at home; and giving his buddies tax-breaks. Maybe you should give Barack a chance at leading us out of this recession (which he will), and give us our eight years back

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. shirley

This is crazy. He said he would change things around. He said he would stop a lot of this crazy spending. Now we're back at where we started. He is spending and the American people are letting him. His excuse is for change. Racking up a bigger deficit and trying to justify it by claiming it will create more jobs. Let's all move to North Dakota where there is a surplus.

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. gaya tinmahan

In his remarks about the budget Prez. Obama said expenditures wil be more initially due to bailouts. So Far so good Obama. for years I toiled in misery but I kept the faith. I only questioned it once and I put it aside and kept toiling. allof my secret fears and concerns were recognized by our new president Obama. The man is in the zone and has the heart of the tinman , the brain of the scarecrow and the courage of the lion. God Bless all of you out there that Obama has especially touched and you know who you are!! God Bless our Big Beautiful Country and Thank You CNN.

gayat1

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Mark Fullerton, CA

Blue dogs make me sick! There is always enough money to pad the pockets of war mongers. But try to help people with the basics and all of the sudden they are fiscaly responsible.

This guy needs to be removed. End of story!

February 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. Cahrlote

It took the economy 8 years to get into this mess it will not be fixed in 50 days. Instead of grumbling and complaining saying what is not going to work, why don't those that think that they have the solution stop dividing and speak up with positive feedback and stop trying to tear down what is trying to be done. Nothing will work if we all sit around point fingers and hope that soemone else idea fail so that we can say "I knew it wouldn't work". The ideas want work if we all keep working against each other rather than with each other. The elected offficals(some of them)in Washington are not worried about the people who are loosing homes and jobs they have their mansions and jobs secure, they want to see how much more havoc they can raise. Start taking some their pay, homes and let them loose the life style that they are accustom to and see how fast they will find a way to fix things.

February 26, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Steve

Barack Obama spending too much of tax payers money again. This is a surprise? How?

February 26, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Jr

TCM, U TOOK FROM FOX NEWS'S WEBSITE!!! LOL

February 26, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. JS

THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIVE IN MISSISSIPPI. Sorry, but I disagree with this person. I absolutely love that $13 billion will be spent on high-speed rail. Obama has my priorities.... and YES, reverse the Bush era tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans. Let them expire.

February 26, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Helen

Why doesn't this man who I have never ever heard of go take a hike. If he doesn't have anything constructive or positive to say he needs to shut up. Give Obama a chance, I am tired of hearing negatives on the TV, Internet and the news in general. Can we get something positive coming out of these bozos for a change.

February 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Jerky Jackie

Sometimes, when I go shopping for groceries, I buy bulk....although I am not going to eat all the food today, I know that in the long run it is cheaper to do so....even though I can feed myself at the local diner for under $5.00 per meal (or less than $15.00 per day) I can make the very same meal for pennies on the dollar when I buy in bulk....albeit I have to make a lot of the dish and my daily food variety is a little mundane.

I understand exactly what Obama is doing.... though the cost of a thorough and complete grocery list is far greater than that one serving $5.00 meal, our cupboards will finally be stocked.

Is this a hard concept for Americans?? If so, that alone illustrates the greater need for education funding....

February 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Mel of Alexandria, Virginia

This was expected. The Democrats can never walk in lock step like the Republicans do. The President will have to fight some of the members of his own party as well so as to do what is right for the most of the people. The government of the people will have to be relied upon to push through the necessary legislation and budget, because some of these representatives do not make sense. When the circumstances are abnormal we cannot expect that the old ways of turning things around will do.

February 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. ray

Agree with Gene Taylor – This is just the beginning, Obama will put us in an even bigger hole. His programs are will never work. Just spend, spend and spend. The only positive hope is that Obama will only have one term, but by then the US will run out of money. When he gets close to running up the debt even higher – he will then start taxing the American people making 200,000 then 150,000, then 100,000 until he gets down to $50,000 maybe even lower.

I have to give him credit – he is a good preacher – maybe he belongs in a southern church – not president. – wake up America

February 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. gl, Pittsburgh

Anonymous February 26th, 2009 2:59 pm ET

These Are the reasons why i refuse to vote for people running for office who were in these political circles when my parents where young ( now 78 and 83 ) i will only from now on vote only the future next generation into office…
    Let the next generation set the agenda for our future..the previous has us in this situation and it will take the next to get us headed in the right direction…no politician elected over 50…

I agree – over 50 have the same ideas!

February 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. an american first

This is from his Wikipedia profile. Do I need to say any more? This is not unusual at all and it is hardly a story.

"In 1993 [Gene Taylor] was among the minority of Democrats to oppose the budget package favored by President Bill Clinton which included an increase in taxes, and three years before that he had voted against the budget bill that was generally supported by the Democratic Party."

February 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Independent63

How about some sacraftice from the politicians:

Term limits
    Drop 100% retirement pay after 4 years
    Drop special medical care (they can use Medicare like everyone else)

February 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. Candice

I don't understand how elected officials from the POOREST states (La and Ms) can critize and not accept money from the stimulus. These states are in need and it's sad they don't see this. They are SO disconnected from the people who live in their states!

February 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. Melissa

lol. No, the solution would just be to continue as we are. What an idiotic idea.

February 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Boston Democrat

We need more Democrats like this moving away from the radical liberal left towards the center ..... just as we need a fe good republicans to be more centrist in their views.

February 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Melissa

He's obviously not actually a democrat.

February 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. D. Sangiovanni

He has to outline very clear for us what he is talking about. Then the people should decide who is telling the true and who is playing politics.

February 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. CNN moderation purgatory...

america first February 26th, 2009 3:12 pm ET

george bush took OUR money and put it into wars that were UNCALLED for, he took OURJOBS away from AMERICA and gave them to other countries, President Obama is putting money back in AMERICA, he is creating JOBS here in America, for the AMERICAN PEOPLE, (BIG DIFFERENCE).
    --------------------------------–
    I'll give you Iraq, but Afghanistan was very much called for.
    Sorry, but it was CLINTON that sent your job away when he signed NAFTA.
    Show me one non-government job that Obama's plan has or will create.
    Put done the kool aid and drink a cup of reality.

February 26, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. Independent Again

Mike February 26th, 2009 3:07 pm ET

I am sick and tired of these Republicans!!
    _____________________________________________

I guess u never heard of freedom of speech? Well then move to England. Your fascist mentality should fit in well there.

February 26, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |