February 26th, 2009

'It's a new day,' Michelle Obama tells EPA

Michelle Obama spoke to roughly 1,000 EPA staffers, her latest stop in a series of visits to government agencies, thanking employees for their work and assuring them that they have 'unwavering support from a phenomenal president.'

(CNN) – "We now have a president who's going to put science at the heart of our environmental policies and decisions," Michelle Obama said to a cheering crowd of employees at the Environmental Protection Agency Thursday. "It's a new day."

Mrs. Obama spoke to roughly 1,000 EPA staffers, her latest stop in a series of visits to government agencies, thanking employees for their work and assuring them that they have "unwavering support from a phenomenal president."

"This new era puts the EPA at the center of President Obama's highest priorities, securing America's energy independence and securing the future of our planet by combating climate change," the first lady said.

The EPA is an agency whose mission is particularly close to Obama's heart: public health. "I've often spoken about my most important job - being a mom, and like mothers and fathers everywhere, the health and safety of our children is our top priority," she said. "This is what it is all about - the future."

The first lady touted environmental spending in the president's stimulus plan which designates 10.5 billion dollars to the EPA to "continue to clean up our communities and improve the health of our fellow Americans." The boost in environmental spending is nearly 50 percent higher than President Bush asked for in 2008, and includes funds designated to improve sewage treatment plants, drinking water systems and to protect waterways.

The first lady maintained the president will "champion bold policies and make smart investments" like create more energy efficient buildings, Obama said as the crowd roared.

"See now that's exciting, you know you're at the EPA."

Filed under: EPA • Michelle Obama
  1. Bill Austin

Was her name on a ballot?
    Now how much will it add to my kid's taxes, that they'll have to pay, (when they get old enough to work)?

February 26, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. KIA

I am so glad the Obama haters are waking up miserable every day. Hopefully it will start to take a toll on their health....ha ha ha

February 26, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. jeff

Your Husband gave 900 million to Hamas in the Gaza Strip a terrorist organization that has american civilians blood on there hands

February 26, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. Matthew, Detroit

50% of AMERICANS pay 95% of the taxes in America.

5 % of Americans pay 40 % of the taxes in America.

I love how it is so easy for all the bottom feeders to tell everyone else

to pay higher taxes. "You make more than me so pay me to be a bum.

I dont have a job PAY ME. I had 5 kids without a husband PAY ME. I never went to school. PAY ME. I am a lousy teacher PAY ME. I dont know where my kids are PAY ME. I lost my job PAY ME. My job got eliminated because someone works harder, better, more efficient than I do PAY ME. I dont have a work ethic PAY ME. Barack said he would take care of me PAY ME.

Get over it and go find a job. If you cant pay your bills than get another job. Stop watching TV. Stop spending money on $100 basketball shoes. Stop buying what you cant afford. Stop spending your welfare money on BOOZE. You can stay home and you can be a bum. That is up to you.

BUT IF YOU WANT CHANGE, than change and GO GET A JOB. Stop having kids you cant pay for. Read your childrens homework. Pay attention to who your children play with or go out with. Raise your children so that they are responsible and they get their degree. Stop whining.

There are a lot of problems in the US. 95% are caused by you. Take responsibility and stop demanding that others solve them for you.

EVERYONE I know has started from nothing. They all worked hard. They are all from bad neighborhoods. They all paid for their own college. There fathers worked 1 , 2 and even 3 jobs. They did not complain. They worked harder and they achieved.

YEAH I AM OK WITH THE EPA

February 26, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

The EPA is staffed by a bunch of tree-hugging eco-nazis and, since there's no provision for that kind of thing in the US Constitution, the agency ought to be abolished.

February 26, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Matthew, Detroit

Michelle take the check book away from Barack.

He needs your help and has lost his mind.

February 26, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. bsmith171

somebody who has never held a job except for as a bag lady between valerie jarrett and REZKO.

she collected the money.

went to harvard LAW. law license expired in 1993.

she introduced barack to REZKO. REZKO is an illegal immigrant from SYRIA.

February 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. no corporate politics

@ James L. and obama-mama You are today's winners for bringing the cry of racism into an article with absolutely nothing to do with racism.

I know Obama managed to work race into most speeches but he is a politician. Let's do better than that, and keep these comments above the politician level.

February 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. az pete

I'm sick of hearing all the "socialism" comments. None of you know what it really means. What all of you labeled 'communism' was actually closer to socialism. And don't carry on about "free market" - the U.S. hasn't had free market for decades, if ever. When industries and even specific companies receive specially legislated tax treatment and subsidies there can be no free market. Look at the oil industry having record profits and still getting government help! The fact is these industries can't be trusted to regulate themselves because they are all too greedy and don't care about long tem consequences. So when they whine about more government regulation, I say "You did it to yourselves!"

February 26, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. crystalm

I like the fact that the first lady is smart , intelligent , can go around to different agency promoting the Presidency, speaking to the people, she's awesome. I like her she , promotes waht a strong women is . Confident, easy, strong, smart, intelligent. Great First Lady. A Real First Lady

February 26, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Todd

You SHEEP need to wake up. This guy – and his chick – are running us further and further into the ground. The stock market has done nothing but plumett since he took office. NO ONE likes the US any more than they did before. EVERYONE's taxes will go through the roof to pay for all of his ideas (except those on his staff, who apparently feel no need to pay them). The penalties for banks misusing money from the gov't apparently do not apply to his home city – Chicago!

He is a joke. His wife is a joke. And, the Dem party is turning more and more into a joke daily. Repubs won't even need to pick a qualified candidate in 4 years. Your stupidity – while controlling every branch of the gov't – will ensure that they take over again then!!!

February 26, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. John, Rochester MN

AndyL, this stimulus package is smaller than the tax cuts Bush gave to the rich and big business. Remember the old adage "You have to spend money to make money"? Hopefully that's what will happen here, rather than just spending money to make your friends richer.
    The major point of this story, I think, is that we're actually going to have science rather than ideology giving the president suggestions. After eight years, all I can say is thank God.

February 26, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Big D

Al from California.....Your state is currently bankrupt and thanks to you
    and others that supported the "change we can beleive in"....SOON the
    rest of the country will be also. I do NOT know if you are a hard working
    American taxpayer ready and willing to pay your "fair share", or an
    illegal getting your share of both past and future "handouts and
    entitlements". Either way Big Al, a financial tsunami is heading your
    way, and you may want to take cover. Let us know when you and your
    savior (whomever that may be) finally dig California out of it's financial
    mess. By the way, I'm NOT a REPUBLICAN, but I'm proud and glad
    NOT to be from California. GOOD LUCK !!!!

February 26, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Von Clausewitz

I have not been following this much. Is she still proud of America?

February 26, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Michelle – gather up your big spending hubby and get yourselves back on home to Chi-Town where you belong. Maybe Nobama could preach in Rev. Wright's church, he makes such nice sermons! He's got to stop with the spending. I don't see how he can blame GB for the spending he did – Nobama has alreay spent that much with just one bill signing!

February 26, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Sharon Kitchen

Thank you.....thank you.......thank you.

February 26, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. honeychild

Finally a real, educated, active & classy First Lady!.

February 26, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Patty in the CA mountains

Makes me wish I worked for one of those agencies so I could be in one of those cheering crowds. Gotta love the positive attitude.

February 26, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. MJJofSara

AndyL what planet and what century do you live in?
    What a thing to say about Michelle O
    and as to the "budget" go fish.

February 26, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. John, Rochester MN

Oh, by the way, even if there was science saying that the earth has been cooling the last couple of years (which I doubt since I am an avid science magazine reader and haven't seen anything suggesting so), that doesn't mean global warming/climate change isn't happening. That's like saying that since it is raining today there can't be a drought.
    FOX/Newsmax talking points from Obama-mama in

February 26, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Mari

@ ANDY L............ "it took 8 years for Bush to double the national debt".... OBAMA'S BEEN IN OFFICE......... FOR 36 DAYS!

You can't be serious accusing "Obama has spent as being in Iraq 14 years"........... REALLY......... What we KNOW (AND BUSH WAS HIDING THE TRUE COST) is that Bush SPENT .... $10 BILLION...... A MONTH IN IRAQ!

SO......... ANDY L., WHEN OBAMA SUCCEEDS AND OUR NATION RECOVERS....... I SUPPOSE YOU FAR-RIGHT PEOPLE WILL CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN.... CRITICIZE AND DEMEAN.... WHAT ELSE IS NEW?

February 26, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. Mickie

I love how the republicans are complaining NOW about run away spending - AFTER

February 26, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. JC

No wonder Wall Street is nervous. An economy in the toilet and we are going to play with "cap & Trade" , goofy "green" ideas like windmills. Who knows how all this stuff will come together to affect the staggering economy.

February 26, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Mickie

I love how the republicans are complaining about runaway spending NOW - AFTER the Bush/Cheney good 'ol boys already got theirs.

February 26, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. clux64

Get real Andy L. ....you are clearly bitter and clueless. What are you saying, that this administration should take 8 years to clean up the mess that the previous administration made because it took it 8 years to make it? Michelle-you go girl!

February 26, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |