February 26th, 2009

McCain 2.0: Senator on Twitter, with a new BlackBerry to boot

McCain got a new BlackBerry device in January.
McCain got a new BlackBerry device in January.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - John McCain said during the presidential campaign that he "never felt the particular need to e-mail," but he has apparently developed an urge to Twitter.

McCain recently began sending tweets to the more than 88,000 Twitter users following him online, offering brief updates on floor votes, media appearances and his hometown Phoenix Suns.

"steve nash hurt? amare too! what now for the suns!," he wrote about the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday.

Senators have been slower than their House colleagues to embrace the micro-blogging technology, but several members of the upper chamber - notably Missouri's Claire McCaskill and Iowa's Charles Grassley - have been among the most prolific twitterers on Capitol Hill.

While other senators appear on Twitter, many of them (or their staffers) simply use the site to send out formal-looking messages and press releases. But McCain spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan told CNN the Arizona Republican is sending out his own authentic tweets.

According to his Twitter page, the senator is following updates from a handful of journalists who covered his campaign, as well as from a few members of his South Carolina campaign staff.

Buchanan also revealed that McCain is now wielding a brand new BlackBerry, which he picked up in January. That marks a great leap forward for the senator, who spent the campaign attached to his Motorola Razr phone, but never used a PDA.

Throughout the campaign, McCain suffered from the perception that he didn't quite understand the Internet, an assessment that proved damaging in a race against a young, tech-savvy opponent. In an interview with the New York Times last July, McCain said he knew how to use a BlackBerry, but that he didn't have his own.

"I use the BlackBerry, but I don't e-mail, I've never felt the particular need to e-mail," he told the paper.

– CNN's Dana Bash contributed to this report

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Mom

It's called "spin." And, that's what the Republican party is trying to do by offering the press a story about McCain on Twitter. They are simply trying to divert the press from reporting my widely on Governor Jindal's reponse to President Obama's address to the Nation. Governor Jindal is a "scary guy." Those are the words of my children after watching last night's response. There is something about his eyes ... I don't know what it is–he does not seem to have great compassion for people like other great leaders.

February 26, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. Les Etats Rouges Theater

Man, I really hate people who don't look like me. All those immigrants taking away jobs from good Christian Whites and those welfare cases in the ghettos of the big cities are the ones who get all my taxes! John McCain simply wasn't racist enough for me; even if he got himself one of those fancy hand held telephones....he only looks like one of them hippity-hoppity gangster rapper guys. You betcha. I hope my govt. check comes today because I really hate Socialists. That Obama, man, he's like an Islamic minister of some kind – either way, he's not one of 'us'....I bet he doesn't even like monster trucks. Shucks.

February 26, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. lovable liberal

Learning the lesson of the last campaign...

February 26, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. BD

Let me know when he starts his own podcast . . . that might be news.

February 26, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. SGTBIGO

As I read through these posts I'm ashamed for most of you. John McCain (whether you agree with his politics or not) has done more for this country than you will ever dream about. He was a fighter pilot, shot down and became a POW. A POW FOLKS!!! The kind of torture he went through for all of us is tremendous. He's dedicated his life to being a public servant. It doesn't matter if you agree with the man, show some respect for what he's done for this nation. I'm only 27 and I'm sorry, but everytime I hear someone say "Oh he's too old!" it just makes me sick. Just because we're young doesn't mean that our ideas are better. It just means they may be different. Please show some respect here people.

February 26, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  6. Sue

He bought it for $20.00 from GOP campaign headquarter!

February 26, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. JP

Please CNN... stop the cosmetic ads that appear like strobe lights. The constant brush strokes distracts from reading... and that's not so good for people with history of seizure. How can one concentrate and read and understand when the brushes keep moving back and forth?

February 26, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  8. Sniffit

@ Chris, who asked "But, why the name calling and hate? "

Did you sleep through the election cycle and miss all the name calling and hate engaged in by McPampers and the Palinbot and their legions of mindless talking-point regurgitators?

February 26, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  9. Michael

Darn It! I thought they were getting him a Hoveround and a Snuggie!

February 26, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  10. Mom

It's called "spin" and that's is what the Republican Party is doing by offering this story on McCain and Twitter. They want to divert attention from Governor Jindal's response last night to President Obama's address to the Nation. Governor Jindal is a "scary" man. There is something about his eyes ... . He totally lacks compassion for people like other great leaders of our time.

February 26, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. digger

Obama is an idiot. If he is so smart how come he won't let people see is scool records. Could it be he was at the bottom of his class? It appears all he learned was how to make a good speech. He sure doesn't have ant common sence.

February 26, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  12. Ronnie Patrick

I could care less about McCain or what he does. McCain is only for the Republicans and very wealthy. Don't continue to show anything to the American people about McCain for WE DON'T CARE.

February 26, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  13. Freed_From_W

John McCain: For Angry Senator in 2010.
    Slogan: "How does this thing work? Do I click here?"

February 26, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. RepublicansHateAmerica

So wait, I guess the position that he could not type do to POW injuries was not true? LOL! Another Republican lie! It really never ends does it?

February 26, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. Slings and arrows

John McCain is a great man.
    I just thought someone should say it.

February 26, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. Tom

Just another method for McCain to get his ego stroked.

February 26, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. Tulsa L

Read up on your HERO MCCAIN, other than being a POW there is nothing heroic about him.........read up on his Time as a Pow.......while all the others kept their mouths shut, McCain caved into the pressure, so the other POW's that don't get all the recongition that they deserve are the real HERO's, MCCAIN distroyed Navy fighter plans because of his roudy wrecklessness, so give those of us a break that seem to know more about this old fool than you do......

February 26, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. AL

LESS McCain-- Much, Much, Much, Much less of him.
    Who cares, he lost make him go away!!!

February 26, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. Bubba

I thought his fingers were all busted up from saving America from the Viet Cong? It's a miracle! No, wait, it's his assistant typing for him. Now his assistant is cutting the crusts off McCain's sandwich.

February 26, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  20. Jeff, Washington, DC

There are some nasty, hateful, thoughtless comments coming from both poles of the political spectrum here, but mostly from the left. Many may disagree with Sen. McCain's ideologies, but the gentleman from Arizona has served and continues to serve our nation with great honor. Show some respect and bite your tongues.

February 26, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  21. beevee

Nice to know the old man is getting into modern technology. He has to turn it on to use it.

February 26, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. Dem from AZ

MCcain is a has been. Not getting my vote for Arizona senator.

February 26, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  23. itbeme

wonder who turns it on for him.

February 26, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  24. Les Etats Bleus Theater

Like, Oh my God – John McCain got a Blackberry. That’s like so 2006. He’s like totally old and should be retired in Arizona. I’m going to the animal rights protest later, but I want to stop by The Leather Store – I saw these really cute boots on sale. Not that I need a sale, my trust fund pays for them. Why can’t everyone like get along – the world should just talk to each other? Religions are all basically the same, right? I was so happy November 4th me and all of my higher education friends and me had a wine and cheese party. Cover was $250/head Just got my bonus – that should be pretty big. What’s better, California wine or New England Sharp Cheddar Cheese?

February 26, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  25. ray

yes, the obstructionist on the right has become the party of NO these obstructionist on the right destroyed this country and are still doing so. VOTE THESE OBSTRUCTIONIST OUT OF OFFICE NEXT ELECTION.

February 26, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |