February 27th, 2009

Alleged terrorist charged with conspiracy

Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri was a student at Bradley University in Illinois when he was arrested in 2001.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A Qatari man held for years in military custody in the United States was charged Friday in federal court with conspiracy "to provide material support and resources" to al Qaeda, prosecutors announced.

The Supreme Court was to hear arguments in April on a challenge by the suspect, Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, to the principle that the president has the authority to detain suspected terrorists indefinitely and without charges.

The indictment means the case will be transferred to civilian courts for prosecution.

The Supreme Court is likely to approve an expected request from federal prosecutors to dismiss the pending appeal before the justices.

The decision by the Obama administration to criminally charge al-Marri after he spent more than seven years in custody - more than five years in virtual isolation in a Navy brig in North Charleston, South Carolina - is the latest twist in the ongoing legal saga of the only remaining "enemy combatant" held in the United States.

He has been accused of - but until this indictment had never been charged with - being an al Qaeda "sleeper agent."

Full story

Filed under: Obama administration • Supreme Court
  1. Obama Victim

maybe a spot in Obummer cabinent??

February 27, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Prosecute him the fullest extent of the law. Why did he have all those credit card numbers? He's a financier. Keep him in the brig.

February 27, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

So what of the man who trained al qaida militants and as far as his involvement he would be considered a " high target". He was released on the day of Obama's address to congress I think. According to Mr Panetta that Obama would only release them on certain conditions. Surprisingly this one was free to go and arrived in England. What's the deal with that one?

February 27, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Big Ed

He ought to be charged with "having a mullet after 1995" as well!

February 27, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  5. TCM

I think we should let Obama sit and talk things out with this guy; after all, Obama's already apologized to the terrorists, so I'm sure this dude would greet him with hugs and kisses....and of course, since Obama got all the libs in this country to believe in his trite dribble...he can do the same on radical muslims...

February 27, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Brian Crooks

Thank GOODNESS! Charge him. If he did it, put him on Rikers Island. If he didn't, we MUST release him. His story could just as easily be yours or mine.

February 27, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Had It

Bet he ate better than most of the residents of South Carolina.

Those SC senators do NOTHING to help their constituents. Wonder how they get voted in time after time???

February 27, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. arithmetic is liberal

Uh huh huhhuh... must be goin' to hang out with Obama and Bill Ayers with ACORN! Uh huh huh huh...

Sorry, I was channelling TCM for a minute. Wow, that was scary.

February 27, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. debbie

hmm bad guys wear mullets....

February 27, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. RAG

Bush should be charged with the same thing. Keeping this man in an illegal prison uncharged for this length of time so damages American interests that al Qaeda couldn't have done greater damage.

Bush is Bin Ladin's stooge. Bin Ladin wants to destroy American liberty and it economic power. The entire Bush "presidency" worked hard to accomplish exactly that.

February 27, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  11. Fritz

My goodness – so that is what happened to John Oates! No wonder Daryl Hall started his solo career, Oates disappeared, and we have not heard from Hall & Oates ever since.

February 27, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. Nobama

In other news.... Mr Al-Marri was excited to hear he'll be getting a significant tax rebate check under the Obama stimulus plan – irregardless he's not a citizen, nor a tax-payer.

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Sniffit

Jindal lied in his Katrina story...it never happened.

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Mari

@ Obama victim......... your comment only confirms what our Nation knows about the far-right....... small minded people!

I agree with DUTCH......... prosecute to the full extend of the law. The Unites States is a Nation of laws and justice.... for ALL.

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. daniel cabrera

I found this in 'the net', by accident...is a kind of .....refreshing?

"I hope the 2008 to 2012 is an omen. I will puke if the lost sheep in this country re-elect him untill 2016

PSALM 2008-2012: FIRST BOOK OF SOCIALISM

OBAMA IS MY SHEPHERD,
    I SHALL NOT WANT

HE LEADETH ME BESIDE STILL FACTORIES.
    HE RESTORETH MY FAITH IN THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY.

HE GUIDETH ME IN THE PATH OF UNEMPLOYMENT.
    YEAH, THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE BREAD LINE,
    I SHALL NOT GO HUNGRY.

OBAMA HAS ANOINTED MY INCOME WITH TAXES,
    MY EXPENSES RUNNETH OVER MY INCOME, SURELY, POVERTY AND HARD LIVING WILL FOLLOW ME ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE.

THE DEMOCRATS AND I WILL LIVE FOREVER
    IN A RENTED HOME.

BUT I AM GLAD I AM AN AMERICAN,
    I AM GLAD THAT I AM FREE.

BUT I WISH I WAS A DOG
    AND OBAMA WAS A TREE."

So, there you have it,
    have a nice day,
    Daniel Cabrera
    Merrillville, Indiana

February 27, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  16. Steve (the real one)

Charge him with mullet (all business in the front and a party in the back) abuse!

February 27, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  17. ray ray

@ RAG,

Obviously, you're on it (RAG).

February 27, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  18. still hoping

Isn't he due money under the obama spending, excuse me, stimulus plan?

February 27, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |