February 27th, 2009

GOP leaders taking cues from Limbaugh, new ad says

Rush Limbaugh is featured along with several Republican leaders in Congress in a new ad out Friday paid for by two liberal groups.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new ad out Friday argues that the Republican leadership in Congress is following Rush Limbaugh’s lead.

Entitled “No,” the 30-second television spot, highlights Republican opposition to the Obama administration’s $787 billion stimulus package.

“So who are Republican leaders listening to?,” an announcer asks before the ad cuts abruptly to footage of conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh saying “I want him [Obama] to fail.”

“No,” is paid for by Americans United for Change and AFSCME, two groups that supported Obama during the general election and who are advocating for his agenda now that he’s in the Oval Office. The ad airs Friday through early next week on national cable and in the Washington area, according to a statement by Americans United for Change announcing the ad.

Limbaugh is set to speak Saturday in Washington at the Conservative Political Action Conference, an annual gathering of conservative activists.

Updated Noon with RNC response: “The Democrats are running a permanent campaign rather than doing the bipartisan work of governing," Republican National Committee spokesman Alex Conant said in an e-mail to CNN. "These ads are part of the Democrats’ larger strategy to do something, anything to try to take the focus of their massive spending binge," Conant added.

Filed under: Political ads • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Alan

While I do not agree that the Fairness Doctrine is truly fair, Rush Limbaugh certainly makes me yearn for its reimplementation.

February 27, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  2. Ellie

I hear the FAT lady singing right now.....I can't wait till 2010 and 2012 when the GOP realizes they've been punked out by Rush Limbaugh himself!!! This is going to be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

February 27, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. Ray Fisher

Republicans AKA the few the proud, the demented. How appropos for Limbaugh to be their mental guru as they follow the sign of the burning cross!!! The mentally sick, lame & lazy need something to do so society won't step on their "Dittos". What a childish group of losers...

February 27, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  4. Eric

How can anyone listen to a man about not expanding government when he can't even govern the amount of food he puts in his fat mouth.

February 27, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  5. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

Just what are Limbaugh's credintials anyway?

February 27, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

And this is a surprise to who? Given that Limbaugh is louder and less couth doesn't mean they share the same ideas. Republicans claim to be conservative and Limbaugh claims to be... Well, something that I don't think he is. He certainly doesn't speak for a large portion of America.

February 27, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. geraldine

Shoot the messenger instead of addressign the message? is that the best they can do? Love or hate any or all Republicans, but the focus should be on the merits of the debate and not what people think of Rush or Bush or Hannity or Newt or whomever.

Otherwise, I might as well say I don't agree with Obama's policy becuase I don't like Keith Olberman.

February 27, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. Ken from missouri

Surely , their is somone better because all Rush does is complain
    we need someone to give better ideas than the president we can't
    act like a bunch of babies every time he has a new plan we have got to show the american people that our solutions are better untill we do that were screwed.

February 27, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  9. Shelli

Rush is an A_ _. So are the Republicans that follow him. He has helped the Republicans lose the House and Senate because these fools have followed what he has been saying and the United States is in the toilet because of Republicans following this dummy. I think he is back on the drugs that he's been using and must have given some to the Repubs that followed him and are still following him.

Shelli of Stone Mountain, GA

This is the main reason that I changed my voting to Democrat because of stupid stuff like this. I am sure many others have done the same.

February 27, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Baze

Rush Limbaugh should know all about pork, he's the biggest pig this side of the pen.

February 27, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  11. Libertarian

When will the Republicans understand that Rush is an ENTERTAINER only looking out for his own pocket book. It's all about ratings and he could care less about America. He flunked out of school for pete sake and admits being a drug addict!

February 27, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  12. Gary

Rush is often obnoxious and partisan in his radio show. I can usually agree with only about half of what he says and I never particularly liked the way he says it. Unfortunately, right now he is absolutely right. Right about the pork bill we called stimulus. Right about Pelosi, Reid and maybe Obama. Right about the mounting debt. Right about the direction towards socialism. I guess this time I'm actually gonna have to say "GO RUSH."

February 27, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  13. JB

I'd rather eat a roll of aluminum foil everyday for a year than listen to Limbaugh spew his right wing vitriol.

February 27, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  14. Ray Lawson from Danville, VA

I'm glad we have Rush Limbaugh to speak for us in this country.
    He is one voice to combat the united socialist activism from the mainstream news media. I hope more of the republicans in Washington are listening to him.

February 27, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  15. Kevin in Ohio

More fuel for the liberal's fire. Good going, CNN.

February 27, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. D O

GOP why don't you allowed our NEW PRESIDENT OBAMA fix your mess BUSH has done to This Great country idiots

February 27, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. Q

And this is news? Sounds like political pandering to me...do I sense some Repbulican hate going no here?

February 27, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. Todd

Yet another example of the lies of this decietful President that we have. "I'm going to bring all Americans and all parties together!" This is a great way to do it, Mr Obama!

Oh, and I did read that the ad is not from Barrack....but are truly naive enough to think that he had nothing to with it or give it his blessing??

February 27, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. Q

And this is news? Sounds like political pandering to me...do I sense some Repbulican hate going on here?

February 27, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  20. Anonymous

Are you dems scared of Rush or what? I never listen to the man – I'm quite capable of gathering the facts and researching things on my own. I have come up with the unmistaken conclusion that Nobama is going to be a complete failure with his spend, spend and more spend mantra! He is quickly sending this country into bankruptcy and the dems are backing him. Do you people really think that we have to have someone tell us how to think like you do? You bunch of liberal fools will follow Nobama around, hanging on his every word, right into the poor house!

February 27, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  21. proud army navy mom

Rush is a big fat idiot and so are the people who worships him.

February 27, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  22. niun

First of all why you spreading rumors? That is not what rush said he said i want OBAMA'S Policy's to fail!!!!! BIG difference! And what if they taking ideas from rush what is wrong with that ? It's a lot better then taking ideas from Polosi or REID! No wounder you wanna shut down talk radio!

February 27, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. Kimberly in Azizona

Republicans seem to WANT to be the party of nothing. They certainly are not taking any sort of steps to try and re-build their following. They have gone so far right that only the loons are still following them. I love it of course, it just cements the future of the Democratic party. Rush and ann coulter are NUTS, and as long as they run their ignorant traps, and the republicans in congress let them appear to be the leaders, well the better for the country, because they gaurantee their demise.

February 27, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. Sniffit

Nice picture. See kiddies? That's the face of evil, ignorance and self-righteous hate. The Bloated Bloviating Blowhard himself, seated at the right hand of the devil.

February 27, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. montag

So the GOP takes their marching orders from an obese, drug-addicted, lying snake-oil saleman. How appropo!

It'll be like lemmings walking off a cliff into the sea and drowning. I love it!

February 27, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |