February 27th, 2009
3 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Silver Foot

Nice Lady .....She's looking like Mama BUSH !!!

February 27, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  2. Ian

no-one "blames bush for 9-11" or "blames Bush for Katrina"... these were things that happened on his watch. What he is blamed for is the total incompetence in the way he handled these situations.. And the total incompetence – and corruption – that his administration enable and allowed in the last 8 years.

Now Republicans are hoping Obama fails and can't fix the mess he inherited. Duh – you want it to get even worse?

February 27, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  3. Donna from Minnesota

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF WHOMEVER,DOES NOT LET MY OPINION THRU. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THAT WHAT I E-MAILED DID NOT GO THRU. SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS

February 27, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. Ian

@CharlesinDallas... you estimated GW's IQ to be 85 – no, that's way too high.

February 27, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  5. American Patriot

Screw the Bushes! Their entire family is a disgrace to this country!

February 27, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. Observant

Good for you Laura, I think its great that you are enjoying life. It is just too bad that your haband left the rest of us with a lot of problems.

February 27, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  7. skeptic1

How do either of them sleep at night with what their administration did to our country? Simply too stupid, or calculatingly callous – pick one.

February 27, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  8. Chris

Cheney must have had an extra copy of the Grinch

February 27, 2009 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  9. cmoore

Look at the stock market loss this month under Obama, he is a failure and so is the Democrats in Congress. 2010 and 2012 are getting closer!!!!!!!!

February 27, 2009 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  10. Proud American

TCM@ Wow I thought you took your racist Idiot comments and went back in your hole on Jan. 21, 2009. Sounds like your really upset now that it really happened. Americans went out an voted a blackman into office. Times are changing get over it Moron.

February 27, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  11. Dave

What a freak.

February 27, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

yuck. this is one fugly lady. can't stand that wicked witch smile of hers.

February 27, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  13. James in California

Come on quit your whining about what people are saying about Bush. It seems to be the same people complaining about what is being said about Bush had no problem mouthing off about President Clinton and First Lady Hillary when they left the Whitehouse.

Oh, that’s right those on the right still do mouth off about President Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton.

Do as I say, not as I do. What comes around goes around but now the shoe is on the other foot.

That’s right the last eight years of Bush is not his fault after all it was Clintons fault we are in the mess we are in because Bush threw out Clinton’s intelligence reports and start from scratch to do it the Bush way.

Same way with tax cuts during time of war, which was brilliant leadership, NOT!

Out with old and in with the new. President Obama is bit of fresh air in Washington.

Now move on…

February 27, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  14. S.W

Good for the Bushes,
    now maybe some people could start showing them some respect. You may not agree politically, but they were elected. And those who piss and moan are like the annoying whinny children everyone wants to shut up.

February 27, 2009 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  15. Anonymous

All I know is May God have mercy on your souls, no matter what political affiliation you are. Have any of you read the Bible lately? It talks about the War in Iraq,(George got us into that one) and about a man that comes out of obscurity (could that possibly be Barack Obama?) that claims that he will do great things for the world and makes great promises (kind of peculiar how he promised "change" in his campaign) to the people and he is known all over the world, there are schools named after him, there is a mountain named after him, and for what? He is just a man. No more, no less. But in the Bible, it talks about the Antichrist being known all over the world and him standing in the temple mount that is now being built in Jerusalem claiming to be the messiah. When he was in a recent political rally or a conference people referred to him as "God" and his reply was "that's good" , "that's good." He has been referred to as "The One." I am not afraid because in the Bible it says "Be ye not afraid." But, in end times, it talks about how Governments will fall. Look around you, everyone! It is happening right before your eyes! Our economy is broke! The world's economy is crashing. Their will be food shortages in the future. States are talking about succeeding from the Federal Government. And it is all foretold in the Bible. I am neither here to criticize anyone or to compliment anyone. I am a Christian, and it also says in the Bible to bear witness to others. In the Bible it says the Eagle will fall. Do you know what the Eagle is? It is the national bird of the United States! My family and I are preparing! We live in a rural area, we are going to grow our own food, we pray, we homeschool our children, etc. I am not saying this is what you have to do. Just thought I would open some people's eyes. Do your homework about certain states succeeding from the union. And if you don't want to hear it from a religious perspective, today on Yahoo news, right in the headlines it said that 73% of people polled put more faith in people that politicians. I myself think that the roll of the Government has long lost its way and our forefathers are probably rolling in their graves right now. This is NOT what they intended our country to be! It lost its way about oh, 70 years ago. Or maybe 40 years ago, I can't give it a number, but we fought hard to keep our liberties from England, and well, I don't really think we have had much of any of our own civil rights in quite some time – either democratic or republican. But I don't know if Obama is the Antichrist or not. It also says in the Bible, to not judge lest ye be judged. I just know that we are absolutely in end times. And I welcome it. As far as Laura Bush is concerned, she is a beautiful woman, and that is all I have to say, and I will not judge her, nor will I judge any other human being on this earth. You can judge the sin, but you are not to judge people. We are all God's children. I love all of you and I hope that you learn to love each other in this dangerous world we live in. God Bless!

February 27, 2009 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  16. Sherry

All of you trailer-trash and low-life people that voted for Obama can just get a grip on yourself and stop worrying about Mr. and Mrs. Bush. You better start worrying about the new so called "messiah" that you just elected for our president and all of the money that he is spending. At least we were kept safe for eight years and the debt that was left from the last years is nothing compared to the debt that we will inherit when Obama gets through with us. Somewhere in the world there are retarded mules sitting around that are smarter than Obama and his democratic team! ONLY GOD CAN HELP US NOW THAT OBAMA IS IN THE HOUSE!

I wished Hannity or Beck would run for President.

February 28, 2009 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  17. Waiting in WV

I, too am anxiously waiting for Nov. 2012 when we get the chance to send Obama back to the corruption of Illinois. Maybe he could run for governor?

February 28, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. heather

@ Chad. There is only ONE messiah and his name is Jesus Christ.

February 28, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. David Dean

Guys...she is a sweet lady...who "stands by her man".She's almost alone in that regard...but...give her credit.

March 1, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |