February 27th, 2009
3 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Bill

After trashing the country and economy, they worry about hot having a table... Elitist snobs.

February 27, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. Maggie

You all call conservatives mean and bitter but I read through all of these post and that is all I see from Liberals. When do you guys plan on growing up and start respecting other human beings? You think that everyone should be tolerant of everyone no matter what they look or act like yet you donot follow your own advice???? I hope you all take the plank from your own eye so as to see better to remove the splinter from someone elses,

February 27, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  3. Gop

Gee it is so nice of these dim-wit democrats in here just talking trash. Well I will admit Bush ran up a huge bill but it took him and congress 8 years to do it. They lord Obama has out did Bush here by adding trillions more on to it in only 1 month time.

Just think what he can do in 4 years. And don’t worry about how he will get all this money I think it’s a good bet the treasury will just print out as much as we need.

And if that is not enough he will just tax everything he can get his hands on. Welcome to your future of change I HOPE you like it!

February 27, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  4. rbn alexandria, mn

I would have to move to my own Island – it would be hard to secure the airspace, so I guess I will not running for any office. I could advise on social issues as needed though. You got a like Laura, she reminds me of my mom.

February 27, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  5. Obamasadouche

Patty in the CA mountains Wrote:
    Please tell me I'm wrong on this….."the secret service next door"…..are the taxpayers (me and you) paying for/buying a 2nd house in the exclusive Dallas, gated community for the secret service to live in??? When does it end….the ongoing cost of secret service protection ought to be paid for out of the money bush stole from the American people during the last 8 years.

Hey dipsh!t. How much taxpayer money do you think we are paying to follow Clinton to his many homes and Hill arond the world. Get a clue.

February 27, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  6. chuck

BACK TO THE OLD ROUTINE!!!!!!! DOES THAT MEAN GEORGE IS BACK ON THE DRUGS AND LAURA IS SUPPLYING THE ORAL SEX????

February 27, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  7. Norom

Sheri
    Read the bill. There is nothing in it about a rail line from LA to Vegas. Try getting your opinions somewhere other than Limpbaugh. Repeating the same lies over and over does not make them the truth. Or do you just enjoy looking stupid?

February 27, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. Stream Of Consciousness

@

Lol...show some respect for him?? You mean the same respect his crooked administration has showed for due process, and our Constitutional rights??

I think not.

February 27, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  9. BP92

Jim Carroll – This is an article and discussion about George and Laura Bush. I hardly think Mr. Obama will be reading it for political or warfare advice.

It makes you sound a little "out there".

February 27, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  10. Idealist

Laura Bush seems like one of the gestapo officers' wives....

She just looked the other way while many were tortured, killed, maimed, bankrupted, etc. under her husband's "regime".

Good Christian woman – NOT!!!

February 27, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. Stream Of Consciousness

@ Dan

Lol…show some respect for him?? You mean the same respect his crooked administration has showed for due process, and our Constitutional rights??

I think not.

February 27, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. E

Git a grip, stop the Bush bashing and move forward. We did this economic crisis to ourselves by investing in the housing market and to much consumer spending.

So what if Mrs. Bush forgot to watch the State of the Union-I didn't either. I was busy working to pay my taxes!

February 27, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  13. SgtBigO

Jim Carroll,

You're an idiot. Please stop talking about military strategy. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and need to shut up.

February 27, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. Holly in Albuquerque

Talk about living in a bubble....

February 27, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

To listen to Michelle say to students at Howard University that she is still learning and does not know even at 45, what she would like to be, tells me she should go back to her momma in Chicago for basic manners. Toned arms won't cut it. Former First Lady is the most elegant of the 80's, 90,s 2000. Come 2012 the fan of local, fresh, delicious veggies may find herself cutting collard greens in her own kitchen. Can we be told of the menu at the next White House function? Catfish is kind of tasteless.

February 27, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. Steve

Guys it's ok... let them rant on Bush. Dependency can be an ugly thing... these people have dedicated eight years to picking apart Bush. Now that he is out of office they have had a tough time...

Please, let them pick on Laura. One day they will think rationally. Keep in mind it took the media years of peppering of misinformation. They even sacrificed one of their beloved (at CBS) for the glory of misinformation.

Blame one man over and over and fault for our actions will melt away.

Please grow up guys... You just make the rest of the country want to vote GOP... (if we could only send the nuts from that party to you)

February 27, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  17. erick in alabama

wow! what idiots are on here form both sides.Mrs. Obama will be first lady now and if Mr. Obama wins re election if he choses to run again.why do people keep blaming clinton?!he only wanted every american to have the chance to own a home (given decent income). He never said live beyond your means or the fact that people lose jobs.this mess happened on Bush's watch and he should have seen it coming and did something to weaken the blow.he didn't.mrs. bush is a nice lady, but that was a huge diss to obama about the speech.

February 27, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  18. Teddy K

WOW....

I try to be a civil person. Never seen such hate form what is supposed to be a tolerant society.

Perhaps one of you haters can tell me why Mrs. Obama's right to practice law in Illinois was revoked by court order?

Please keep the replies civil.

February 27, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  19. lililac

she is the best first ladies the us has had. at least the bush's are not out celebrating with stevie wonder in a fancy dinner using taxpayers money while americans are seeking a meal to eat. how pathetic.

February 27, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  20. Texas Proud!

TO: Chuck regarding your comment "LIPSTICK ON A PIG"

Son, were you raised in a barn with the pigs where manners didn't matter?
    I wasn't a Bush fan nor am I an Obama fan, but I know enough to be polite. I was taught manners while growing up and to this day use them. Something tells me you either were not taught manners or slept during the entire lesson. This is someone's wife, mother, grandmother, and friend. Show a little respect even if you don't agree with them. You might find you like life a little better and have more friends.

Good Lord, what is happening to everyone. Nothing wrong with an opinion, but when it becomes insulting with no merit, well, maybe it's just best to do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut!

February 27, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  21. well there it is

Gee all the Democrats want to forget. Apparently some already have such as the one that forgot Bush didn't cause the 9/11 attacks but blames Bush. Nor the Democrats that feel that Obama's plan to downscale our efforts in Iraq isn't enough. I guess that group forgot what happened in South Vietnam within weeks of the US withdrawal

February 27, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Brad

Personally, being that I am a man, I love bush!!

February 27, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  23. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

Thank god the comments were not closed for me to tell Laura what I think of her after 30 days gone...

You are as bad as old idiot george!

Give another dinner party for 16 people. Your husband destroyed our country and left it on the toilet.

I hope they will post this.

February 27, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. dick delson

I didn't know THE MORON could read*

February 27, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  25. BP92

People, people, people.

George and Laura are just people. They are imperfect like everyone else on earth. Except they had the guts to expose their life and decisions to worldwide scrutiny.

How many of you could live under such a microscope? Instead, why not respect the office of the President and honor those who have had to make a sacrifice that can only result in someone being disappointed.

How many of you made no mistakes, misjudgements or dumb statements in the last 8 years. Yeah, that's what I thought, not one of you.

February 27, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |