February 27th, 2009
3 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Lesa

Angie, It looks as if you cared enough to read the article.

February 27, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. Raymond

@ SNIFFIT & Patricia,

Thanks, Grammar geeks. My original post was to read:

"How many speeches did Laura Bush mate to the EPA *AS* FLOTUS?"

But all the extra attention to my post stands – Michelle is Hillary on Steriods, while Mrs Bush remains the model of dignity.

February 27, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. Chad

The level of hatred on this message board towards George and Laura is childish. People, Bush-Bashing is so 2007, get on with your lives and be happy, the Messiah is here.

February 27, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. dont drop the soap Georgie

You forever disgraced the great state of Texas Georgie,im just glad you werent born here,and I wont mind it if you leave.

February 27, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Jamie

Dang....glad I have a job, sorry to all you people who don't go to college, and remain on socialist websites like CNN to post your ignorant blogs. :)

Hulk(Huck)/Palin 2009!

February 27, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. nolapearl

While I am thrilled that W is gone, Laura Bush should be left alone. She did do alot for others. She was very involved in making lives better for thousands of women in Afghanistan and made many un-televised trips to New Orleans after Katrina to visit the schools and she brought money to rebuild libraries. Rather than bad mouth her, we should all be educating ourselves better on how government works and finding solutions rather than being ignorant and spouting off ideologies – which only makes morons like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Colter richer.

February 27, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  7. BC

Love ya Laura honey, but life is tough all around for everybody.

And a lot of that is your dimwit husband's fault.

February 27, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  8. Dexter in Houston TX

I know I voted against her husband, but I have always admired Laura Bush.

February 27, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

An ardent champion of Afghan women's rights!

DON'T FEED US MORE CRAP PLEEEEEEASE!

February 27, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  10. Jie

Angie, you are the super moron in US!

February 27, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  11. tee

TINA
    YOU ARE A COMPLETE NUTCASE

February 27, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. arithmetic is liberal

I have a question for hunters:

How does one shoot a quail with a shotgun? Wouldn't it explode?

February 27, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

TO BP92

YEAH, BUT WE DIDN'T DESTROY A COUNTRY AND KILLED 1000'S OF PEOPLE.

OUR IMPERFECTIONS ARE WAY DIFFERENT THAN THE BUSHES!

February 27, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. charlie

I have no problems with Mrs. Bush. Her husband is another matter. He will forever be known as the worst president in history.

February 27, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  15. sick n tired of CNN moderators

Spare us you're hardships Mrs Bush! And welcome to reality!

February 27, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. sick of the haters

TO ALL YOU BUSH HATERS...... PUT YOUR HAND BACK IN YOUR POCKET AND GET A JOB. STOP MAKING ME SUPPORT YOU BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO WORK.

February 27, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  17. Muddle

Lynn

Irregardless despite it's controversy is in fact a word used quite regularly in North America. It may be considered a nonstandard word and an illogical double negative, however you'll find it in many dictionary's with the caveat that one should use regardless instead. Irregardless the word police can officially stand down on this one, Websters Dictionary and a host of others already have.

February 27, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. S

They have taken millions of dollars in oil profits and can't afford furniture!!! Give me a break!

February 27, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Well, Laura, I didn't watch George's addresses to Congress either.

I simply chose to forget.

February 27, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. dibick99

i really feel sorry for the bushes. if he couldn't put aside enough monies from the 400,000 he was paid every year (he was worth about 1) then maybe the old man and the silver fox can lend him some money.

all i can say is tough sh__.

February 27, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  21. tee

LILILAC
    WHAT WRONG WITH STEVIE WONDER? HE IS A ICON. WHO ARE YOU? i'M SURE PRESIDENT OBAMA COULD AFFORD TO PAY FOR DINNER WITH THE MONEY HE HAS EARNED, BETTER YET STEVIE COULD PAY FOR DINNER THEN BUY YOU FOR A DOLLOR FIFTY.
    HE WOULDN'T WANT TO OVER SPEND.

February 27, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. Life is like a news forum, full of talk no action.

*** Tosses knife in the middle of forum floor, watches republicans and democrats attack each other ***

Party on Wayne;-P

February 27, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. Ken

I have no feelings for these people. They are trillionaires. They ruined my country and they don't deserve me feeling anything close to mercy!

February 27, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  24. common sense

I have read so much nonsense I don't know where to start. First if you have lost your job. I am sorry. You cant blame people for your lot in life unless you are willing to look in the mirror. This country has gone from a can do country to a country that wants to find someone to blame. There is only one way to get back on your feet. Self Responsibility! There are so many opportunities in the world today there are no excuses! I see them everyday and yes it may not be the perfect situation but there is no one person to blame.

As for Bush , there is no one else you would have wanted at the helm of this country after 9/11.He made mistakes but if you want to blame him you need to lump Nancy Pelosi , Harry Reid, and Barack in that group. I am tired of hearing I inherited this.. Last time i check he was 1 of 100 senators the last few years. Once again blaming someone else for their problems.

Obama as president is off to a horrible start but soon he will let Nancy Pelosi she is not the president . He will get a backbone soon and then we can make a judgement on him.

February 27, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. another independent

@ independent

You made the most sensible comments of all. So many people are spewing hate on both sides. In fact, they are so out of control, they don't even take time to proof read what they write before clicking on the submit button. How can this country get on the right path. Thinking that it's "our way or no way" is not the foundation of this country. It's a system of checks and balances. Don't take that away from us! We are lucky to be in a country where there are no walls-yet.

February 27, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |